Is there any Way to get my Job Back

Cjordan217

I have been away from UPS now since Early March of 2008. Before I became a Full Time Driver in october of 2007. I had previously unloaded/Sorted for 3.5 yrs prior. I got lucky and got into to driving early on. I was Starting to work one morning looking through my truck a few minutes before our daily stretch/meeting. To get an idea of what the day would look like for me. Notice i had a fairly large package. So naturally i was looking at it thinking ok this is a big one so now while i am thinking about it where is my hand truck. There was not one on my truck. Since i was the new guy there convientley was never anything i need a good truck or a good hand truck. I kindly asked my supervisor where i could get one since i have a fairly large package to deliever into a long narraow drive way i usually don't take my truck into. He said go ahead i will bring you one out later. Never got the hand truck. Came to the residence where the package was being delievered. My only option is to back this truck in the drive way. I see it will fit but it will be a tight fit. cause i am not hurting my back to carry this 85lb packaged down a 100yrd drive way. So as i am backing i check my mirrors and beeping my horn watching my camera. Notice the owners two labs getting quite close to the rear tires. So i am riding the clutch trying to keep it going slowly. One dog shoots underneath the truck and i turn the wheel on instict to stop for possibly backing over this dog and i clip the edge of the owners stucco mailbox not doing that much damage. Took the corner of the stucco off and put a scrape but not dent in my truck. So i get out to check the damage then proceed to deliever the package BY HAND once i get close enough. I think knock on the door and ring the door bell the owner is usually always home. He never answers the door but i see his office light on. So after about 15 or 20 min. I start freaking out. thinking i just got this job i am gonna loose it i just got engaged got a kid on the way as off a week ago what do i do. So I am trying to think of what to do. Well I was immature at the time and decdied if the owner was not home who would know. I would just tell my sup that i hit tree limb to cause the scrap on my truck. Well as i am leaving the driveway my hub manager send me a message over the diad and says did you hit a mailbox well i replied no. I LIED big mistake on my part i got scared i didn't know what to do but lying is the not the answer. Longer story short i got with the union rep I PAY MY DUES. went to two different meetings one traveled out of state and got stood up. Second waited all day in a lobby of this resort got stood up. Finally second day got in after sitting for a 1.5 days. I sat in a room with upsers and union reps. They did there packets and read out a few things the whole meeting lasted maybe 5 or 10 min. My union rep did not say much if not anything at all about me past what he had to say. I feel like i was not represented very well at alll. I miss my job i loved that job and i was still wondering if there is a way to get back in. PLEASE HELP.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You were being asked if you hit a mailbox while you were scraping stucco off the side of the house? Then you sat there for 15-20 minutes trying to decide what to do?

This may not be the line of work for you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have been away from UPS now since Early March of 2008. Before I became a Full Time Driver in october of 2007. I had previously unloaded/Sorted for 3.5 yrs prior. I got lucky and got into to driving early on. I was Starting to work one morning looking through my truck a few minutes before our daily stretch/meeting. To get an idea of what the day would look like for me. Notice i had a fairly large package. So naturally i was looking at it thinking ok this is a big one so now while i am thinking about it where is my hand truck. There was not one on my truck.

Since i was the new guy there convientley was never anything i need a good truck or a good hand truck. I kindly asked my supervisor where i could get one since i have a fairly large package to deliever into a long narraow drive way i usually don't take my truck into. He said go ahead i will bring you one out later. Never got the hand truck. Came to the residence where the package was being delievered. My only option is to back this truck in the drive way. I see it will fit but it will be a tight fit. cause i am not hurting my back to carry this 85lb packaged down a 100yrd drive way. So as i am backing i check my mirrors and beeping my horn watching my camera. Notice the owners two labs getting quite close to the rear tires. So i am riding the clutch trying to keep it going slowly.

One dog shoots underneath the truck and i turn the wheel on instict to stop for possibly backing over this dog and i clip the edge of the owners stucco mailbox not doing that much damage. Took the corner of the stucco off and put a scrape but not dent in my truck. So i get out to check the damage then proceed to deliever the package BY HAND once i get close enough. I think knock on the door and ring the door bell the owner is usually always home. He never answers the door but i see his office light on. So after about 15 or 20 min. I start freaking out. thinking i just got this job i am gonna loose it i just got engaged got a kid on the way as off a week ago what do i do. So I am trying to think of what to do.

Well I was immature at the time and decdied if the owner was not home who would know. I would just tell my sup that i hit tree limb to cause the scrap on my truck. Well as i am leaving the driveway my hub manager send me a message over the diad and says did you hit a mailbox well i replied no. I LIED big mistake on my part i got scared i didn't know what to do but lying is the not the answer. Longer story short i got with the union rep I PAY MY DUES. went to two different meetings one traveled out of state and got stood up. Second waited all day in a lobby of this resort got stood up.

