Interviewed for Package handler but starting out as a PT supervisor any advice?

I don't want to give out too much info. But basically I applied for the position as a Package Handler to get my "foot in the door". I did well in the interview process and am starting as a PT supervisor. I been looking around and reading up as much info as I can about the position. But is there any advice you could give me that will help me hit the ground running? I am very motivated and I learn fast. I would love some insight on the position and what it entails! This forum has been very helpful so far. I am looking forward to any responses I start in a couple of weeks! Just wanted to be familiar with any procedures that I need to eventually follow. Thank you in advance!

@OlympicLifter95 , why do you want to work for UPS (you said you applied for a Package Handler position to get your "foot in the door" )?
correct! Well because I see the opportunity here to grow and start a career here. From what I understand they have a lot of opportunities to grow within the company. So my original plan was to work my way up to part time sup, then Full time sup, then manager. During this time I will finish my degree in Electrical Engineering then go into that department. Do you have any experience in these positions?

You'll be a perfect manager from the sounds of it already cause you have no clue what your employees go through on a daily basis...just kidding...sorta

Well are you a package Handler? I mean that's why I would like some insight. I do understand that packages need to come in at a specific rate. If not there needs to be some critiquing. I been reading these forums for some insight. Do you have any experience or things you would do better if you were a Sup?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Well are you a package Handler? I mean that's why I would like some insight. I do understand that packages need to come in at a specific rate. If not there needs to be some critiquing. I been reading these forums for some insight. Do you have any experience or things you would do better if you were a Sup?
I worked part time for 4 years...I didn't know they hired people straight into management...really though if you're working pre load as a part time sup you walk around and tell people to work faster and harder...you'll be fine

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

That's cute.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Um, generally speaking, there is very little advancement out of a part time supervisor position. And as far as your degree, while there there is a plant engineering department and undoubtedly some corporate level planning and coordination positions, I would imagine in this day and age most of the engineering work is done by vendors/contractors.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but you should probably set a definite time line for yourself. Something like 6 months after graduation to make FT supe (start sending out resumes at 5 months). Then maybe 18-24 months to get into the PE dept (if you still want to work in your degree field).
As a PT or even FT supe or manager, you won't have much leeway to do much of anything to 'do things better'. You are given a set of production numbers to meet, that is constantly being ratcheted up, typically without any improvement to the facilities/equipment that would facilitate you reaching these goals. Are you willing to falsify labor hours reported by doing production work as management? Are you willing to to falsify time codes or shave time from employees (steal their wages). Will you look the other way or even encourage employees to not follow the established work methods, even though employees' safety or the packages might be at risk?

Um, generally speaking, there is very little advancement out of a part time supervisor position. And as far as your degree, while there there is a plant engineering department and undoubtedly some corporate level planning and coordination positions, I would imagine in this day and age most of the engineering work is done by vendors/contractors.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but you should probably set a definite time line for yourself. Something like 6 months after graduation to make FT supe (start sending out resumes at 5 months). Then maybe 18-24 months to get into the PE dept (if you still want to work in your degree field).

As a PT or even FT supe or manager, you won't have much leeway to do much of anything to 'do things better'. You are given a set of production numbers to meet, that is constantly being ratcheted up, typically without any improvement to the facilities/equipment that would facilitate you reaching these goals. Are you willing to falsify labor hours reported by doing production work as management? Are you willing to to falsify time codes or shave time from employees (steal their wages). Will you look the other way or even encourage employees to not follow the established work methods, even though employees' safety or the packages might be at risk?

Wow thank you for the insightful post! That has been the general theme around here. That there is little advancement out of the part time position. I might get my AA In engineering while working towards my main degree In Electrical Engineering. I agree time lines are very important I plan to sticking to those you have stated.

That is discouraging to hear to be honest. If that is the case which I really hope it's not at least in my facility. Hopefully I won't have to deal with stealing other people's hard worked hours. Thank you again for the reply! Looking forward to getting to work asap.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Wow thank you for the insightful post! That has been the general theme around here. That there is little advancement out of the part time position. I might get my AA In engineering while working towards my main degree In Electrical Engineering. I agree time lines are very important I plan to sticking to those you have stated.

