Killing a route as a cover driver

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I remember my Dad threw me a jacket one morning, when I couldnt find mine to go catch the school bus. He had playing cards with naked ladies on them in his pocket! I was mortified. It was like not totally naked, like Marilyn Monroe type, LOL. I gave the coat back never said a peep!
When I was a kid...my dad had his own bathroom in my parent's basement...nobody else was allowed in it. My brother and I were playing matchbox cars in the basement one day...and wanted to build a ramp for the cars...so we used my father's playboys from his bathroom! My mother was not amused...lmao

UPSGUY72

I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?

First I'm a FT cover driver so I have been there. Slow down apparently your working quite a bit faster than the normal driver if some days you get sent out with 40 more stops than he does. I'd rather go out with 100 and cruise around all day than 140 and have to hump it to get it done.

Sooner or later your going to find out the hard way that busting out routes you cover everyday wasn't a good move when they keep adding stops to those route when your covering them and or keep sending you to help other drivers. In the end whether you deliver 100 or 140 stops in 8 hrs your still getting paid the same.

Also most of the other drivers could care less if your busting out 140 stops they are only doing 100 and anything more than 100 is a 9.5 or plus day. All that your doing is just setting yourself up for more work.

JackStraw

Anybody who comes in early to go through their EDD, sort airs, loads, works through lunch or sorts during lunch, speeds, runs, etc. obviously is unable to do the job and has to resort to cheating in order to do it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Anybody who comes in early to go through their EDD, sort airs, loads, works through lunch or sorts during lunch, speeds, runs, etc. obviously is unable to do the job and has to resort to cheating in order to do it.
2 of the split routes I load have new seasonals running them. One likes to come in early to go thru his load. I was nice about it the first time. The 2nd day? GTF outta my truck...you are in my way. It's your truck at start time! I haven't seen him since...friggin newbies. Get in my way again...I'll show you how poorly I can load a truck
and keep my job.

I skipped my lunch one day this week. So I will get an extra 1/2 hour overtime. And eventually a warning letter.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How is working at my own pace being a cheese dick? I dont understand the logic behind that?
You're not just doing your job...you're bragging and tryin to show off to management about how much better you are than the bid driver. That's why...otherwise you wouldn't even have STARTED this thread!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How is working at my own pace being a cheese dick? I dont understand the logic behind that?
Here's some logic for ya...don't piss off the veteran drivers...you never know when you might need one of them to have your back in the future. Alienate youself and you may wind up holding the bag all by your lonesome in the office.

DriverMD

You're not just doing your job...you're bragging and tryin to show off to management about how much better you are than the bid driver. That's why...otherwise you wouldn't even have STARTED this thread!
So if I happen to work faster than someone, im showing off to management? What happens if I work slower than the bid driver? Is that what im supposed to do?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
You ever wonder how that veteran driver is still able to do this job after 25+ years? It's not working at your pace. I've had fellow drivers talk :censored2: about my pace for over 20 years and now only one of them is still driving. The rest either got hurt on the job or had too many accidents or just got burned-out.
Slow-n-steady wins the race my friend. Do yourself a favor and slow the :censored2: down.

O

OLDMAN3

So if I happen to work faster than someone, im showing off to management? What happens if I work slower than the bid driver? Is that what im supposed to do?
Just stop working before your punch in. Take a real break (not "between" pickups) without working through it. Don't speed and don't run. If you are still way under, start perfecting your methods, and I mean perfecting. I did this years ago. I was a runner like you...2 1/2 hours in the box each day, big deal. Use the speed you have now at every stop to give you a time cushion to recondition your mind and body to work in a way that minimizes stress on your body. I am an old man now (30+ years at UPS) but because I made the change I can still move pain free. Believe me, your joints are not made of steal and will eventually wear down. Ask yourself if you want to be able to golf or pick up your grand-kids when you retire.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
2 of the split routes I load have new seasonals running them. One likes to come in early to go thru his load. I was nice about it the first time. The 2nd day? GTF outta my truck...you are in my way. It's your truck at start time! I haven't seen him since...friggin newbies. Get in my way again...I'll show you how poorly I can load a truck
and keep my job.
Sometimes, these guys can't find their truck keys in the am. I feel horrible when it happens to these stand up individuals.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Listen, son. What I'm saying is do your job right and safely. If you beat it, so be it. But, keep your mouth shut and know your place. You are doing another man's job, so act accordingly. Don't cause any unnecessary issues by cutting corners and working for free like a scab.

In my center we use guys like you to our advantage when we need to call in. "What boss? There's no one to cover my route? Have cheesed!ck knock it out."