Maybe starting?

Wammer

Local UPS facility is hiring a round of part time seasonal workers, apparently they were supposed to have a large group for the AM tour and it was only six of us who showed up, all the other applicants were small, young women, wondering how they would do with how they hyped the physical demands.

Are the demands just hype? Also, the process said it would take eight years to receive full time work, is that accurate at all? The other package guys honestly looked pretty shady, but I did notice there were a lot of older people on the lines. The HR guy said they're definitely hiring permanently, what are the odds of getting in after only a month of scheduled seasonal work?

PT Car Washer

The work "demands" as you describe them are not hyped at all. If anything they were under described. As to going FT, big hiring binge in some parts of the country now for package delivery drivers. Any other FT hopes you may have are just that, hopes. Shady package handlers? Must have been the midnight sort. Don't always judge by looks.

browntroll

The work "demands" as you describe them are not hyped at all. If anything they were under described. As to going FT, big hiring binge in some parts of the country now for package delivery drivers. Any other FT hopes you may have are just that, hopes. Shady package handlers? Must have been the midnight sort. Don't always judge by looks.
i agree with Pt Car Washer, everything was under described. some of the "shady" looking guys in my hub have respectible second jobs, came from military, or
are getting their college degrees. i had one of the nastiest looking guys tell me he donates time to help children with hearing disabilities to learn sign language.
as for the job if you cant keep up they will fire you now, back in the day they only fired on safety issues and seemed like everyone made probation but now sups are
looking to fire new hires.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you can't hack it...most likely they will keep sending you home until you stop showing up for work....or fire you. And yes....some of us ladies can handle the workload.

Wammer

I was just curious, it's a hard thing to manage since it's 5-9 and my other job is at 9, to somehow manage that for a shot at permanent work with UPS which is risky but very rewarding, giving up a permanent(but 100% dead end) job which is a sure thing.

Hopefully I get it, I'm not at all worried about the physical demands, I was in Kirby a couple years ago.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was just curious, it's a hard thing to manage since it's 5-9 and my other job is at 9, to somehow manage that for a shot at permanent work with UPS which is risky but very rewarding, giving up a permanent(but 100% dead end) job which is a sure thing.

Hopefully I get it, I'm not at all worried about the physical demands, I was in Kirby a couple years ago.
Your second job is at 9am? Good luck with that....lol

Wammer

Is the twilight or midnight sorts hiring? May work out better for you.

The supervisor dude said he did not know if they were hiring, but he mentioned that and told us to ask when we spoke to HR, because they may very well be. How quickly do you get promoted? The supervisor was only there two years before he landed his current position, but the application process made it sound like it took a decade to move up.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Really? The guy repeatedly warned us more hours than 5-9 was unheard of, and the application lowered expectations too.
Unheard of?? I guess Christmas peak doesn't exist where you live. You will not get FT hours...but no guarantee that you will be out early enough to get to your second job by 9am.

Wammer

Unheard of?? I guess Christmas peak doesn't exist where you live. You will not get FT hours...but no guarantee that you will be out early enough to get to your second job by 9am.

Well, sure, christmas, I more meant generally, the ad and the supervisor warned us away from getting more hours, it seemed the expectation was 18 a week and not 20.

PT Car Washer

Not all parts of the country are the same. If you get a chance observe or talk to some of the pre loaders about what time they get out. Remember BB 58 is loading the cars so she will be one of the last ones out. Unloaders are the first to be finished.

fres431

Get in do your job sacrifice 3 months of ya life make probation. Talk to as many people as ya can(union members) especially the "elders" they are full of knowledge and wisdom..as far as the 5-9 ya that's rough that 5 can swing 30 mins either way as can the 9. Job is worth it if you do your time an work as directed don't be late . Take what management tells ya with a grain of salt cuz they love to make stuff up

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSwife0174

Where we're at, my husband rarely got over 18 hours/week for years, the exception being peak, and even then only if he made the list seniority wise. As for going full time, took him a little over 10 years to finally be the top guy on the FT job list, another 2.5 years to land FT driver position, and even now, it's swing shift, so hours vary.