My First Day as Part-time Sup. Any recommendations ?

john chesney

Hello Everyone,
-I am a new part-time sup hired off the street with management experienced. I have also worked in a union environment. I want to know what is important to you and how can I build a respectful relationship with you guys. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Oh god are you in for a rude awakening. You ain’t going to have time to worry about us after the division manager or center manager gets on your ass daily

polyp

What are you wanting to get out of this? Chances to move on up? Or just a paycheck before you move on?

The more respect you try and earn with management or hourlies, the more tension you're gonna create on the other side.

I work hardest for sups who communicate honestly, value safety, cooperate with loaders, and who try to protect their belt from full time management. Things like rotating people through the hardest loads, resisting write ups, documenting broken equipment. That'll earn you lots of good will (stand up for your loaders and they'll probably turn a blind eye if you want to handle packages), and will ensure you never make full time.

You're gonna catch h e c k for being an off the street hire. UPS has a culture of abuse for new hires, and it'll be doubly bad for you since you're a new hire sup.

Consider bringing in snacks. People love snacks.

Siveriano

try to talk to your employees, We had a SUP that was a "DICK" but once he came to our center he was that kind of SUP you could actually talk to and will actually listen instead of just saying " WORK AS DIRECTED" he will try to come with a solution to keep company moving as well drivers happy.

The Key is comunication.

Jschnoor

Earn co workers/ local sort respect first. Listen to what they have to say as well as every driver that complains about any and everything. No matter your position - people need to vent, get crap off their chest.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Hello Everyone,
-I am a new part-time sup hired off the street with management experienced. I have also worked in a union environment. I want to know what is important to you and how can I build a respectful relationship with you guys. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Some people need a lot of encouragement. Be cool to the good people, and help them out when and if they really need it. Otherwise fack off....Just help the slackers and nincompoops. Also, I like my packages stacked.

A good guy

Are you a twilight/midnight sup or preload?

Twilight sups were pretty chill and didn't have much motivation outside of nearly being done by 10. Preload sups though, they seem like they hate their lives. Having to deal with a slow preload AND drivers bitching at them.

Edd O'Rion

Learn the job properly so you can teach the job properly. I’ve had prepaid sups stack load my shelves instead of lip load. And when I showed his manager, he didn’t notice what was wrong with my load either! Blind leading the blind.

wilberforce15

Other companies love UPS management. If you want to stay a decent person, take the job for a few years and move on.

I've only ever seen three types of supervisors:

1) Good guys who get beat down trying to do right by everyone, who leave for greener pastures with some emotional/mental scarring proportional to their time at UPS.
2) Good guys who get beat down trying to do right by everyone, who don't leave for greener pastures. They are depressed, get fat, hate every part of the job, but are still too nice to upset their superiors or their hourlies. And they're too scared to pull the trigger and leave the company. Their lives SUCK.
3) Guys who assimilate and embrace the dark side.

Do a few years, save some money for your transition away, don't worry about the numbers except enough to keep your job, and use the experience to get a great job somewhere else. Of all management people I know, those are the ones who were happiest. UPS will not share much information with new companies you apply to. That means all their yelling or disappointment with you will not reflect on your record or stop a new company from hiring you. All they will report is your position and hire/end dates. You can spin your employment and success at UPS any way you want.

Are you a twilight/midnight sup or preload?

Twilight sups were pretty chill and didn't have much motivation outside of nearly being done by 10. Preload sups though, they seem like they hate their lives. Having to deal with a slow preload AND drivers bitching at them.
Twilight Sup.

Other companies love UPS management. If you want to stay a decent person, take the job for a few years and move on.

I've only ever seen three types of supervisors:

1) Good guys who get beat down trying to do right by everyone, who leave for greener pastures with some emotional/mental scarring proportional to their time at UPS.
2) Good guys who get beat down trying to do right by everyone, who don't leave for greener pastures. They are depressed, get fat, hate every part of the job, but are still too nice to upset their superiors or their hourlies. And they're too scared to pull the trigger and leave the company. Their lives SUCK.
3) Guys who assimilate and embrace the dark side.

Do a few years, save some money for your transition away, don't worry about the numbers except enough to keep your job, and use the experience to get a great job somewhere else. Of all management people I know, those are the ones who were happiest. UPS will not share much information with new companies you apply to. That means all their yelling or disappointment with you will not reflect on your record or stop a new company from hiring you. All they will report is your position and hire/end dates. You can spin your employment and success at UPS any way you want.
Great advice thanks!

Open communication, learn the job yourself well and train new hires like they're supposed to be, depending on the job. Stand your ground with :censored2: preloaders. If you can't handle their :censored2:ery go get your FT supervisor. I had a preloader, 2 months on the job, tell a part time supervisor what she want going to do and the FT supervisor told her she could work as directed or be walked out the gate for good.

What I understand so far is that their brain washing does not work at all. Highest turn over I have ever seen and the reasons are clear. Low wages for hard work, employees are given few hours that makes it impossible to make ends meet, most employees will not least UPS as their main job, thus, prioritizing their breadwinner over this company, weak union contracts with a steep monthly fee, and unjust treatment of employees due to stressful management (I am sure that does not happen at all locations). I can clearly see that If I continue with the same school of thought I will never be successful. I will always fail my goals and people will throw boxes at me on their way out in the middle of the shift.

All I can think about doing at the moment is going in with an opened mind, be courteous, respectful, and understand the challenges that employees face both personal and professional and be empathetic to those challenges. I promise I won't be a dick.
With this attitude you will not last long on the management side. But you would make a great teamster.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Treat people with respect and you will get it back. And dont go hard ass on the people that have been there longer then you, it will not work and lose the rest of the group. Incentives are nice bonus like Gatorade or pizza if able to make it work but respect is everything that's why 90% of us hate this job is disrespectful management idots that know nothing and act like they do.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
" I advise you to start drinking heavily"

seriously , a real good book to read is "Discovering the Laws Of Life " by John Templeton . yo can get it for a couple bucks on Amazon or Ebay. I have about 10 copies and give them out to friends and family.

excellent on how to get along with others and general good life advice.

watdaflock?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Your boss will tell you what is important to us, because they are who really decides how we're treated.

Hope this helps.