Is going slow the best way to make money at UPS?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Fluffy, why do you need so much attention?
I do not need attention. I am just participating in discussion on the BC, no different from you.
Get to a meeting
You like telling people what to do?

I don’t get it.
and let those crocodile tears flow.
I don’t know what this is.

I believe in posting with scruples.

When I used to treat others as you do, I always felt so empty.

May you find peace.

Peace be with you.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I do not need attention. I am just participating in discussion on the BC, no different from you.

You like telling people what to do?

I don’t get it.

I don’t know what this is.

I believe in posting with scruples.

When I used to treat others as you do, I always felt so empty.

May you find peace.

Peace be with you.
Fluffy,
WTF?
You are crying for attention. Get to a meeting and pour your heart out about how you can't get enough respect and attention and you don't know why. Maybe some queer will aid & comfort you, just like in the fantasy world you live in.
Why do you keep bugging/harassing me? Are you trying to draw attention to yourself so you can feel further victimized by EVERYONE?
Get some help before I report you for what I mentioned earlier...

Integrity

Binge Poster
Fluffy,
WTF?
?
You are crying for attention.
Disagree.
Get to a meeting and pour your heart out about how you can't get enough respect and attention and you don't know why.
Are you ok?
Maybe some queer will aid & comfort you, just like in the fantasy world you live in.
Inappropriate comment.
Why do you keep bugging/harassing me?
I am responding in discussion as you are.
Are you trying to draw attention to yourself so you can feel further victimized by EVERYONE?
No. I feel victimized by no one. Just responding in discussion.
Get some help before I report you for what I mentioned earlier...
Wow.

I will definitely continue to pray for you.

Peace.

HavenoEDD

it’s in your best interest as a driver to work as directed however you also have to know how management is going to use and abuse you.
Talk to the veteran drivers around you…they are there for a reason and I’m probably right in saying they understood that this isn’t a sprint. The ones that work fast regret it eventually..we see it all the time. Injuries, accidents and stress.

The best excuse a driver has today is it that they are following Orion. If it keeps switching and skipping stops, that’s not in your issue. Make notes if you feel management is going to give you a hard time but work at a pace you feel you can do for your career.

NOTHING good comes from working fast. Increased stop counts, higher probability of accidents and getting away from the methods.
👍🏻

Hot Carl

Work at a brisk pace, but DO NOT RUN and DO NOT SKIP BREAKS. Follow ORION 100% unless you are specifically directed not to do so. ORION works if the center management team knows how to use it, but either way, it is their responsibility. They can't have it both ways and you shouldn't enable them.
Then why does it seem like there isn't a single center management team that knows how to properly utilize it? All we ever hear or experience are living horror stories of utterly broken and ass-backward ORION solutions. Do such centers truly exist or are they just unicorns?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Then why does it seem like there isn't a single center management team that knows how to properly utilize it? All we ever hear or experience are living horror stories of utterly broken and ass-backward ORION solutions. Do such centers truly exist or are they just unicorns?

I agree. We keep hearing Orion works, if it's used right, but I have never seen any evidence to support that claim.

Hot Carl

I agree. We keep hearing Orion works, if it's used right, but I have never seen any evidence to support that claim.
No matter how many times I hear "We're working on it", there's always that apartment complex on one of the routes I cover where ORION wants me to drive through the gate and do one side out of the right side of the truck, then pick the truck up and turn it around and set it back down, drive back through that gate, then drive through the other gate, and then work the entire rest of the complex out of the wrong side of the truck.

Every. Single. Time.

vvv

My observations were the company didn't care if you ran an hour over every day. Follow their trace and use every method taught and you will make plenty of money. Three hours over allowed every day paints a giant target on your back. When your Center Manager gets tired of the Division manager mentioning certain names, they start looking and documenting mistakes. Stealing time is an integrity issue and there is nothing the union can do for you. And I've seen shop stewards canned too.
I have been 2.5 to 4+ hours over daily for almost 20 years now when I work....they don't like it but get use to it.
And hey what a miracle......I haven't been fired!! Why.....because I do things right.

Kingofthenorth

The trace alone adds an extra 1.5 hrs to my day on average, and it gives me plenty of laughs. :lol:

@Kingofthenorth You don't need to play games and risk your job to make $. Just follow the trace. We've heard countless times over the years the company wants us to follow it. Trace and sound methods are an unbeatable combo.
At my center they are increasingly desperate for drivers. If you don't report an accident you don't get fired. If you go 4 hours over daily you just get yelled at. The only way to get fired is to not report a DUI or do something absurd.

BrownStains

All going fast will get you is more work. Your stop counts will go up or you will get extra pickups. You will burn yourself out faster, get injured, or crash. Dont let them fool you into thinking that you have to go as fast as possible and run bonus daily. Do the job at a steady pace and follow the methods . When I first started I would go as fast as possible and cut every corner to race off the clock. Eventually I learned that if I was going to last many years then I had to do the job properly and safely.

Whither

Scofflaw
At my center they are increasingly desperate for drivers. If you don't report an accident you don't get fired. If you go 4 hours over daily you just get yelled at. The only way to get fired is to not report a DUI or do something absurd.
It's not that different here. The thing is, when Teamsters get disciplined for stupid reasons that puts the union in a weaker position relative to the company. There's no need to screw around to make good money. Work safely, follow the methods, make service commitments. Learn the contract and enforce it. You do these things, dealing with mgmt is child's play and your days are care free.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated

ORION is a failure because the people expected to use it are not trained or supported in any meaningful way. I saw it work extremely well in early centers. In these centers, drivers were involved and their knowledge was used to configure parameters on their routes until they could execute. Map data was updated all the time. UPS spent millions of dollars on a promising technology and then completely dropped the ball.

Another reason for the failure is that ORION needs a good basic loop and trace to start with. Letting ORION loose on a bad loop setup is a recipe for complete disaster. Add poorly maintained map data to that mix and you get as you say "utterly broken and ass-backward ORION solutions."

Early results led to the ultimate failure. It was rushed out and important steps were ignored or cut in order to meet deployment timelines.

If I were still driving, I would follow ORION 100% every day unless I had written instructions to the contrary. I would request OJS rides so the sup could demonstrate how it should be done. Shove their nose in it until they fix it or get promoted.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
ORION is a failure because the people expected to use it are not trained or supported in any meaningful way. I saw it work extremely well in early centers. In these centers, drivers were involved and their knowledge was used to configure parameters on their routes until they could execute. Map data was updated all the time. UPS spent millions of dollars on a promising technology and then completely dropped the ball.

Another reason for the failure is that ORION needs a good basic loop and trace to start with. Letting ORION loose on a bad loop setup is a recipe for complete disaster. Add poorly maintained map data to that mix and you get as you say "utterly broken and ass-backward ORION solutions."

Early results led to the ultimate failure. It was rushed out and important steps were ignored or cut in order to meet deployment timelines.

If I were still driving, I would follow ORION 100% every day unless I had written instructions to the contrary. I would request OJS rides so the sup could demonstrate how it should be done. Shove their nose in it until they fix it or get promoted.

I've helped a few supervisors get promoted, retired or move on to better jobs. They still won't fix anything. I've never even been written up for anything.