Is it true that after a teamster retire

Braveheart

I think if you were to look around at other industries this isn't unique to Teamsters. Seems the problem is that people don't retire when they are eligible. Whether they did a poor job of planning or they have no life outside of work or they are addicted to the weekly paycheck. :dissapointed:
Great point. We have at least 3 in our center that have 30 years and the age but will not retire.

One has a house like she is rich, 2 expensive SUV's, spoil the kids and they can not afford for her to retire despite the fact her husband makes the same kind of money and has great medical at his company.

Another failed to slowly but surely move a little of his 401k into safer less risky investments and just had his 401k turn into a 101k.

The third got married one too many times.

In summary Idiot, maroon, Bonehead.

JonFrum

Jon, under the 120 plan, are your pension payments larger than they would be if you elected lifetime payment?
No. Your monthly check is 10% less to "pay" for the 120 check guarantee. We can also get a thirteenth check every Christmas for a 7% reduction in the monthly benefit amount. Your fund probably has similar features. Here's the language . . .

120 Certain Payments Monthly benefit reduction is 10%. The pension is payable for the pensioner's lifetime, with the guarantee that if he/she dies before 120 monthly pension payments are issued, the monthly pension shall continue to be paid to a designated Beneficiary until a total of 120 payments has been made, including the payments to both the Pensioner and Beneficiary. If the Pensioner should survive for all 120 payments, monthly payments shall continue for the rest of the Pensioner's life and the benefit will end upon his/her death. No further payments will be due to any beneficiary upon the Pensioner's death.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod must be a machine,he keeps on ticking away God bless him !!!!

Hey- don't write me off yet!! I'm only 61. (retired at 53). June 27th it will be a full 8 years. Next carrot on the end of the stick (knocking on wood it is still available) is Social Security at 62-- Another $1,539.00 a month for toys.

retired2000

we have a saying here in upstate ny that if you make it past your 5th year of retirement you have beat the odds. we have had a lot of drivers pass away before 5 years.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hey- don't write me off yet!! I'm only 61. (retired at 53). June 27th it will be a full 8 years. Next carrot on the end of the stick (knocking on wood it is still available) is Social Security at 62-- Another $1,539.00 a month for toys.
good for you,,you derserve it !!!

ups1990

We had a driver, recently retired die within 2 years. I, know of one who is going on 10 years of retirement, but He keeps very active and looks like he can still go out on a route.

With our 401k situation, drivers who are eligible for retirement are probably not going anywhere. This is terrible.

raceanoncr

With our 401k situation, drivers who are eligible for retirement are probably not going anywhere. This is terrible.

That, alone, is sad. If I had to rely soley on my 401 or 401 in conjunction with other monies to retire, then something HAS gone wrong in my life.

I've been in turmoils that upset my financial situation, one divorce being one of them (and paying her a four figure number each month) but I lived frugally, had a 3-room apt for a couple yrs, lived in a ghetto house (cheap) for a number of yrs, paying off all of her debts and mine in the meantime. Now, I don't owe ANYBODY ANYTHING, cept the house mortgage people, pay cash for everything, got some investments that I can sit on, yes, 401 that I don't have to touch til legally obligate to do so.

MY view (and again, it's only MY view), is that there is no excuse to have to keep on working when you haven't been confronted with a myriad of problems. Like here, AGAIN, I SAY HERE (!!!!), we've got several package/feeder drivers that have married in the company. Some are fellow drivers, some are office people that have been here longer than me, so you know they're making some serious $. Almost all of them, to a person, frets that they cannot retire until the economy turns around! I don't get it!

Oh, you're all gonna say, "You don't know what's happened in their life to bring them to their knees". No, I don't. But they or you don't know what's happened in my life either, other than what I've divulged here, to make me start out with nothing several times in my life. BUT, (patting myself on the back here) I DID it! Now, after all that, I'm ready and willing to retire with 31 years (no, I don't want to set some kinda all-time driving record like some do) at age 62 with no inclination to get a part-time job for extra cash or go driving a truck for some other company cuz I can't make it with just pension and early SS.

JMO, by the way:greedy:

ups1990

Well said. My goal is to retire at 55. Working on being able to do so.

We have drivers that live as they were making over 100k. One guy drives a car with a personal licence plate that makes reference to the high price of his vehicle. He recently got fired for lack of integrity. It was so blatant, the union agreed with the company. Now the guy says he's broke!. It's only been a couple of weeks since being terminated.

