Knee pains

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Sorry bout the knee problem. All I can realy suggest is that u do not run, Walk fast, brisk pace, whatever, but don't run.
Do not jump: in/out of truck, on/off docks, or steps or any elevated places.

Use the handrails getting in and out of truck supporting your weight and taking pressure off you lower joints like knees, hips, and ankles. It's easy not to but it adds up and you will wear out faster then you realize.

Don't step off truck with large pieces that you can't hold onto with one hand. u can still be fast, just adjusting to it takes practice. Drop pieces on cab floor get out and grab em up. forget the seconds that UPS is counting against u and just do it safely.

I
s
n
't that funny how UPS says do it safe but then counts those seconds against you!!

Such irony. Such sore knee's if you give in to the bean counters.

UPSGUY72

Vague? Do you really want to read a novel? I thought my post was lengthy as it was.

I have no reason to lie here. I wasn't asking for information about WC or any of that, I was simply wondering if people here have experienced knees pains like this.

I don't have a specific date of when I started helping, and I don't think it really matters. It was an unimportant detail of WHEN.
I started helping on a Wednesday of the week they first started bringing on helpers. I continued helping the entire next week even with my knee problem, and then also the Monday/Tuesday of the week after that, when they finally found him a suitable replacement (he was pretty picky about a helper, and demanded someone who would stick with him through the whole peak). I stopped helping the rest of that week, and the entire week after that. A guy finally asked me if I was ready to work again (as a helper), I said yes, and they put me with a new driver... whom I've been helping for... three weeks now? So I guess I started helping on Nov 2nd? Does that sound right as a start of peak date? Doesn't really matter.

I bought my knee brace at Target. Again, does it matter?

My driver didn't tell me anything regarding going to the ER. He observed that I could barely move and changed our arrangement accordingly. He saw that I caught onto the DIAD pretty quickly, and I knew what I was doing when it came to setting up the truck and finding packages. He mentioned that one day, even with my knee situation, he still finished an hour under that day.

Other than the driver, I didn't tell anybody about my knee issues until they asked. Nobody, not a single person, ever told me that I wasn't even supposed to be running. My supervisor didn't even ask me about my knees until a week after. It was pretty damn obvious that I was walking like a snail in preload, and limping into work every morning. After that break, when my knees were finally feeling better, a guy (I don't know his title, he deals with routes and works with drivers) asked me if I was ready to help again; I said yes, but that I wouldn't be able to run anymore. He asked if I could move quickly, I said yes. Even this guy said absolutely nothing about the fact that we weren't supposed to be running.

I've learned many things about the company through this experience. They don't give a ****. An injury to them is not an injury unless you have to be carried out.

Indeed. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have done things differently.

I replied to your previous post, but it's being "reviewed by a moderator" .... sooo, it will appear when it appears, I guess.

Here's another story, though. It is unrelated to my former knee pains, as it happened to my right knee, not my left (the one mostly affected).
Second day of helping. I was with the cover driver, since the original driver was sick. I was 'jogging' back to the truck down a red brick path. There was a brick sticking out at the very end. I didn't see it. I tripped, I fell, I tore some skin off of my right knee. It was bleeding down my leg quite nicely.

Then I made an interesting observation. They provide the driver with a fire extinguisher for the truck, but not with a first aid kit.

Anyway, I told the driver I was fine (and I really was, it didn't hurt, just stung a little). We went on. Luckily this was during the last 30min of the day, so I didn't have to spend a long time with torn pants and a bloody knee.

Your last two post are not helping your case. Especially if you have been working at UPS for over 4 months. You made your thirty days they can't fire you for getting hurt. Yet you get hurt and don't tell anyone except a seasoned driver and he basically blows you off. Do you work and live in a box?

You state that no one ever told you not to run. That is BS and you know it since you been working at UPS 4 months you should know the 5 keys to slips and fallls 1. DON'T RUN WALK AT A BRISK PACE. Also we have to fill out work books each day and over the last 4 months they have going over knee injuries and 5 keys to slips and fall plenty of times Apparently to you they don't apply to drivers and helpers.

So either you don't know your 5 keys to slips and falls you don't fill out your work book that everyone else does or you just don't care about the rules and do what ever you want.

S

splozi

Your last two post are not helping your case. Especially if you have been working at UPS for over 4 months. You made your thirty days they can't fire you for getting hurt. Yet you get hurt and don't tell anyone except a seasoned driver and he basically blows you off. Do you work and live in a box?

You state that no one ever told you not to run. That is BS and you know it since you been working at UPS 4 months you should know the 5 keys to slips and fallls 1. DON'T RUN WALK AT A BRISK PACE. Also we have to fill out work books each day and over the last 4 months they have going over knee injuries and 5 keys to slips and fall plenty of times Apparently to you they don't apply to drivers and helpers.

So either you don't know your 5 keys to slips and falls you don't fill out your work book that everyone else does or you just don't care about the rules and do what ever you want.

I... don't think I am trying to make a case? I'm simply describing what occurred.

The 5 keys is a package handler thing, as far as I know. Obviously you don't want to be running around with metal equipment all over the place. I don't know what work book you are talking about. We don't have work books in preload, unless you're talking about the thing you get in training... in which case, I never saw that again after training was over.

