My First Day as Part-time Sup. Any recommendations ?

What I understand so far is that their brain washing does not work at all. Highest turn over I have ever seen and the reasons are clear. Low wages for hard work, employees are given few hours that makes it impossible to make ends meet, most employees will not least UPS as their main job, thus, prioritizing their breadwinner over this company, weak union contracts with a steep monthly fee, and unjust treatment of employees due to stressful management (I am sure that does not happen at all locations). I can clearly see that If I continue with the same school of thought I will never be successful. I will always fail my goals and people will throw boxes at me on their way out in the middle of the shift.

All I can think about doing at the moment is going in with an opened mind, be courteous, respectful, and understand the challenges that employees face both personal and professional and be empathetic to those challenges. I promise I won't be a dick.
Im not questioning your intentions. I've seen this place ruin too many people.

Rack em

Made the Podium
You have the right idea about how to go about the job, but Ups will make it impossible for you keep that mindset. After a month you will be yelling at preloaders to wrap everything up because drivers will be starting in 15min. If you don't adapt to how Ups wants you to supervise then you will fired. Ups doesn't care about you, me, or anybody. The only thing they care about is numbers.

PT Car Washer

What I understand so far is that their brain washing does not work at all. Highest turn over I have ever seen and the reasons are clear. Low wages for hard work, employees are given few hours that makes it impossible to make ends meet, most employees will not least UPS as their main job, thus, prioritizing their breadwinner over this company, weak union contracts with a steep monthly fee, and unjust treatment of employees due to stressful management (I am sure that does not happen at all locations). I can clearly see that If I continue with the same school of thought I will never be successful. I will always fail my goals and people will throw boxes at me on their way out in the middle of the shift.

All I can think about doing at the moment is going in with an opened mind, be courteous, respectful, and understand the challenges that employees face both personal and professional and be empathetic to those challenges. I promise I won't be a dick.
Sure you have never worked here before?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello Everyone,
-I am a new part-time sup hired off the street with management experienced. I have also worked in a union environment. I want to know what is important to you and how can I build a respectful relationship with you guys. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
I respect sups that are honest. Don't be afraid to explain why things are going down.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello Everyone,
-I am a new part-time sup hired off the street with management experienced. I have also worked in a union environment. I want to know what is important to you and how can I build a respectful relationship with you guys. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

This should be good

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Stop shouting. Jesus Christ the amount of shouting that goes on at my place is ridiculous.

If I worked pre-load, I’d end up burying you under the boxes in some random car and closing the door. Some poor driver is gonna find you at about 3pm with instructions left on an info notice stuck to your skull to deliver you.

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
You have the right idea about how to go about the job, but Ups will make it impossible for you keep that mindset. After a month you will be yelling at preloaders to wrap everything up because drivers will be starting in 15min. If you don't adapt to how Ups wants you to supervise then you will fired. Ups doesn't care about you, me, or anybody. The only thing they care about is numbers.

Pretty much accurate, but try to keep the yelling to a minimum, at least for your first month or two. It's too bad you couldn't start as a loader or sorter, get first hand experience since you're not supposed to handle any packages unless you're training someone. What shift and area are you working?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

If that's true then you're already better than 90% of the PT sups out there. Hopefully you stay that way. UPS has a way of making management tense, bitter and unhappy within a few months.

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
If that's true then you're already better than 90% of the PT sups out there. Hopefully you stay that way. UPS has a way of making management tense, bitter and unhappy within a few months.

Not at my hub. Our management team is wonderful, we look out for each other and take care of our people. It can be very stressful when corp is breathing down your neck for numbers, when we have call outs, or things go wrong, but it is what you make it. It's only packages, and we're only human, do what you can and work safe. It's really not that bad of a job, but if you do something to lose the respect of your guys, it'll be very hard to get that back. Welcome to UPS, it's not as bad as it looks...most of the time.

hehe xd

well let's see. don't be an ass, no matter how much you're being pressured. if numbers are being made, what can ya do? if not, send in some help. if no improvement, remove them.

secondly, if someone from the sort(or any other area that you don't supervise) starts :censored2:, don't argue. I had my new sup defend me because a guy yelling "ay bruh. AY BRUH. AY BRUHHHH. stop sending so much :censored2: packages" and my sup told him to shut the hell up after the guy and i argued. the guys sup came and tried to give :censored2: to my sup but we didn't let that happen. it was like a mini turf war except everyone from the sort are midgets who wear gym shorts that are too baggy.

thirdly, have box cutters handy. if we don't have one, we're not gonna go out of our way to get one :)

Pretty much accurate, but try to keep the yelling to a minimum, at least for your first month or two. It's too bad you couldn't start as a loader or sorter, get first hand experience since you're not supposed to handle any packages unless you're training someone. What shift and area are you working?
At this point I am not sure as to the shift that I will be working. My Boss and I did talk about getting me trained as a loader and sorter, that way I can have a better idea of what the expectations are.