Multi-generational Workers

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by drewed, Sep 24, 2008.

1. drewed

drewed Shankman

I noticed in the where did you hear about UPS thread several of you had parents that worked for the company, I think it would be interesting to hear more of these stories.

2. PaidDriveTime?

PaidDriveTime? New Member

I am in a pretty small building, and there are a few different families like that. The oldest is a full time combo now after driving for a while. The younger is a full time driver of a few years. Pretty much the same situation with a couple others as well. Kind of cool how that happens actually.

3. haydendavid380

haydendavid380 is property of UPS

My dad has been driving since '85 I think, and worked local sort way back in the day before that. I've been preloading since the June after I graduated high school; I'm waiting to turn 21 so I can drive. Our last name is David (yes LAST name) and there is another guy (not related) who has the same last name as us. There is also another driver's son who works local sort.

[​IMG]

My Dad and I in matching UPS t shirts - Circa 1990

[​IMG]

Me in my uniform today

4. MR_Vengeance

MR_Vengeance United Parcel Survivor

that would be a nightmare.........:knockedout:

5. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

We have a couple of father-son/daughter deals here at UPS.

6. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

nice undershirt. they let you wear that on the road?

7. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I went out on the road today unshaven and wearing white socks! I didn't hear one comment about my appearance and even spoke to my supe face to face for like 10 mins. Now don't get me wrong, I'm normally clean shaven and fully browned. I was called in early to work the preload and didn't feel like changing and shaving before going out on the road. Can't believe they got all the way down to me on the list, as we still have drivers layed off, working the preload as well.

8. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

We have a guy in our group whose father worked for UPS. In fact, his father was the Twilight sort manager in the Atlanta Hub where I worked in 1973. He left UPS a few years later and his son started working for UPS about ten years after he left.

9. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

That's one more picture than I've ever had taken of me at UPS.

10. Monkey Butt

That's because Steve is Mr. Studmuffins according to the ladies on BC.
    And have you seen the picture of his daughter Sara? Drewed is threatening to move from Alaska to Florida.

11. brownmonster

My daughter is no slouch but I hesitate to post pictures, although you could probably go to her myspace and see some stuff from college I don't want to see.

12. brownmonster

That and I don't need some clown from the far north sniffing around UWM.

13. drewed

drewed Shankman

You never know....lol

14. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

You just gave drewed all the info he needs. Hope you don't mind having an eskimo for a son-in-law!!!

15. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

Better BM than you, huh steve? :happy-very:

16. newguy1

newguy1 New Member

how come they told us seasonals that if we had ANY family member working at UPS we will definitly have no chance of staying fulltime? to not even get your hopes up......i dont have that problem, but just curious though....

17. drewed

drewed Shankman

First def no ekismo you seen the pics lol
    and besides im saving myself for your daughter, shes very ummm attractive:peaceful:lol

18. Monkey Butt

Generally, if a relative, such as father worked for UPS in the past, one can be hired. UPS considers very carefully anyone who has relatives currently working for UPS.

Key is that, I believe, after the older person left UPS, a relative then started working for UPS.

19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

As a rule, if you have a family member currently working at UPS, you can not work an adjoining shift at the same facility. You can work at another facility with no restrictions and, in fact, may have an edge in getting hired.

20. haydendavid380

haydendavid380 is property of UPS

No haha, I just threw that on for the picture. I normally wear the sweaty dirty gray t shirt i wear to load in.