I received no training as a driver helper specifically beforehand, aside from what the driver instructed and taught me on after it began. Not running was not one of those things. Are you seriously having a hard time believing that? A driver who wouldn't tell his helper not to run? Something doesn't add up. I don't think you work for UPS.

UPSGUY72

I... don't think I am trying to make a case? I'm simply describing what occurred.

The 5 keys is a package handler thing, as far as I know. Obviously you don't want to be running around with metal equipment all over the place. I don't know what work book you are talking about. We don't have work books in preload, unless you're talking about the thing you get in training... in which case, I never saw that again after training was over.

I received no training as a driver helper specifically beforehand, aside from what the driver instructed and taught me on after it began. Not running was not one of those things. Are you seriously having a hard time believing that? A driver who wouldn't tell his helper not to run? Something doesn't add up. I don't think you work for UPS.

Wrong again everyone at UPS has to know the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls even the people that work in an office all day. Well that is everyone but you.

1. Don't run. Walk at a brisk pace
2. Ensure proper footing to maintain balance.
3. Don't walk on chute, rollor, slides or unsecured belts.
4. Look before stepping. scan work area.
5. Make adjustment a condition change (for driver as weather condition change)

S

splozi

BS again everyone at UPS has to know the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls even the people that work in an office all day.

Explain to me how I'm supposed to know that. I am not a driver. I do not work in the office. I am not a part time supervisor. I work in preload. All I know is that WE are supposed to know that. I have no effing idea what those other people are required to know, and what safety rules they are supposed to follow.

Anyway, you are not being helpful.

Thank you to anyone else that posted here. I think I got my answer. It seems like a lot of people who do this work end up with knee problems/pains. I'm glad mine wasn't serious in the long run... even though it was seriously painful.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
This needs a better aprouch. I agree with UPSGUy but not on his aggressive reaction. Probably just the stress of peak coming out.

Listen, 4 months is some time but not much.

This kids a GREEN HORN, and seems like a nice guy so lets take this on more possitively. We are not managers after all.

It's easy 2 get caught up in the production push moment and neglect things when u are fairly new.

He's no SEASONED VET we R talking about.

5 keys to slip/falls R:

1. Walk @ a brisk pace, DON'T RUN.

2. Establish firm footing, MAINTAIN YOUR BALANCE.

3. Don't walk on conveyor belts, rollers, shuts, or slides.

4. look before stepping.

5. Make adjustments to changing conditions.

Your knee problem sounds like u are not following these methodes nor using hand rails.

Don't get caught up to much on the production if it compromises your health.

Move fast but don't run.

If you was a Seasoned Vet then I'd KAratay ChOp U but your not so I won't.

S

splozi

Your knee problem sounds like u are not following these methodes nor using hand rails.

Move fast but don't run.

*were not following.

I am now. The pains are gone, after giving myself some time off from helping to let myself "recover".
All I was trying to say is that my original drivers were not instructing me on how to keep my knees in good order during the first three days of helping (they were the experienced ones, afterall). By then it was too late, what was done was done and I was in for three weeks of misery.

UPSGUY72

This needs a better aprouch. I agree with UPSGUy but not on his aggressive reaction. Probably just the stress of peak coming out.

Listen, 4 months is some time but not much.

This kids a GREEN HORN, and seems like a nice guy so lets take this on more possitively. We are not managers after all.

It's easy 2 get caught up in the production push moment and neglect things when u are fairly new.

He's no SEASONED VET we R talking about.

5 keys to slip/falls R:

1. Walk @ a brisk pace, DON'T RUN.

2. Establish firm footing, MAINTAIN YOUR BALANCE.

3. Don't walk on conveyor belts, rollers, shuts, or slides.

4. look before stepping.

5. Make adjustments to changing conditions.

Move fast but don't run.

If you was a Seasoned Vet then I'd KAratay ChOp U but your not so I won't.

No stress here I deliver one package at a time the time of year makes now difference I just get paid more during peak. While no having to get out of the car as often.

By the end of my first week at UPS as a unloader on the preload I knew the 5 keys to slips and falls 8 key to lifting and lowering, and more. 4 month is not a short time. During those 4 months I'm sure he has been as to recite them and write them down plenty of times.

S

splozi

By the end of my first week at UPS as a unloader on the preload I knew the 5 keys to slips and falls 8 key to lifting and lowering, and more. 4 month is not a short time. During those 4 months I'm sure he has been as to recite them and write them down plenty of times.

I never said I didn't know them. I said that as far as I knew, it applied to preload only. I have no idea what types of things other employees have to memorize, because I do not work in their positions.

UPSGUY72

I never said I didn't know them. I said that as far as I knew, it applied to preload only. I have no idea what types of things other employees have to memorize, because I do not work in their positions.

Unbelievable if you know them then you now that the 5th key is make adjustment as condition change ( For driver as weather condition change). Every list given out for the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls has that phrase about drivers under the 5th key.

We as driver have to know everything you know as a preloader plus more. The feeder drivers have to know everything you know, plus what package car drivers know and what they have to know. The mechanics have to know everything plus there stuff.

