Marijuana the legalization of it?

wkmac

Good point. I assume there will also be some kind of license required to sell it too since it's government regulated and all. Of course there will be backyard growers and bootleggers too. I still think many people will do the easy thing and buy it from a convenience store.

There will be a mix but IMO it won't be the tax payday so many people think it will be.

The other side of this whole equation is also price. What will the marijuana cost and then what amount of tax imposed? So-called sin taxes tend to be quite high so this factors in.

As to making moonshine, I all but live in what was once the heart of moonshine country and building a still takes labor, land, water and of course sugar and corn. All these cost so this factors in to whether one makes their own or buys what we call Gov't liquor. And you can still get shine even today and it's not hard in these parts either.

Marijuana is just a matter of germinating the seed, good Ph and soil along with warm temps. Mother Nature does the rest. Once you get the soil right, germinate and then kick back.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I love to spend time getting my hands dirty in the garden. This year Tony and I grew 3 different varities of tomatoes and 3 different heirloom peppers. We also buy veggies, fruit etc. from South Coast Farms roadside stand and at the nearby farmer's markets.

There is so much more variety available from local growers than at the supermarkets. Take a look at the romanesco we bought from the South Coast Farms roadside stand today:

20140104_170407.jpg

We don't have to grow all of the veggies and fruits we consume. This point of view is posted by my lazy side.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I love to spend time getting my hands dirty in the garden. This year Tony and I grew 3 different varities of tomatoes and 3 different heirloom peppers. We also buy veggies, fruit etc. from South Coast Farms roadside stand and at the nearby farmer's markets.

There is so much more variety available from local growers than at the supermarkets. Take a look at the romanesco we bought from the South Coast Farms roadside stand today:

View attachment 10854

We don't have to grow all of the veggies and fruits we consume. This point of view is posted by my lazy side.
Looks evil.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good point. I assume there will also be some kind of license required to sell it too since it's government regulated and all. Of course there will be backyard growers and bootleggers too. I still think many people will do the easy thing and buy it from a convenience store.

You would have to think that along with the legalization there will be stepped up enforcement of those who choose to grow their own. With Google Earth and the increasing use of drones it would not be too hard to identify and eradicate fields of weed.

wkmac

You would have to think that along with the legalization there will be stepped up enforcement of those who choose to grow their own. With Google Earth and the increasing use of drones it would not be too hard to identify and eradicate fields of weed.

Then you are just creating an enforced monopoly which is not all that much different than you have now. Alcohol is an enforced monopoly but in the case of beer and wine does allow a small limited production for personal use only. There again, in the case of alcohol, enforcement is done to protect the taxation model.

Prohibition was as much about clearing the field of competitors to create in effect a kind of cartel to make a taxation model easier to police as it was to grant the temperance movement a short term victory. Microbrewery beer and other small operations have made gains into those once dominated empires but so to has the consumers of beverage dramatically rose as well. There again is another reason to keep marijuana in it's status of evil plant.

When you tax something, you insure whatever that something is to now have a political motive and political motives invite graft, corruption and cronyism like :censored2: invites flies!

wkmac

OMG! The child died.....no.....the child's in a coma......no........spent weeks in intensive care.....no....got a buzz and then slept it off.

I'm not excusing the irresponsible adults in this case, whoever they may be, but thankfully it appears the child got buzzed and likely woke up with the munchies.

Google:

Children killed by alcohol poisoning
Children killed by prescription drugs
Children killed by chili powder (yeah surprised me too)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Pot is just a "harmless vice". Obama says so......his advisors say otherwise.
Does he ever meet with all these people to coordinate their words??

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Pot is just a "harmless vice". Obama says so......his advisors say otherwise.
Does he ever meet with all these people to coordinate their words??
He didn't say it was harmless. You make a habit of hearing what you want to.
He said cannabis is not much different than cigarettes. Do you know anyone who thinks cigarettes are harmless?

"I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don't think it is more dangerous than alcohol."