Killing a route as a cover driver

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember my Dad threw me a jacket one morning, when I couldnt find mine to go catch the school bus. He had playing cards with naked ladies on them in his pocket! I was mortified. It was like not totally naked, like Marilyn Monroe type, LOL. I gave the coat back never said a peep!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
UPS rewards your work with high pay. They will also "reward" you for getting done fast by loading more stops on you the next time around...because that makes them more money in the long run. Slow down, the pac.ages will be there tomorrow and the day after that.
That's when I learned. I started out the usual runner/gunner/lunch skipper after making seniority because I liked getting out early. I would bust my ass and burn it up to get it done fast. A minor accident didn't give me a wake up call.

My wake up call was the day I needed to get out early and I had confirmed with my on-car that if I killed it he wouldn't send me to help anyone and he would let me go home early if I went code 5. I skipped my lunch, ran my butt off and got a 10 hour dispatch done in 8. Light of death came on as I was getting a text from my on-car that he needed me to go meet a driver 20 minutes away to take his pickup pieces. I called my on-car and he said he needed my help, blah blah blah. I was livid.

I drove out to meet the driver (who is the only guy I can't stand in the center) and he right away starts giving me packages to deliver. He then informs me that the on-car told him that not only would I take his 230 pickup pieces in...that I would also do 25 stops for him in an area I didn't know. I lost my :censored2: at this point and called him back. He confirmed that he told him to tell me to do it and then told me "I'm instructing you to do this work" and hung up. The biggest kick in the butt was the guy I was doing all this work for then said I'm going to lunch now and started walking toward the McDonalds across the parking lot.

That was my last day as a runner gunner. That was also the last time I believed anything that came out of a supervisor's mouth.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?
sport-marathon-run-runner-running-race-gra061118_low.jpg

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Following the methods and all. I was observed a few times. Once by the building manager and he said I was doing a great job. Taking my lunch between pickups. I come in early to go through my truck which I feel really helps out with my pace. Other cover drivers were even saying that they'd be out long after I finished.

Working off the clock.

What a hero you are.

Dracula

I used to love burning up routes when I was a casual. Yeah, it would piss off the bid drivers to no end, but I didn't care----I was trying to get a FT position.

I can recall one day I jumped to cover a country run I used to have. The previous driver had talked poorly about me prior to me taking over the run. He took the run back when I bid off the area. Anyway, on the day in question, I burned the route up----78 stops, which would have taken him until 1830 (or later)----and I was punched out and gone by 1515. The best part is that he happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. I saw him, glanced at my watch and laughed my ass off at him.

To your point-----will it upset the "older guys"? Absolutely. Should that bother you? Absolutely not.

Another hero.

Dracula

NEVER NEVER NEVER come in early and work off the clock. Sure sorting out the mess and setting up your day stop to stop makes the day go by quicker. Unfortunately you are not suppose to be doing that. In our building we had 4 drivers get hurt in a lil over a year doing the same thing. Management actually started handing out warning letters over it. UPS has tons of $$$ that they are willing to pay you for doing the job by the methods. As others have said, if you were to get hurt working off the clock you are SOL. You won't get workers comp, and in some cases you can get fired. I understand that as a cover driver there are other things that you'd rather be doing than staying out till 7-8pm nightly. I have 3 kids and would love to be home earlier. But i also am looking out for them by making sure that "IF" i were to get injured, its happening on the clock. One day 10 years from now you'll be the one getting upset when a cover driver does the exact same things your doing now

Awww, let a :censored2: be a :censored2:, will ya?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I used to love burning up routes when I was a casual. Yeah, it would piss off the bid drivers to no end, but I didn't care----I was trying to get a FT position.

I can recall one day I jumped to cover a country run I used to have. The previous driver had talked poorly about me prior to me taking over the run. He took the run back when I bid off the area. Anyway, on the day in question, I burned the route up----78 stops, which would have taken him until 1830 (or later)----and I was punched out and gone by 1515. The best part is that he happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. I saw him, glanced at my watch and laughed my ass off at him.

To your point-----will it upset the "older guys"? Absolutely. Should that bother you? Absolutely not.
Nothing like going home to a lonely pot pie dinner and no friends.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?

You mean nothing to real Teamster UPSers. Carry on.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

You should be looking out for a "blanket party" in the parking lot.

Good routes are going the way of the dodo, thanks to lunch skipping tards like you.

Savor every second of your getting off early. For, your doing your duty to ensure that doesn't happen for anyone else.

Are you paying dues?

Sent using a Potato