Leaving 12/23 with minimum collateral damage

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My wife's family has a huge gathering for Christmas Eve. Something they have done since she was very young. The feast of the seven fishes. Sucks but it's a crap shoot if I'll be there every year.
My wife as well. She's a NY born Italian so the feast of the seven fishes is huge for us. We are hosting it for the first time at our house. We have about 100 relatives coming in. They all know I might get there late.

There's always food saved for me though. My kids love the gathering though.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm a seasonal driver's helper who has been on the job for a couple of weeks. I have a regular driver. Recently some family obligations came up and I won't be able to work on Christmas Eve. What is the best way to handle this?

If I tell UPS now, will they be likely to get another helper for my driver for that day, or at least lighten his load? I don't want to be a jerk and just not show up on Christmas Eve, but I also don't want my driver to be mad at me for the rest of my time if I tell him now. How and when should I approach the subject?

Also, if I tell them I can't work after the 23rd, am I screwing up any possibility of coming back in the future? Currently it's not in the plans, but it's always nice to have options.

Thanks.
It depends on what type of route the driver has. If I was your driver and you'd been with me a couple peaks ago I could have used any warm body who moved quickly to deliver the rural mostly residential route and you would have never touched a diad.

On my current city route it would devastate the route as my helper needs to be not only trained on a diad, but be fast with it and able to handle working independently for chunks of time and needs to learn/remember the locations of businesses/their protocol. It takes a supervisor working with my helper for a few half-days before turning him/her over to me then a week with me before they're close to where they need to be by the time peak gets going. My helper needed a day off recently and because of the need for a diad-qualified person they actually paid another driver their driver-rate to be my helper for the day.

Box Ox

Tell your driver as early as possible. Don't worry, it will have no effect on whether or not you come back. UPS is desperate for helpers every peak. You missing one day won't change that.

If you're willing to let your coworkers down on Christmas Eve, of all the days of the year, you've got no business working for UPS. Personal injury? Family emergency? Fine. But if you know about something a week in advance and have come to the forum to ask for advice on what to do, it's probably not important enough to leave everyone else hanging when you're needed the most.

upsman68

You should have known that when you were hired at UPS that we work on Christmas Eve. You are letting the driver down if you don't make it to work. I've done it for 26 years now.