Finally second day got in after sitting for a 1.5 days. I sat in a room with upsers and union reps. They did there packets and read out a few things the whole meeting lasted maybe 5 or 10 min. My union rep did not say much if not anything at all about me past what he had to say. I feel like i was not represented very well at alll. I miss my job i loved that job and i was still wondering if there is a way to get back in. PLEASE HELP.
There, fixed it for ya, somewhat.

There is NO way to get THIS job back. We all make choices in life and your choice was a BAD choice. You cannot go back in time to fix this and UPS will not rehire you. This page in your life has turned. Move on, and best of luck to you.

*Note to the OP, Never lie, it never helps the situation, not only never, but never EVER.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Longer story short i got with the union rep I PAY MY DUES. went to two different meetings one traveled out of state and got stood up. Second waited all day in a lobby of this resort got stood up. Finally second day got in after sitting for a 1.5 days. I sat in a room with upsers and union reps. They did there packets and read out a few things the whole meeting lasted maybe 5 or 10 min. My union rep did not say much if not anything at all about me past what he had to say. I am assuming they did not give you your job back. I feel like i was not represented very well at alll. At the conclusion of your panel, when they asked did you feel you were adequetly represented, what did you say? I miss my job i loved that job and i was still wondering if there is a way to get back in. PLEASE HELP.

I am sure one of the stewards on BC will give you some solid advice on what to do next.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
There, fixed it for ya, somewhat.

There is NO way to get THIS job back. We all make choices in life and your choice was a BAD choice. You cannot go back in time to fix this and UPS will not rehire you. This page in your life has turned. Move on, and best of luck to you.

*Note to the OP, Never lie, it never helps the situation, not only never, but never EVER.

STUG your right, sad thing is if this was last year, he would have had his job back right before the panel. Now everything is on the line.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Definatley telling the truth me and family are suffering for my mistake.
I believe you when you say this, but don't fret about losing this job. This isn't the end of all things for you guys. Go get another job and use the experience you have from this one, to do the very best you can do. I'm sure you'll do better. Good Luck!

Cjordan217

I was never asked if i was represented adequetly. Although I told him after the meeting that I thought I was not represented very well. As the District manager was also talking to me with his vendictive smile on his face saying i hope everything works out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was never asked if i was represented adequetly. Although I told him after the meeting that I thought I was not represented very well. As the District manager was also talking to me with his vendictive smile on his face saying i hope everything works out.
Dude, face it, you did yourself in. You had an avoidable collision and LIED. How better could you be represented? They had you dead to rights, as even you explained in your own story. Had you been honest, this would never have happened, but it did. No use in whining to us. Even if you had a majority here that wanted you to have your job back, it wouldn't mean anything. The best thing to do is move on. Leave the past behind and press on to the future.

UPSGUY72

You had an accident tried to cover it up, than lied about it. Did I miss anything???? You said you worked for UPS 3 1/2 years before you got a drivers job you should have known that if you just called it in nothing would have happen but a slap on the wrist. In all your time at UPS how many people did you know that got fired for getting into an accident and REPORTING it.

Now stop whinning and go find another job and take this as a learning experience of what not to do.

I have a job for you are you ready. How about being a scrapper you can smash a whole bunch of stuff and nobody cares. You can be you own boss just get a pickup truck and drive around picking up metal.

If your interested check out Spike TV at 10o'clock on tuesday. You can then get a real sense of what the job entailes and think it over. Anyway I would have to say there is NO chance for a second chance at ups for you.

browned out

No way to get your job back unless you are a full time sup that was pulling a route because of emergency shortage of drivers. Then it would be bad judgment instead of dishonesty resulting in a slap on the wrist instead of discharge.

22.34life

your getting a lot of harsh responses on here,most of it is justified though.sorry to say your done at ups,two years has passed its time to accept the fact.its already been said but it bears repeating,NEVER EVER LIE,when you lie you turn a verbal warning or warning letter into termantion.i have seen many people do it to avoid the first step in the progressive dicipline process but your better of with that than lieing anout it,a cautionary tale to all you new upsers out there.

tieguy

Banned
klein should be able to give you some pointers. otherwise I'm sorry it happened to you. While I am management I never enjoy seeing someone lose their job.

Sorry, I've seen more drivers terminated for lying. DON'T BE AFRAID OF REPORTING AN ACCIDENT! BEING A MOST HELP NEEDED EMPLOYEE IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. BROWN DOES NOT SUPERCEDE THE LAW.