Legal firearms in my car

Lobofan5

While we are talking about what we fear.. I fear all the kids who stumble across guns at home or a friends home and blow their brains out.

Guns suck in general.

(waiting to get FLAMED by the NRA folks..)

I heard an analogy today on TV about the troubled nfl players. "If you don't plan on shooting someone, then don't carry a gun.

Dutch Dawg

While we are talking about what we fear.. I fear all the kids who stumble across guns at home or a friends home and blow their brains out.

Guns suck in general.

(waiting to get FLAMED by the NRA folks..)

Hey I hear ya brother. That's why we don't allow our children to play at homes that have swimming pools, baseball bats, trampolines, keys to cars laying on the counter or persons taking medication. It's a dangerous world out there and frankly we considered just making our kids stay inside our home all the time, but we kinda got on each other's nerves so we suspended that rule. :lol: ......meow! (sic)

Dutch Dawg

Early in my career, the company was still awarding shotguns if one desired them for years of service and safety. Of course that's no longer politically correct in spite of none of these firearms ever being used locally to intimidate, threaten, harm, maim, injure, or kill anyone.

If you think for a moment that you're relatively safe from termination because someone does not know of a locked firearm in your vehicle. You may wish to read on. Parking off property is the best option if you wish to carry. As far as I'm concerned on this issue, if you are a law abiding CCW holder, you should have every right to carry a legal firearm in your vehicle (property). Unfortunately it does not work that way at this time.

(Submittion to the local newspaper)
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]A recent news story focused on the use of local police agency dogs performing sniff [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]searches on employee vehicles in company parking lots at the request of some area employers.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]My understanding is what hasn't been told is the firing of some employees [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]as a result of such search in spite of no law violation. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In addition to searching for [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]illegal drugs and related contraband, the dogs have also been trained to search for firearm related scents. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]A positive indication could range from an actual firearm itself to residue left over from [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]transporting empty shotgun shell casings after a prior night of trap shooting. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]When a positive is indicated, reports state the police run the plate and give [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]the vehicle ownership information to the employer. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The employee is then called to the vehicle by the employer and given the option of subjecting themselves [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]to an immediate vehicle search and being vindicated or fired, based on what the officers [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]report finding to the employer and the discretion of corporate policy; not law.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Disagree with me on the right to legally posses a secured firearm or ammunition in [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]one's vehicle if you wish, that's not really the issue here. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]What's truly at issue here is the misuse of public resources that you and I pay for and seems to [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]always be spread too thin. I contend it's not unreasonable to equate this use of police power [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]at taxpayer expense for enforcement of heavy-handed corporate policy.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In these instances the officer and dog are in effect acting as a security service to the private sector. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]This distasteful liaison between police agencies and local corporations should not [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]exist and at the very least needs to cease being performed on time funded by the rest of us. [/FONT]​

Last edited:

30andout

Guns suck in general.

Guns don't suck or hurt people, its only the stupid people behind them or the ones who don't respect them.:thumbup1:

Lobofan5

Hey I hear ya brother. That's why we don't allow our children to play at homes that have swimming pools, baseball bats, trampolines, keys to cars laying on the counter or persons taking medication. It's a dangerous world out there and frankly we considered just making our kids stay inside our home all the time, but we kinda got on each other's nerves so we suspended that rule. :lol: ......meow! (sic)

At least prescription meds come in childproof bottles. Any maroon can point a gun and squeeze a trigger.

Yes, I'm familiar with trigger locks..but a lot of (NOT ALL) people I know that have guns don't use the locks because they want to have quick access to the gun, if needed.

Yes, I know that responsible gun owners teach their own children how to respect guns..yet there still seems to be a lot of..."the child found the parents gun" stories out there.

There is a difference between letting my child be near a tarp covered, elevated, round circle and letting my child play with a deadly weapon.

Sometimes It works to stack the deck in the favor of your child once in a while.

JustTired

free at last.......
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In addition to searching for [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]illegal drugs and related contraband, the dogs have also been trained to search for firearm related scents. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]A positive indication could range from an actual firearm itself to residue left over from [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]transporting empty shotgun shell casings after a prior night of trap shooting. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]When a positive is indicated, reports state the police run the plate and give [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]the vehicle ownership information to the employer. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The employee is then called to the vehicle by the employer and given the option of subjecting themselves [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]to an immediate vehicle search and being vindicated or fired, based on what the officers [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]report finding to the employer and the discretion of corporate policy; not law.[/FONT]​

So how do they know whether it is drugs or a gun? Does the dog tell them?

