My pickup

over9five

Staff member
And I'd never make a customer make a trip to a drop box when she's standing at my truck door with her packages. That's plain stupid.

AND, I want to be in that discussion with my center manager telling me sending her to a drop box was the right thing to do.

rod

Retired 22 years
Could have been the driver was on the verge of going postal and had been pushed to his limits one too many times and said the hell with it---if that's the way they want the game played---so be it. Follow the rules word for word. (personally I would have given him the center manager's phone number and told the customer to reem him a new one).

JL 0513

I have a UPS pickup everyday for a small business I run. I don't ship a ton but to make a long story short and get to my question:

Since I moved locations about 7-8 months ago the driver who is a super nice guy delivers my area in the early afternoon generally which is convenient for me (both of us I thought) because if I have my boxes ready early I just walk them out to his truck when he's parked across the street. Sometimes I have to leave early and it works out great.

So anyway, today he was right in front of my place at 12:30 and I was leaving the shop at 2:00 for a business appointment. I carried 5 small packages out to his truck and even already closed my shipping on the computer so I had the slip it prints out. Only today he said that he couldn't accept my packages at that time. He said that his boss told all the drivers they're not allowed to do pickups outside of the time that is in their machine under any circumstance and was very apologetic. It forced me to have to drive a few miles to at least drop off the overnight package in a box on the other side of town.

I don't want to get my driver in trouble, he is really a great guy and I've never had a problem with UPS before. Prefer you guys over FedEx but it was kind of insulting for him not to take packages that I needed shipped with the piece of paper that closes my shipping for the day and everything. Is there anything I can do about this?

Sorry you experienced bad service in this case, hopefully you deal with a driver with a brain next time.

We are specifically trained to accept all properly labeled packages by anyone who hands them to us.

At UPS, we deal with "flavors of the month". A push for some random metric out of a million metrics they document. Apparently, this driver's management team went too far in enforcing an unimportant p/u window compliance. Missing one pickup window is really no big deal and drivers DO NOT get in trouble for this. In fact, we can miss all of our pickup windows and we can't get in trouble as long as the pickup is successfully made.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry you experienced bad service in this case, hopefully you deal with a driver with a brain next time.

We are specifically trained to accept all properly labeled packages by anyone who hands them to us.

At UPS, we deal with "flavors of the month". A push for some random metric out of a million metrics they document. Apparently, this driver's management team went too far in enforcing an unimportant p/u window compliance. Missing one pickup window is really no big deal and drivers DO NOT get in trouble for this. In fact, we can miss all of our pickup windows and we can't get in trouble as long as the pickup is successfully made.

Maybe in your center they don't get in trouble but its been proven may times before that all centers aren't ran the same.

SafetyFirst

If they say come he'll or high water you better be there within that window that's a work as directed issue. There are obviously ways of taking the packages without completing that pickup at the time but try missing all of your pickup windows in my building

JL 0513

Maybe in your center they don't get in trouble but its been proven may times before that all centers aren't ran the same.

There cannot be discipline for not making a p/u window. This would never fly. Many routes have p/u's setup that it's actually impossible to make p/u windows. I've seen 5 spread out p/u's all with the same p/u time on some routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
There cannot be discipline for not making a p/u window. This would never fly. Many routes have p/u's setup that it's actually impossible to make p/u windows. I've seen 5 spread out p/u's all with the same p/u time on some routes.

Just because something is impossible to do has never stopped UPS from disciplining someone for not doing it. The idiot who made up the impossible rule believes it can be done and unfortunately a lot of center manager's don't have the gonads to admit it can't be done because they are afraid of bucking a higher-up.

JL 0513

Talk about a weak center if the drivers would take this threat over something we can't fully control. Drivers would scream down management at the PCM in my center. Would never stand.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The best thing would be to call in to the Center mgmt team and explain that when your pkgs are ready and you hand them to the driver that should be the end of it. It would not get the driver in any trouble (plus he knows it's a dumb policy and would likely appreciate your call to validate that fact) since he's trying to follow their ridiculous policy.

He's probably scared to upset the apple cart if they've made this point an issue. Someone in corporate dreams these things up and they don't work in real life.

35years

Gravy route
Or do anything that makes sense.
I had a split off a younger driver that had a pick up in the development. I offered to make the pick up and text him the bar code. He would have none of it.
That move would be considered an act of dishonesty. The younger driver did the right thing by not doing it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If UPS wants to waste money paying the driver to go back later in the 30 minute window for no reason, then so be it, easy money. That's no reason for him to refuse to take them earlier in the day though, makes no sense.

35years

Gravy route
If UPS wants to waste money paying the driver to go back later in the 30 minute window for no reason, then so be it, easy money. That's no reason for him to refuse to take them earlier in the day though, makes no sense.
Yep,
Take the boxes.
Inform the pick up you are required to close them out later, and you will be back to make sure they don't have more. Inform the pick up that if they are gone later you will close them out at that time and enter the boxes picked up earlier.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep,
Take the boxes.
Inform the pick up you are required to close them out later, and you will be back to make sure they don't have more. Inform the pick up that if they are gone later you will close them out at that time and enter the boxes picked up earlier.

No, no, no, no. If the shipper hands you the packages and tells you that he is all set for the day you close out the pickup within the +/- 15 window at your current location. You do not have to drive back there just to satisfy a metric.