Most Helpers are a bunch of crybabies...

Squint

No more work for me!
At the beginning of Peak, and on the first day you get a helper, this is one of the things that needs to be cleared-up. Some drivers want their tips, and rightfully so, so they should make it very clear to their helpers that any envelopes handed to them are theirs since they delivered there all year 'round. Me personally I let the helper(s) keep any cash tips we receive. That money isn't making or breaking me, and it's always a nice added bonus for my helpers. They don't make much to begin with, so anything I can do to help them during the few weeks they're with me is a plus.

Anyway, funny story. Hope that $10 was enough for the bus ride home. I've kicked a few helper turds off the truck mid day because they were utterly useless, and started arguing with me over how heavy packages were. 40 lbs is NOT heavy. Can't lift it? Beat it.

I know times are tough but I averaged about $800.00 every Christmas on my 85% country route in my years of driving. Sorry, but I'm not handing over that kind of money to a guy who'll spend maybe a month with me out of my year of breaking my back.

Marne Vet

I know times are tough but I averaged about $800.00 every Christmas on my 85% country route in my years of driving. Sorry, but I'm not handing over that kind of money to a guy who'll spend maybe a month with me out of my year of breaking my back.

Totally understandable. I just try to help them as much as I can. If they're really good, show up on time, keep the bitching to a minimum, and don't smell like :censored2:, I'll cover their jUnion dues weekly too. I make enough money that I can do this, but I'm not implying others HAVE to do this too. This is just my own personal thing I do during Peak. :)

phox1515

He'd probably cry if I snapped back into Drill Sergeant mode. Aw, you're legs are too sore to work? Throw a tampon on it and lets go. Aw, you didn't know you might have to work in the rain? Hold the same tampon over your head and buy the extra absorbent ones.

haha that's pretty funny. Maybe helpers should go through a month or two of americorps... learn what REAL work is... then when they go to be a helper they'll know... it's quite easy... it's not as bad a military but it's much tougher than ups could ever be... although preload can be tough if you're not in shape.

gingerkat

Before anyone tears me a new :censored2:, I'm curious…doesn't anyone feel bad about leaving someone far from their vehicle? Wouldn't it be better for management to come out and deal with it? Just curious…

I'll be honest, I was feeling that most drivers were in the aholio-boat because they feel superior to all helpers. But playing the rover I was fortunate to work with about 6-7 guys, and realized there are more good than bad. I guess every personality is out there driving, just like helping.

I hope you guys don't take this wrong. I know it's hard to to put yourself in anther's shoes, but try. You do this job day in and day out, so it's natural and easy to you. But to someone that is give no information and probably not physical ready, it's hard.

But it really doesn't matter because it's all over for another year.

Happy New Year!

Before anyone tears me a new :censored2:, I'm curious…doesn't anyone feel bad about leaving someone far from their vehicle? Wouldn't it be better for management to come out and deal with it? Just curious…

I'll be honest, I was feeling that most drivers were in the aholio-boat because they feel superior to all helpers. But playing the rover I was fortunate to work with about 6-7 guys, and realized there are more good than bad. I guess every personality is out there driving, just like helping.

I hope you guys don't take this wrong. I know it's hard to to put yourself in anther's shoes, but try. You do this job day in and day out, so it's natural and easy to you. But to someone that is give no information and probably not physical ready, it's hard.

Happy New Year!
My route doesnt get a helper anymore,but I always tried to treat him or her like a human being.not alot of money or hours,but most of them really needed the few extra bucks!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can't generalize helpers or lump them into a category....everyone is different. But it's no different than a new PTer....chances are....they have no clue what they're getting themselves into....

One year I had a single mother as a helper.She was going to school,and trying to Iimprove herself. One day I brought her in a ham sandwich a few snacks and a bottle of water. I also got her a brown tossel cap and a pair of gloves. My goodness ,you would have thought that I took her our for a steak dinner and shopping at Saks 5th ave! I wish I knew how it worked out for her. That was probably 20 years ago.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
One year I had a single mother as a helper.She was going to school,and trying to Iimprove herself. One day I brought her in a ham sandwich a few snacks and a bottle of water. I also got her a brown tossel cap and a pair of gloves. My goodness ,you would have thought that I took her our for a steak dinner and shopping at Saks 5th ave! I wish I knew how it worked out for her. That was probably 20 years ago.
Hopefully, she made a good career for herself. But that was very nice of you....you're a good man, Gumby.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You can't generalize helpers or lump them into a category....everyone is different. But it's no different than a new PTer....chances are....they have no clue what they're getting themselves into....

That is the best post, in this thread.

I understand Marne Vet starting this thread.... it's frustration.

Helpers firing back at the drivers ?? Not so much.

They don't have enough "skin" in the game.... to justify a retort.

-Bug-

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is the best post, in this thread.

I understand Marne Vet starting this thread.... it's frustration.

Helpers firing back at the drivers ?? Not so much.

They don't have enough "skin" in the game.... to justify a retort.

-Bug-
thank you sir. Don't get me wrong, I can understand where the OP was coming from...and I don't necessarily disagree with most of what he said. But, after years, it's easy to forget our first week at ups...when we all were clueless....lol

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Don't get me wrong, I can understand where the OP was coming from...and I don't necessarily disagree with most of what he said. But, after years, it's easy to forget our first week at ups...when we all were clueless....lol

I will even qualify my statement, a little further.

Current 'part-time' seniority employee's (preload, hub, center) are good with me.

Off-the-street hires.... simply can't grasp the whole concept.

It might not be their fault.

But.... if a driver "tightens them up" (explain what is expected) and they repeatedly fail...

Well.... here we are. Justifiably so.

-Bug-

JakeD

I'm glad I was at least fast last year. it gave me a buffer that even though I wasn't very good with the Diad I was still able to make up for it in quickness. This year I was still fast and knew what I was doing, and knew the route so it was much easier.

Marne Vet

thank you sir. Don't get me wrong, I can understand where the OP was coming from...and I don't necessarily disagree with most of what he said. But, after years, it's easy to forget our first week at ups...when we all were clueless....lol

Being clueless, and being a crybaby are not synonymous. I didn't know what I was doing when I started at UPS, but I kept my mouth shut and asked a lot of questions. I didn't bitch in front of my boss or co-workers for the simple fact that I didn't want them to categorize me as a "baby". Maybe I had an edge coming out of the Army, because hard work didn't bother me too much.

What some of you have missed here is that this thread ONLY covers the turds I've seen, and the worthless hires that have wasted my time. I can start a thread dedicated to all the great helpers I had, but that would be very boring. This is just to vent on the labias we've all been stuck with over the decades. :)

Marne Vet

Happy New Year!

I wouldn't know. I never send my helper(s) off on a hand truck for any reason. Be it weather related, or just not trusting them to hustle when they're out-of-sight-out-of-mind, I keep them on the vehicle.

Drivers are superior to helpers when it comes to the job. As individuals that's debatable, but on that package car they're in charge, and they'll dictate what needs to be done. If it comes across as holier than thou, then that's just the way it is. They're there to get a job done, and most of the time helpers slow them down. Even the runners need to be lead and taught not to do unsafe stuff. From reading your posts you seem like you were a great helper, and we all appreciate that! Thank you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Being clueless, and being a crybaby are not synonymous. I didn't know what I was doing when I started at UPS, but I kept my mouth shut and asked a lot of questions. I didn't bitch in front of my boss or co-workers for the simple fact that I didn't want them to categorize me as a "baby". Maybe I had an edge coming out of the Army, because hard work didn't bother me too much.

What some of you have missed here is that this thread ONLY covers the turds I've seen, and the worthless hires that have wasted my time. I can start a thread dedicated to all the great helpers I had, but that would be very boring. This is just to vent on the labias we've all been stuck with over the decades. :)
I do, however, disagree with your use of "labia" in terms of being synonymous with crybaby. You kick my labia, I'll kick you in the scrotum...and we'll see who cries first, sir...lol.

Marne Vet

I do, however, disagree with your use of "labia" in terms of being synonymous with crybaby. You kick my labia, I'll kick you in the scrotum...and we'll see who cries first, sir...lol.

Hahaha! I gotcha. I had to use that word because using an alternative of "cat" gets censored. :)

JakeD

I wouldn't know. I never send my helper(s) off on a hand truck for any reason. Be it weather related, or just not trusting them to hustle when they're out-of-sight-out-of-mind, I keep them on the vehicle.

she meant the folks firing their helper mid day away from their car. which is a bit of a :censored2: move.

I think some of us are just re-assuring you that there are good helpers out there and perhaps next time you'll get one ;) my driver is disappointed that i can't do it next year.

Marne Vet

she meant the folks firing their helper mid day away from their car. which is a bit of a :censored2: move.

I think some of us are just re-assuring you that there are good helpers out there and perhaps next time you'll get one ;) my driver is disappointed that i can't do it next year.

Oh, then yes, I've done that too. I've never left someone out for the wolves, and they were always near a bus stop, or within walking distance to home. Sometimes there are circumstances that arise that you just have to get them off of the truck. Personally if someone was slowing me down, back talking me constantly, and crying about every little thing they did, I would pull over, grab their stuff, and tell them they were done. I wouldn't waste any more time driving them back to the meet spot since they've wasted enough of my time already. Firing a helper on the spot has been a very rare occurrence. :)