A

anonymous6

we have a saying here in upstate ny that if you make it past your 5th year of retirement you have beat the odds. we have had a lot of drivers pass away before 5 years.

you'd think the pension plan assets would be huge with these numbers.

That, alone, is sad. If I had to rely soley on my 401 or 401 in conjunction with other monies to retire, then something HAS gone wrong in my life.

I've been in turmoils that upset my financial situation, one divorce being one of them (and paying her a four figure number each month) but I lived frugally, had a 3-room apt for a couple yrs, lived in a ghetto house (cheap) for a number of yrs, paying off all of her debts and mine in the meantime. Now, I don't owe ANYBODY ANYTHING, cept the house mortgage people, pay cash for everything, got some investments that I can sit on, yes, 401 that I don't have to touch til legally obligate to do so.

MY view (and again, it's only MY view), is that there is no excuse to have to keep on working when you haven't been confronted with a myriad of problems. Like here, AGAIN, I SAY HERE (!!!!), we've got several package/feeder drivers that have married in the company. Some are fellow drivers, some are office people that have been here longer than me, so you know they're making some serious $. Almost all of them, to a person, frets that they cannot retire until the economy turns around! I don't get it!

Oh, you're all gonna say, "You don't know what's happened in their life to bring them to their knees". No, I don't. But they or you don't know what's happened in my life either, other than what I've divulged here, to make me start out with nothing several times in my life. BUT, (patting myself on the back here) I DID it! Now, after all that, I'm ready and willing to retire with 31 years (no, I don't want to set some kinda all-time driving record like some do) at age 62 with no inclination to get a part-time job for extra cash or go driving a truck for some other company cuz I can't make it with just pension and early SS.

JMO, by the way:greedy:
I'm not saying what you have done was easy, I know it was not.
My story isn't going to have quite as good an ending as your's.( NO I am not looking for sympathy)
More than likely, before this year ends I will retire with only 20 years. No where as good of a retirement check as you. Unlike you I have spent all of my 20 years as a driver. My body is beat all to hell and I can't possible make 30 years. I am now 59 years old. With the condition of my body, there is no way I can hump packages out of a brown bomber till I an 64. Just can't do it, in fact I will be dang lucky to go back to work from the comp injury I now have. However you are correct that it is a sad state of affairs. On the bright side though, I will survive and I bet I'll be happy doing it.

JonFrum

My story isn't going to have quite as good an ending as your's.( NO I am not looking for sympathy)
More than likely, before this year ends I will retire with only 20 years. No where as good of a retirement check as you. Unlike you I have spent all of my 20 years as a driver. My body is beat all to hell and I can't possible make 30 years. I am now 59 years old. With the condition of my body, there is no way I can hump packages out of a brown bomber till I an 64. Just can't do it, in fact I will be dang lucky to go back to work from the comp injury I now have. However you are correct that it is a sad state of affairs. On the bright side though, I will survive and I bet I'll be happy doing it.
This Contract language may help . . .

Article 37 --- Management-Employee Relations
Section 1.(a)
"The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of [-]the employee[/-]Trplnkl." :happy2:

This Contract language may help . . .

Article 37 --- Management-Employee Relations
Section 1.(a)
"The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of [-]the employee[/-]Trplnkl." :happy2:
HA, I like it. Thanks for the contract update.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I bet that you will be happy doing it. I will be 63 if (and that is a big if) I make it to 20 years. I hope everything works out well for you.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Never thought of going into feeders? Alot easier on the body and the money is good. Of course if you were in my hub I would try to tell you how bad it is because you have way more seniority.:happy-very:

satellitedriver

I'll let you know after Dec how many checks I collect. I'll notify everyone on here of my demise.
Liar,:happy2:
If Houdini could not do it, you damn sure will not.:peaceful:
Check out the statistics of how many people do not live long enough to collect a single Social Security check.
A very sobering factoid.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was talking to a driver when dropping off my air and he told me that he just found out that there was a statistic that AFTER a teamster retire and that they collect an average of 26 checks and then pass away :sad-little:

I dont know about you but to me this is very sad.
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/endangered-ups_ers.234555/

Great point. We have at least 3 in our center that have 30 years and the age but will not retire.

One has a house like she is rich, 2 expensive SUV's, spoil the kids and they can not afford for her to retire despite the fact her husband makes the same kind of money and has great medical at his company.

Another failed to slowly but surely move a little of his 401k into safer less risky investments and just had his 401k turn into a 101k.

The third got married one too many times.

In summary Idiot, maroon, Bonehead.
:surprised:LOL