Instructed to call customer? What?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
What? A note? I don't read notes.
HAH! I have had 2 recent encounters with a guy that has a note on his back door to deliver all packages to the shop waaaaay in the rear of his property. Called in a complaint about 2 months ago because I left a note on the back door stating I needed a signature. So I played his game and now he has to sign for everything.......until the other day when I looked at the faded crumpled old note......and, feeling rebellious, I dr'd the boxes on the back porch. Yeah.....I got another concern.

35years

Gravy route
1. Don't ever give the office, your sup or manager your cell number.

2. If they say to call a customer, driver, or office, use the DIAD to tell them how many miles you will have to drive/time it will cost to find a customer phone. Even if you have a truck break down do not fall for the "we need your number for the tow truck driver"; they can relay messages through the DIAD. Let them know on no uncertain terms your phone and minutes are yours, and they do not have permission to call your cell ever. If they have your number now, tell them they are not allowed to call it or give it out. Block their numbers. Make sure you check the list in the office and scribble over it yourself if need be. File a grievance if they violate.

3. Use your phone if and when you feel like it. Never when they say to. Always dial *67 before dialing any UPS employee or customer.

If you do this consistently they will stop the nonsense, and will not ask you to call in/call so and so anymore. It saves time and hassle. You don't need to enable the sup or OMS who is to lazy to use the DIAD to communicate. You will be the last person they will want to contact to take stops off the lazy driver close to you.

porkwagon

HAH! I have had 2 recent encounters with a guy that has a note on his back door to deliver all packages to the shop waaaaay in the rear of his property. Called in a complaint about 2 months ago because I left a note on the back door stating I needed a signature. So I played his game and now he has to sign for everything.......until the other day when I looked at the faded crumpled old note......and, feeling rebellious, I dr'd the boxes on the back porch. Yeah.....I got another concern.
It is not easy and it takes some practice and discipline, but you should train yourself to not see notes brother!

underworked1

There is no call to be made. A consignee cannot direct you to do something that is not part of our methods.
All I was saying is if you are unsure call in and let management make the call. Never make the calls on your own. Even if it's the same action they directed you to do last week, make them make the calls.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I have a little book with the phone numbers of everyone on my route. I just start my day by finding a big parking lot to sit in and giving everyone a call: "Come get your sh*."

happybob

Feeders
OMS: please call this customer at .....
ME: What do I use to call them with?
OMS: Your cell phone....
ME: That's for my business, not for UPS business. Your phone is for UPS business, please use it and don't ever ask me to use my phone for UPS business...have a nice day!

watdaflock?

One thread on the brown cafe talks about how great UPS is, willing to make a "special delivery" for a six year old boy named Bobby who has cystic fibrosis which is followed by a discussion of a driver "too busy" to make a simple phone call to a customer.

Funny.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There's a guy in our building that destroys his Orion miles every day. And that's exactly how he does it.
I know where in town a lot of my rural customers work, I could save a ton of miles by delivering to their work instead of their homes. That knowledge does come in handy when we have a weather emergency though.

BUCN85

One thread on the brown cafe talks about how great UPS is, willing to make a "special delivery" for a six year old boy named Bobby who has cystic fibrosis which is followed by a discussion of a driver "too busy" to make a simple phone call to a customer.

Funny.
Yea that's one thing. That's not an annoying housewife who wants their zappos box early..

SmithBarney

This is new to me. Today I was " instructed" to call a customer that wanted to meet me for their pkg. I told oms I'm way to burried to stop and call and deal with it but they could call the customer and let them know where I'll be and they can meet me. Apparently this wasn't good enough.

Give OMS a rough list of addresses where you will be in the next 15-20 minutes... if cust not there, keep on moving..