Marijuana the legalization of it?

island1fox

:happy-very:Barney Frank's boyfriend busted for pot ---also growing pot plants in Barney's back yard -----Barney's response "I am very disappointed in him --I did not know about the pot plants in my back yard"
He does not know what happens in his own backyard but will continue to tell us that Fannie and Freddy are doing good !!?????
But of course you guys in Mass love him and will continue to elect him !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
WiseT20140104_low.jpg

wkmac

My guess is the initial boom and it's novelty are mostly over and will begin to settle into normal sales patterns. Colorado may be seen in history as the tipping point of not just marijuana legalization but potentially an ending of the drug war itself, or at least the mindless thinking that feeds it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Look to Mass. as a state that legalized mj , but continues to throw up road blocks to anyone who wishes to open a store .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My guess is the initial boom and it's novelty are mostly over and will begin to settle into normal sales patterns. Colorado may be seen in history as the tipping point of not just marijuana legalization but potentially an ending of the drug war itself, or at least the mindless thinking that feeds it.

You don't think Colorado saw the projected $67M in sales tax revenues and didn't really care after that point?

wkmac

Upstate,

I've said before and I'll say it again, if one is thinking marijuana will be a big tax boom, they have a fool for a friend. IMO it's a bad argument most often made by pro-legalization advocates just for the purpose of being a selling point.

At the point marijuana becomes so relaxed that people can grow their own, the big tax revenue payoff will disappear. I still remained unconvinced that marijuana legalization will results to public coffers flush with new tax revenue. I never even make that argument when advocating for legalization. Besides if the purpose is tax revenue, then when the revenue doesn't come in, what keeps from reverting back to the way things were?

wkmac

I might add that about 12 years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs, even stuff like heroin and cocaine. As a result, drug use in Portugal fell like a rock dropped off a cliff. Taking that as example, this also sez in time that marijuana tax revenue will drop from just lack of buyers of taxed product.

MAKAVELI

Upstate,

I've said before and I'll say it again, if one is thinking marijuana will be a big tax boom, they have a fool for a friend. IMO it's a bad argument most often made by pro-legalization advocates just for the purpose of being a selling point.

At the point marijuana becomes so relaxed that people can grow their own, the big tax revenue payoff will disappear. I still remained unconvinced that marijuana legalization will results to public coffers flush with new tax revenue. I never even make that argument when advocating for legalization. Besides if the purpose is tax revenue, then when the revenue doesn't come in, what keeps from reverting back to the way things were?
They call it weed for a reason. It will grow just about anywhere. Most pot smokers will just choose to grow their own or get from someone else for substantially less .

wkmac

They call it weed for a reason. It will grow just about anywhere. Most pot smokers will just choose to grow their own or get from someone else for substantially less .

Exactly! In the 70's we grew our own and there was some trial and error but once you learned what's needed, it ain't hard.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Exactly! In the 70's we grew our own and there was some trial and error but once you learned what's needed, it ain't hard.

This is true, but humans will often choose to buy things that we acquire without much effort. There is a huge market for ready made food. There will be a market for ready to go marijuana.

MAKAVELI

This is true, but humans will often choose to buy things that we acquire without much effort. There is a huge market for ready made food. There will be a market for ready to go marijuana.
But that market for ready made food doesn't regulate how much you can buy, age requirement, and heavy taxation. You add all that together and you got a recipe for homegrown, and from the local dealer.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
But that market for ready made food doesn't regulate how much you can buy, age requirement, and heavy taxation. You add all that together and you got a recipe for homegrown, and from the local dealer.
Good point. I assume there will also be some kind of license required to sell it too since it's government regulated and all. Of course there will be backyard growers and bootleggers too. I still think many people will do the easy thing and buy it from a convenience store.

MAKAVELI

Good point. I assume there will also be some kind of license required to sell it too since it's government regulated and all. Of course there will be backyard growers and bootleggers too. I still think many people will do the easy thing and buy it from a convenience store.
Yea probably your occasional smoker. Or the tourist who is on vacation.