Layoffs in I.S.

R

ramsey500

I was wondering if anyone else heard rumblings/rumors about IBM Consulting coming in to look for ways to outsource the majority of I.T. to China.

H

Honest TSG Folk

I have been around UPS long enough to know that everything comes in cycles. Three years ago we started the cuts in TSG. We went from almost 40 technicians now down to the mid teens. Most were gobbled up into other departments but a few did move on. Two years ago TSG introduced a "GEO Structure". Basically, it was removing supervisors, and one manager by logically collapsing districts.

If you ask any of the upper management they will tell you it is a success. If you look at the front line you are seeing internal and external customers suffering. For those folks that are still in UPS, how many times have you called to get something done, but they tell you that they cant get to you in a number of days. The response you are given is that "That TSG is doing proper planning and prioritizing of the work." The truth is they are understaffed and it is an excuse to cover up the real problem.

Are external customers are leaving for many reasons but the bottom line is service. We can not provide it because we do not offer it anymore.

A

an anonymous guest

It was announced at the Republican convention last night. But you can't take advantage of it if you have any overdue library books.

Go UPS!
P71

R

ramsey500

my PL spoke to me last week. he said if we didn't need to be in the cafeteria during break time, to stay away, because 'SHE' is checking to see who is in there and how long they are in there for. he also said we must work 8.3 hours per day or else we will get on some report. do the people in Mahwah and Paramus have to work 8.3 hours per day? I wonder if HR knows about this?

my PL also said if we work too many hours we shouldn't put it down in WAR. isn't that an integrity issue?

I like my PL because he doesn't drink 'kool-aid' and tells it like it is. probably not a good career move for him though.

pretzel_man

my PL spoke to me last week. he said if we didn't need to be in the cafeteria during break time, to stay away, because 'SHE' is checking to see who is in there and how long they are in there for. he also said we must work 8.3 hours per day or else we will get on some report. do the people in Mahwah and Paramus have to work 8.3 hours per day? I wonder if HR knows about this?

my PL also said if we work too many hours we shouldn't put it down in WAR. isn't that an integrity issue?

I like my PL because he doesn't drink 'kool-aid' and tells it like it is. probably not a good career move for him though.

Ramsey,

Are you an MIP participant?

I know that supervisors' pay is based on 9 hours. District supervisors would kill to be able to work 8.3 hours.

Corporate and especially IS doesn't have the greatest reputation in the district.

Complaining about 8.3 hours won't endear you to them.

P-Man

R

ramsey500

when i started at UPS i worked 50-60 hours a week in a Jersey district so i know what you are talking about. however, when i got an assignment in I.S.N.J., mostly everyone was working 8 hour days.

i have no problem working the hours, it's the way it is being handled that bothers me. if u want me to work 8.3, 9, 9.5 hours a day, make sure everyone gets the memo !!

Last edited by a moderator:

pretzel_man

when i started at UPS i worked 50-60 hours a week in a Jersey district so i know what you are talking about. however, when i got an assignment in I.S.N.J., mostly everyone was working 8 hour days.

i have no problem working the hours, it's the way it is being handled that bothers me. if u want me to work 8.3, 9, 9.5 hours a day, make sure everyone gets the memo !!

Ramsey:

I've had a few assignments working on IS systems. On one of them in the early 90's, I worked in Ramsey.

Like you, I came from a district working much harder than those I saw in corporate and IS. When I was in Ramsey, I worked less hard than when I was back home, but still put in more work than those in the building.

Rather than complain about MY hours, I pushed those around me to do more work. Maybe I was lucky in that there were other district people there, and they piled on.

My point is that as a UPS management person, you have a chance to make an impact. You can pick which way you do it.

I wouldn't complain about 8.3 hours...

P-Man

R

ramsey500

I appreciate your feedback but I guess you don't get my point---

i have no problem working the hours, it's the way it is being handled that bothers me. if u want me to work 8.3, 9, 9.5 hours a day, make sure everyone gets the memo !

everyone meaning the same folks you tried to motivate during your special assignment(s)

Ramsey.....your getting told bad info.....the big guy (DS) has told us to report actual time in WAR. He also told us if anyone tells them to report differently they should have that person see him. I may not agree with everything, but the guy has integrity..............He also got us a pilot to telework beginning next month.........i am a believer !!!!!!!!! He is pushing
his vision..........GOOD for UPS and UPS people............

i think it is time to start drinking the KOOL-AID !!!!!!

R

ramsey500

As I've stated before, DJS is not the problem. And if I get selected as part of the telework pilot, I'll be sitting at home with my PJs and slippers on, sipping the kool-aid!

What's the big deal with not allowing telecommuting? When I was in TSG we were allowed to do it from time to time. I had a TSG supervisor who worked from home quite a bit. The E-commerce group isn't domiciled anywhere, so they work from home almost 100% of the time. Most IT shops live by it these days and the company I work for encourages it as well. We have devs TS-ing in around the clock checking in code. It is definately beneficial.

M

motownonly

As I've stated before, DJS is not the problem. And if I get selected as part of the telework pilot, I'll be sitting at home with my PJs and slippers on, sipping the kool-aid!

Too bad for you Ramsey500, telework is in Motown only

M

motownonly

Ramsey500, you are amazing. Please read below. This is one of the many smearing comments you wrote in the past about the "big guy" and now "he is not a problem". HM.
Jekyll and Hide

It is truly amazing (and a sad commentary on the state of I.T. at UPS) that a person such as D** is in the position he is in. He should be in Operations where his 'management by intimidation' methods would fit right in.

R

ramsey500

maybe there is an ulterior motive to this telework pilot.

wasn't 'big guy' the one hanging out in the Motown parking lot checking to see who left before 4pm? if he didn't trust you in the Motown building do you really think he is now going to trust you working at home?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a knock on your door one day and it was 'big guy' checking to see if you were writing code and not doing the dishes!

and thanks for pulling that old post up. it must have taken you an hour or so looking through all my posts. that's an hour of your life you will never get back!