That is discouraging to hear to be honest. If that is the case which I really hope it's not at least in my facility. Hopefully I won't have to deal with stealing other people's hard worked hours. Thank you again for the reply! Looking forward to getting to work asap.
Well on the bright side, you'll be getting more money (and tuition reimbursement) than as a package handler. Hopefully you have health insurance available from your parent(s).

If you can learn some other skills, primarily welding/fabrication, once you get your degree; you could apply for a FT maintenance mechanic position, and from there try to move up in the PE dept as FT management or engineering staff. Just a thought.

Well on the bright side, you'll be getting more money (and tuition reimbursement) than as a package handler. Hopefully you have health insurance available from your parent(s).

If you can learn some other skills, primarily welding/fabrication, once you get your degree; you could apply for a FT maintenance mechanic position, and from there try to move up in the PE dept as FT management or engineering staff. Just a thought.
YES! Exactly I have paid out of pocket for my education so this is another reason why I picked UPS. I have 3 years experience of different types of Apprentice work as a Electrician. Some in commercial buildings, and industrial work in the oil fields. Helped with some troubleshooting also. I told them manager this during the interview process and he mentioned the Electrical department was in need for people with any electrical experience.

I am covered for another 2 years under my parents plan. Also I will start talking to people in the office regarding those positions. I understand it might be a long time before any of this happens and I know it's going to be a long road. But I'm more of a long term thinker anyways.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They hire industrial engineering grads right out of college. We had an intern last year. Every time I saw him in the bathroom in passing i would remind him ther was no time allowance for that.

They hire industrial engineering grads right out of college. We had an intern last year. Every time I saw him in the bathroom in passing i would remind him ther was no time allowance for that.

Oh nice! There are a lot of routes to go so I am sure there will be one that I am passionate about. Haha, I'm sure I am going to hear some of that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Not as cute as your title underneath your picture :)

You had to be there to understand.

Your problem is, as a PT supe, you will be someone else bitch for the most part. If your numbers don't meet your boss's expectation, upward movement will not happen. And, if you 'critique' your hourlies in a manner they don't like, your numbers will never, ever meet expectations.

Good luck. Don't count on much.

You had to be there to understand.

Your problem is, as a PT supe, you will be someone else bitch for the most part. If your numbers don't meet your boss's expectation, upward movement will not happen. And, if you 'critique' your hourlies in a manner they don't like, your numbers will never, ever meet expectations.

Good luck. Don't count on much.
I understand that night happen to most people. But I have dealt with the worst of the worst from other jobs. Where there was not such thing as a HR department. So with that being said I think I will be fine. I'm have dealt with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds. So when I "correct" people I don't come off as a jerk. I do expect a lot, I'm ambitious and that was noticed by the manager. Which Is why I have come into this part time supervisor position off the bat. I understand if your experience was a negative one. Which explains why you talk the way you do which makes sense. I have a more optimistic outlook regardless, but thanks for the advice anyways!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I understand that night happen to most people. But I have dealt with the worst of the worst from other jobs. Where there was not such thing as a HR department. So with that being said I think I will be fine. I'm have dealt with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds. So when I "correct" people I don't come off as a jerk. I do expect a lot, I'm ambitious and that was noticed by the manager. Which Is why I have come into this part time supervisor position off the bat. I understand if your experience was a negative one. Which explains why you talk the way you do which makes sense. I have a more optimistic outlook regardless, but thanks for the advice anyways!

Sonny, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Come back in six months and tell us how you feel.

Gear

Parts on Order
I remember my interview for a mechanic position. Dressed nice, ready to answer every question. Next day got the call for the job. Good pay, benefits and an excellent IAM pension. I thought I won the lottery. Came in ready to work my first day. About 1 hour in, I realize they hire bodies, thats all I was. In fact, I was the only one interviewed for the job. Some lottery, lol.
Good luck

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
"Some critiquing" where do they find these people
LMAO!!!