Your going to find out that ignorance isn't a good defense at UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just for future reference the safety rules are for everybody, even management has to follow them.

I don't run and neither does my helper. He did tell me that before he got assigned to me he worked with another driver (who shall remain nameless) that ran all day. He also said that guy's route was waaay overloaded compared to mine and that the driver was miserable and complained constantly about how much work he had (I can't imagine how that happened :rolleyes:).

S

splozi

Your going to find out that ignorance isn't a good defense at UPS.

Ok, dude. This is getting ridiculous. The discussion was about running. What ever gave me the idea that I should be running? Hmm... let me think. My first two drivers ran. They expected me to run. Every driver I have seen out in the real world, even before I started my job at UPS, was running. Nobody... absolutely nobody... at work, ever told me that as a helper, I need to specifically follow the rules I already know. In particular, nobody stressed the idea that I should not be running. Even when I talked to someone who I believe to be a manager, and I said I will no longer be able to run... he, not once, ever said that I should not have been running in the first place. This is all information that I have provided in previous posts. I am unsure of your deficiency, but please cut it out. You obviously are having a difficult time understanding what I am trying to convey. l have tried being respectful...

UPSGUY72

Ok, dude. This is getting ridiculous. The discussion was about running. What ever gave me the idea that I should be running? Hmm... let me think. My first two drivers ran. They expected me to run. Every driver I have seen out in the real world, even before I started my job at UPS, was running. Nobody... absolutely nobody... at work, ever told me that as a helper, I need to specifically follow the rules I already know. In particular, nobody stressed the idea that I should not be running. Even when I talked to someone who I believe to be a manager, and I said I will no longer be able to run... he, not once, ever said that I should not have been running in the first place. This is all information that I have provided in previous posts. I am unsure of your deficiency, but please cut it out. You obviously are having a difficult time understanding what I am trying to convey. l have tried being respectful...

I understand completely your problems. You say that nobody told you that you shouldn't be running isn't believable. I'll leave it at that because you just don't get it you know the 5 keys to slips and falls but don't follow them than in your defense say that you didn't know they applied to drivers also.

This will be my last post.

A little advise unless you change your ways you are going to have a short career at UPS.

Johney

There has not been a helper that I have had,preload or not, that followed the methods,walked,brisk pace,ran(you tell them no but whatever)handrail or no handrail(again you tell them)that has not complained of knees,ankles,hips,shins,whatever hurting in the first 2 weeks. Dang I go on vacation for two weeks and it takes me at least a week to get back in the groove w/o something aching. Even if they do the job by the book they are going to be sore,some complain some don't but you can tell when someone is sore or hurting.

AssistantSanta

Explain to me how I'm supposed to know that.
I was hired off the street and had to attend a paid mandatory orientation which was several hours long.

They went over safety fairly extensively including using handrail, never running, safe lifting and hand truck usage.

During that, each person had to get in and out of the truck once in the center while management observed. Some jumped or didn't use the handrail. Those people got lectured and had to do it over.

Us helpers don't get paid much and we aren't really on a race against the clock. You gain nothing as a helper by making better numbers by cutting corners on safety so taking safety very seriously is to your own benefit.

whiskers

R.i.c.e rest ice compress elevate

I agree, That helps most minor injuries and sprains.

OP, the same thing happened to me last year when I first started the driver helper job. Doctor said it was just stress.

I run because my driver runs. When we fill out the sheet/card thing at the end of the night we mark, "at risk" beside the walks at a brisk pace line.

AssistantSanta

I run because my driver runs.
Walk fast like you're directed. If he has issues, talk to your coordinator and discuss the issue. We make minimum wage/barely above and shouldn't have to put ourselves in that kind of risk.

I put my own safety above anything else and we still get things done. I almost tripped once while trying to stop complete on the walk back to the truck, so I stopped doing that ever since.

When we fill out the sheet/card thing at the end of the night we mark, "at risk" beside the walks at a brisk pace line.
Never had to fill this out myself.

S

splozi

I was hired off the street and had to attend a paid mandatory orientation which was several hours long.

I didn't go through any of that. My driver approached me at the end of my shift, gave me his phone number, told me where and when to meet him.

I would attribute the pain to

Being out of shape
Bad shoes

On a slightly different note. Im 20 years old and have been pre loading for a couple months. Being a driver helper would be even easier for me. I am already used to working on my feet 6 - 10 hours a day at my previous job.

I had read a little bit online about package handling before I applied to UPS. Its ironic how the job turned out to be. People online were saying that you didnt have to actually be able to lift 70+ lbs. YEAH RIGHT! I consistently have to lift 40+ lb boxes. And I am pulling things 70+ lbs off the bottom belt often. I can typically lift anything below 110 lbs without help. Asking for help every time for something over 70 would be ridiculous.

People were saying that pre loading is a very difficult job. Not really. The drivers seem like the ones with tough work. Trying to beat the clock delivering packages, getting yelled at, working long hours outside. Most of all, I only had to move 70lbs from the slide to the truck. How many feet did the driver have to move it when delivering?