Layoffs in I.S.

ISFriendly

Ramsey,

Having friends and family members who have lost their jobs in this economy, I feel fortunate that i am still employed. I am concerned that
you haven't found the good in what goes on at UPS and I find you incosistent in what you say. I wonder why you hate so much. I think
if we could get over the petty stuff, we could get to the real issues we face as employees and as a company. :dissapointed:

R

ramsey500

why'd ya hafta make me go and cry?

and for the record, I know how fortunate I am. I love the company, it's some of the players and their methods I do not like, and will continue to speak out against.

and one of the real issues we face as a company is treating people with respect, even when you are demoting them or planning to terminate them.

if you are in MoTown you are lucky- if you are in Ramsey then you must have your head in the sand if you haven't seen or known someone that was treated with less than a little respect on their way out.

treat others as you would want to be treated...

and be nice to those on your way up the ladder because you may meet them again on the way down..

two mottos to live by!

M

motown

why'd ya hafta make me go and cry?

and for the record, I know how fortunate I am. I love the company, it's some of the players and their methods I do not like, and will continue to speak out against.

and one of the real issues we face as a company is treating people with respect, even when you are demoting them or planning to terminate them.

if you are in MoTown you are lucky- if you are in Ramsey then you must have your head in the sand if you haven't seen or known someone that was treated with less than a little respect on their way out.

treat others as you would want to be treated...

and be nice to those on your way up the ladder because you may meet them again on the way down..

two mottos to live by!
-------------
obviously they have not done such a good job getting rid of the pinheads. You are still there. I read your posting and I can't see how someone would respect you. You do not sound like a person who respects anyone and respect goes both ways. GO RAMSEY and go away Ramsey500

Brownie37

I was wondering if anyone else heard rumblings/rumors about IBM Consulting coming in to look for ways to outsource the majority of I.T. to China.

Yes, I heard this too, the "globalization" of I.S. Interviews are supposed to happen to decide what could be outsourced - maintenance, new development, entire I.S. Anyone else know any more about this?

R

ramsey500

Yes, I heard this too, the "globalization" of I.S. Interviews are supposed to happen to decide what could be outsourced - maintenance, new development, entire I.S. Anyone else know any more about this?

been hearing a lot of that lately---

Scuba_Steve

So, who is doing the interviews? UPSers? A consultant?

Sure hope you do more than take the requirements from the customer and give them to the programmers. And you better have people skills dammit!

"Good luck with your layoffs, alright, I hope your firings go really, really well. "

Remember, don't answer the phone on Fridays, and if your asked to be at a special meeting on Friday don't go.

:sick:

ISWarrior

Consultants from IBM.

I told them I liked all Michael Bolton songs.

Basically explain what we do and or what our apps do. This helps them decide what jobs can be outsourced so we can increase our "global footprint" (which will be on my butt when they kick me out the door).

Motownpride

Warrior ....maybe it should be Worrier

We have had SOURCING of some consultants since last year anf it is working. We do development they do mntce. They call it following the SUN.

What portfolio do you work in ?

I seen this panic last year in ours and false accusations were posted on this website about it.

Also, be careful of some NON UPS I/T or ex disgruntled employess who will play with you and make you even more concerned.

ISWarrior

You confuse worry with observation. This is the first time (in my memory) that we were told point blank in a meeting about the "Global Footprint". When and how long (and will) it work is up for debate.

I do not worry, I have multiple up to date skills not just in IS, but other areas. If calamity strikes, No Problem. If it does not, No Problem.

:student: Fact: They have told us in an imprompto meeting that UPS is expanding their global footprint.

:student: Fact: You are not allowed to have a hard or soft copy of the announcement.

:student: Fact: Two unit leads have already begun the process of being interviewed by IBM about what we do and how.

:sweating: Conjecture: This could possibly mean people are going to be outsourced.

:dead: Paranoid Conjecture: You will loose your job and your RSUs

:devil3: Evil Paranoid Conjecture: You will loose your job and your RSUs in two years when the amount UPS will get back by not giving them to you is maximized

:whatever:

pretzel_man

You confuse worry with observation. This is the first time (in my memory) that we were told point blank in a meeting about the "Global Footprint". When and how long (and will) it work is up for debate.

I do not worry, I have multiple up to date skills not just in IS, but other areas. If calamity strikes, No Problem. If it does not, No Problem.

:student: Fact: They have told us in an imprompto meeting that UPS is expanding their global footprint.

:student: Fact: You are not allowed to have a hard or soft copy of the announcement.

:student: Fact: Two unit leads have already begun the process of being interviewed by IBM about what we do and how.

:sweating: Conjecture: This could possibly mean people are going to be outsourced.

:devil3: Evil Paranoid Conjecture: You will loose your job and your RSUs in two years when the amount UPS will get back by not giving them to you is maximized

Didn't they tell you that any reductions would be done through attrition??

I still have friends in IS, and that's what they told me...

The enterprise strategy update certainly implied that management jobs were safe (as long as skills are maintained and objectives are achieved).

You work less hours than district management people and are paid more. I wish IS would work on delivering more as well.

P-Man

upscorpis

Didn't they tell you that any reductions would be done through attrition??

... I wish IS would work on delivering more as well.

P-Man

There has been no such proclamation to me about attrition and I'm one of those that were allowed to have a copy of the announcement. As for delivering more, CIM is IS to the business so be careful with that statement.

I want to retire a UPSer but I'm a little doubtful that's the way it's going to pan out. These types of things have a way of expanding over time. I still believe UPS wants to take care of capable people. I have little doubt about my prospects outside the company but I hope it doesn't get to that point.

pretzel_man

okay...

First, I've heard from old friends (system managers and up) that attrition will handle the work that is global sourced. By attrition, they include the release of contractors. You guys have a bunch.

As far as what I'm not getting from IS....

When I see what a release cost, and compare that to what was delivered, I'm amazed. We still have some people in the districts that can program. They make much less than IS, but can deliver things quickly.

I don't understand why you guys take so long and deliver so little?? Please explain that to me. What does an average release cost? How much do I get??

I must admit, that the quality of your systems has improved greatly over the years. However, the cost has as well.

In the field, we are asked to constantly do more with less. I would like IS to do the same.

P-Man

Motownpride

If they don't tell us they are called snakes.....if they tell us we think there are different motives.....we can not have it both ways........

I watch and I trust until proven otherwise.

It is amazing in this economy none of us have been laid off. I have friends on Wall Street and they have rec'd there walking papers. Some have been there 15 plus years.

Motownpride

Hoaxter,
In your 35 years please tell us your major contribution to the success of UPS and the success of CIM ?

We are dying to hear this !!!

Remember you should get out of it the quality and hard work you pur into it.

I don't know why there is a CIM anymore.....hopefully this gets straightened out in 2009

CIM creates the date, mktg prioritizes the list and CIM gets the requirements wrong and then blames everyone but themselves.

I'll tell you what we are not getting!

You are not giving us the functionality on the release date that we need but were not aware of until after it is launched! :angry:

When you gonna fix that? :wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is amazing in this economy none of us have been laid off. I have friends on Wall Street and they have rec'd there walking papers. Some have been there 15 plus years.

I agree, we are still strong and UPS is doing this as well as can be expected. I refer to one of my previous posts on this thread back on July 27th.

Last edited: