Multi-generational Workers

drewed

Shankman
I noticed in the where did you hear about UPS thread several of you had parents that worked for the company, I think it would be interesting to hear more of these stories.

PaidDriveTime?

I am in a pretty small building, and there are a few different families like that. The oldest is a full time combo now after driving for a while. The younger is a full time driver of a few years. Pretty much the same situation with a couple others as well. Kind of cool how that happens actually.

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
My dad has been driving since '85 I think, and worked local sort way back in the day before that. I've been preloading since the June after I graduated high school; I'm waiting to turn 21 so I can drive. Our last name is David (yes LAST name) and there is another guy (not related) who has the same last name as us. There is also another driver's son who works local sort.

102_0062.jpg

My Dad and I in matching UPS t shirts - Circa 1990

102_0063.jpg

Me in my uniform today

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
nice undershirt. they let you wear that on the road?

I went out on the road today unshaven and wearing white socks! I didn't hear one comment about my appearance and even spoke to my supe face to face for like 10 mins. Now don't get me wrong, I'm normally clean shaven and fully browned. I was called in early to work the preload and didn't feel like changing and shaving before going out on the road. Can't believe they got all the way down to me on the list, as we still have drivers layed off, working the preload as well.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We have a guy in our group whose father worked for UPS. In fact, his father was the Twilight sort manager in the Atlanta Hub where I worked in 1973. He left UPS a few years later and his son started working for UPS about ten years after he left.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I went out on the road today unshaven and wearing white socks! I didn't hear one comment about my appearance and even spoke to my supe face to face for like 10 mins. Now don't get me wrong, I'm normally clean shaven and fully browned. I was called in early to work the preload and didn't feel like changing and shaving before going out on the road. Can't believe they got all the way down to me on the list, as we still have drivers layed off, working the preload as well.

That's one more picture than I've ever had taken of me at UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My daughter is no slouch but I hesitate to post pictures, although you could probably go to her myspace and see some stuff from college I don't want to see.

newguy1

how come they told us seasonals that if we had ANY family member working at UPS we will definitly have no chance of staying fulltime? to not even get your hopes up......i dont have that problem, but just curious though....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
how come they told us seasonals that if we had ANY family member working at UPS we will definitly have no chance of staying fulltime? to not even get your hopes up......i dont have that problem, but just curious though....

Generally, if a relative, such as father worked for UPS in the past, one can be hired. UPS considers very carefully anyone who has relatives currently working for UPS.

Key is that, I believe, after the older person left UPS, a relative then started working for UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a rule, if you have a family member currently working at UPS, you can not work an adjoining shift at the same facility. You can work at another facility with no restrictions and, in fact, may have an edge in getting hired.