Let this be a lesson. Always borrow your neighbors car when you go to work. Or you could empty a couple of shotgun shells down the vent of your CMs car. Just for fun, of course!!:wink:

over9five

Staff member
There are many more stories of parents murdering their own children BY LEAVING THEN IN A LOCKED CAR ALL DAY, then accidental shootings.

We would save many more childrens lives if we were to simply outlaw the automobile.

satellitedriver

I read the article link that was provided by huskres. I found this part interesting...

"In July 2003, Lockheed Martin employee Doug Williams abruptly left a training session at the company's Meridian, Miss., plant and retrieved a shotgun and semiautomatic rifle from his truck in the employee parking lot.

He opened fire on employees, killing six and wounding eight.

Afterward, authorities retrieved three more guns from his truck. ]
Sorry hear this story.
If one of the employees had a weapon on them,legally, and saw someone with both hands full (it is hard to carry two long barrelled guns, the rifle must have been on a sling), there might have been only one killed and no wounded.
Pax

satellitedriver

At least prescription meds come in childproof bottles. Any maroon can point a gun
You are so right, thank God for the government that mandates childproof bottles being dipensed to 80yr old patients that have arthritis.( unless they have special dispensation from the doctor)
At least the children are safe.
I hope you can see the analogy between government control of guns and who should be able to possess them.
Pax

voodoolord

Trailer Maggot
Just lock it to the seat frame with a cable lock and don't advertise that you have it.

You took a little wind out of my thoughts, as a concealed weapons permit holder I would never leave my firearm in my truck. That is probably the worst place to leave your gun. When Im packing which is nearly allways, it is on my hip. Im convinced that rules against firearms are allways put in place by people who have very little experience with them and people who just dont understand or dont want to understand that someone who is set on commiting a gun crime does not give a rip about someones 'no gun zone' rule. The people who are going to go rob or shoot someone arent going to read a sticker on the door that says no firearms allowed and say 'oh boy I guess I cant go in there because guns aren't allowed.
we should not be a victim of some ******* with a gun and an attitude whether we're at work or at wallmart because we were unarmed and helpless to defend our selves. Just think how the outcome might have been if a few of the teachers at virginia tech would have been packing. The right to keep and bear arms will allways be the law of the land here and the deterent of a well educated and armed citizen is the best defense.
voodoo

Lobofan5

There are many more stories of parents murdering their own children BY LEAVING THEN IN A LOCKED CAR ALL DAY, then accidental shootings.

We would save many more childrens lives if we were to simply outlaw the automobile.

ACTUALLY...

Total number of U.S. hyperthermia deaths of children left in cars, 2007: 28

Data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals that every day, nearly eight children or teens are killed by gun violence in America — 235 each month.

Keep the cars lose the guns.

over9five

Staff member
"children or teens are killed by gun violence in America "

ACTUALLY:

If you were to READ my post, you'd see that I said "accidental shootings", NOT all gun violence.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Keep the car AND a loaded .45 in it.

BCFan

Steeltoe, I agree with you on this one. I work in the same building you do, and believe me, its not located in the best part of town. There is no way in the world that I would live in that county. I don't see anything wrong with keeping a weapon locked up in your own car. The security guards we have are a joke. All they do is sit at the guard gate checking IDs, I have never seen one patrolling the parking lot. They are unarmed, so what can they do anyway? There are shootings on a regular basis in the apartments surrounding our Hub, I don't see any reason that it is wrong to be able to defend yourself traveling to and from work. I don't carry myself, but I have several weapons within easy reach around my house.

Scratch, i own a house in that county and i agree with you... my motto is " Kill em All , Let God Sort em Out!!" BC (not ballistically challanged)

CJinx

Fedex here, but my state has passed laws that make it illegal for my employer to tell me what I can and cannot have in my personal vehicle while holding a concealed firearms permit. Even if that wasn't the case, what they don't know doesn't hurt them. Every morning when I get to work, I remove my weapon from my person and put it in a lockbox and then lock my car.

I'm always carrying unless I'm on the clock or in a place where it would be illegal(school, post office, jail, etc).

Edit: Good lord, I didn't realize this thread was from 2007. It popped up under similar threads at the bottom, so I clicked it and replied... Sorry :(