Late Freight day

STFXG

My mountain passes range from 7500-10000'. Haven't ever been shut down. Had to detour around road closures a few times. Never even chained up. I don't get the argument here. Our stuff is not time sensitive. If the trailers get there a day late it is still "on-time".

And just like donner pass... Detours are used when a road can't be traversed.

bbsam

Staff member
We had a snowstorm that dropped about 13 inches of snow over night. The real problem though, was that it covered about 7 states. Best scenario though. Nothing moved anywhere by anyone.

bbsam

Staff member
My mountain passes range from 7500-10000'. Haven't ever been shut down. Had to detour around road closures a few times. Never even chained up. I don't get the argument here. Our stuff is not time sensitive. If the trailers get there a day late it is still "on-time".

Exactly. But when such things happen, often customers can't get a refund. The AMOUNT of the refund not given will naturally be far more for the Express packages. I am suggesting that when possible, Ground lowers the extent of exposure to that monetary loss.

MAKAVELI

I'm guessing you're in CO. Don't know about there but no salt on our roads, just plows and sand. I'm sorry but the Sierra and Cascade mountain ranges usually get the worst of the Pacific storms. Plows can't keep up when the snow comes down that fast and wet. Coming from Nevada there is only 2 passes open in the winter in Northern CA. The the detour would be to drive south into Southern CA. So instead of a couple hours late because our planes were delayed you guys would probably be a couple days late. The argument is that bb thinks there is no plausible reason for our freight to be late and ground trailers can basically drive through Armageddon. Every peak I hear from ground drivers that trailers get stuck on the passes so I know he is full of it.

bbsam

Staff member
Ground has many of the same issues with service. We cannot control the weather which is the main cause of late planes. I guess you think trucks can drive through tornadoes, thunderstorms, iced roads, blizzards, etc.

Look what you wrote, SPH. The conditions you claimed we don't or can't drive in I have personally driven in. I understand that these conditions will Ground planes and for good reason. But again, Express customers are paying a high premium for a product and can get the shaft in Illinois for a package on a plane that can't land in Memphis due to weather. With Ground the shipment is guaranteed by a date certain. If a truck gets stopped in a mountain pass five states away, customers are.due a refund. Period.

MAKAVELI

Ground has many of the same issues with service. We cannot control the weather which is the main cause of late planes. I guess you think trucks can drive through tornadoes, thunderstorms, iced roads, blizzards, etc.

Look what you wrote, SPH. The conditions you claimed we don't or can't drive in I have personally driven in. I understand that these conditions will Ground planes and for good reason. But again, Express customers are paying a high premium for a product and can get the shaft in Illinois for a package on a plane that can't land in Memphis due to weather. With Ground the shipment is guaranteed by a date certain. If a truck gets stopped in a mountain pass five states away, customers are.due a refund. Period.
And most customers understand that planes get delayed because of weather. Common sense you know? UPS, USPS, DHL all experience weather delays. And yes Ground does too. Yes we have circumstances beyond the drivers control that produces lates. But we del on time more than not. So what is your point?

bbsam

Staff member
And most customers understand that planes get delayed because of weather. Common sense you know? UPS, USPS, DHL all experience weather delays. And yes Ground does too. Yes we have circumstances beyond the drivers control that produces lates. But we del on time more than not. So what is your point?
My point is that Ground customers are out less money if we do deliver late. One more way Ground is more financially viable.

MAKAVELI

My point is that Ground customers are out less money if we do deliver late. One more way Ground is more financially viable.
Would you rather have your package be a couple hours late or one or two days late?

bbsam

Staff member
If I needed it by 10 and paid a premium for it by 10, chances are it is worthless and a waste.of money a few hours later. If by Ground, not as urgent and less loss of money.