Interesting insights on Ground.

Gone fishin

I know. I had friends that were Express. They were very highly thought off among us. It’s a :censored2:in shame what is happening. I started over 30 years ago and I envied the Express drivers.
The day fedex went public , was the last day that fedex cared about their employees and company. Downhill after that

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If I was so poorly prepared as to have only one driver I would stand to lose a few million dollars. My motivation is probably bit more than the poor shmuck Express got to manage a building in podunk Alaska.
Then you admit it’s management to blame, not the Express driver.

Thanks for validating.

It will be fine

Then you admit it’s management to blame, not the Express driver.

Thanks for validating.
The all employee model is failing in this market. FedEx had better service with contractors. They’ve been all employee for a year in Alaska and can’t keep a staff. It’s a point against all the Express drivers that say the only way to improve service is an all employee model. Where are you getting lost?

bbsam

Staff member
The all employee model is failing in this market. FedEx had better service with contractors. They’ve been all employee for a year in Alaska and can’t keep a staff. It’s a point against all the Express drivers that say the only way to improve service is an all employee model. Where are you getting lost?
But contractors have high turnover as well. The underlying problem is that FedEx doesn’t value employee retention. Employees are a drain on profits, not a valuable asset.

yadig

Do you really believe this? 😂

yadig

The ground guy delivering to my shop. He told me that he’s the owner and can’t keep help! He seemed disgusted and wanted out. I told him to hang in there because a lot of express guys pensions we’re counting on em!😂

1696681010678.png

It will be fine

But contractors have high turnover as well. The underlying problem is that FedEx doesn’t value employee retention. Employees are a drain on profits, not a valuable asset.
The average contractor has more on the line than the average express middle manager. This Express manager will just transfer or be demoted or quit for a different job entirely. A contractor in the same situation might lose a substantial investment and will go to greater lengths to find drivers and provide service.

Both would be better off if FedEx corporate properly valued labor but the incentives for local management are pretty far apart.

FedupExpress

Did you read the article? Express can’t hire drivers in this Alaska market. Service has gotten worse after they eliminated the Ground contractor. What do you think is happening?
They are likely making these poor saps handle both ground/express for pennies... I don't know many express drivers that don't want to quit.

MassWineGuy

My station is in a major metro area and hasn’t been affected yet. No one has a clue about what may happen or when. At least they’re not admitting it. In March I’ll qualify for the maximum Social Security payment and I’ll assess the situation. I definitely wouldn’t mind not having to endure our POS senior manager, who never worked as a courier a day in her life.

vantexan

So lesser paid Ground drivers are going to do better in an extremely expensive state?

MAKAVELI

Yes, let's give even lower paid drivers everything and everything will be good. LMFAO!

bacha29

Did either of you read the article? Service has fallen off after Express took over. There was better staffing with the Ground contractor. Are you really debating the reality? It’s what happened.
According to the data Alaska's population peaked in 2016 and has been slowly falling since. Fewer people around means fewer people available especially when the number of Alaskan residents age 65+ increased by 75.7% between 2011 and 2021.

So what does this mean? Fewer people still living in Alaska and they're getting old.

Ok, Mr. Boston Metro....cowboy up!

It will be fine

According to the data Alaska's population peaked in 2016 and has been slowly falling since. Fewer people around means fewer people available especially when the number of Alaskan residents age 65+ increased by 75.7% between 2011 and 2021.

So what does this mean? Fewer people still living in Alaska and they're getting old.

Ok, Mr. Boston Metro....cowboy up!
None of what you are rambling about changes the reality that staffing was better with the Ground contractor. Ground contractor had drivers, Express took over and now doesn’t have drivers. It’s pretty simple.

vantexan

None of what you are rambling about changes the reality that staffing was better with the Ground contractor. Ground contractor had drivers, Express took over and now doesn’t have drivers. It’s pretty simple.
How does Ground freight get to Alaska? Are you familiar with Express service in Alaska?

vantexan

How does Ground freight get to Alaska? Are you familiar with Express service in Alaska?
@It will be fine OK, read the article. We're talking one town in Southeast Alaska. You extrapolated that to Express in the entire state can't provide as good service as Ground. Over the years I've seen openings in Sitka, even talked to the mgr in Juneau about it. It was one of those desired locations that took some seniority to get into. Express may very well not by itself provide as good of service but before there were both Ground and Express there so let's get off the Ground was providing better service when they ran the show because that was never the case. If Ground was there by itself and had to deal with the time commitments of Express along with all the Ground they'd have trouble too.

MAKAVELI

Did you read the article? Express can’t hire drivers in this Alaska market. Service has gotten worse after they eliminated the Ground contractor. What do you think is happening?
What's happening is FedEx pushed more work on employees and gave a :censored2:ty 3.5% raise. That's why they walked off in that town. You believe Ground will do the additional Express work with even less pay? I have some beachfront property in AZ to sell you.🤣