My Thoughts On Peak

TUT

The USPS is going to suck for as long as anyone here can see and it won't expand 7 day delivery much beyond what it delivers now, if at all.

The USPS is still looking to cut full service back to 5 days a week in order to better align paid hours with available work. Amazon accounts for a tiny percentage of their volume and the Sunday freight is overwhelmingly delivered by lower wage temp and PT employees.

And then there's the clause in the contract that allows the USPS to exit the arrangement for any reason with a 30 day notice.

Well they seem to be unsucking more, perhaps shorter run from regional warehousing is the ticket. As mentioned, we'll see about the rest.

overflowed

The USPS is going to suck for as long as anyone here can see and it won't expand 7 day delivery much beyond what it delivers now, if at all.

The USPS is still looking to cut full service back to 5 days a week in order to better align paid hours with available work. Amazon accounts for a tiny percentage of their volume and the Sunday freight is overwhelmingly delivered by lower wage temp and PT employees.

And then there's the clause in the contract that allows the USPS to exit the arrangement for any reason with a 30 day notice.
So they aren't going to deliver 8 days a week then?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well they seem to be unsucking more, perhaps shorter run from regional warehousing is the ticket. As mentioned, we'll see about the rest.

Losing billions of dollars a year.

The USPS deal with Amazon specifies that Amazon is responsible for the transportation of the freight to the USPS facilities.

TUT

The USPS deal with Amazon specifies that Amazon is responsible for the transportation of the freight to the USPS facilities.

Well the gov allows them to lose billions, if they continue to do so, no sweat off their back or the partners/customers. That is their unfair but real advantage.

DontThrowPackages

Some people were raised with no personal integrity. When I was a swing, I always passed any gifts along to the intended recipient. I can honestly say that greed is not part of my character, and was happy to see the regular driver receive their thank you from their customers.
Lack of integrity is right. I was once told, by someone, I was stupid for alerting a stranger that he had dropped behind him a 100.00 bill. The stranger( in vegas) looked down and picked it up. Never looking at me, let alone a thank you. I'm seeing more people, not just born in certain countries but also born in the US, honestly believing taking is ok. If someone leaves their lunch in the Frig, Its ok to take it because...they left it. Or if some has a window down in their car. It ok to reach in and take something because.....they left the window down. "Well they shouldn't of...", Even something as simple has forming a line. Some people see the line but rather than go to he back, they cut to the front like that's the way it is.
I was listening to the radio. Traveling around Japan was the topic. A person called in to say they vacationed in Japan and couldn't believe, shortly after returning home to find a parcel from Japan. Inside was her husbands wallet which they thought he had lost at the airport. The cleaning crew nor other hotel staff had removed anything...nothing. And to top it, the hotel paid for the shipping. Different times...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The USPS is quite profitable if you exclude the onerous 75 year pension funding scam orchestrated by the Republican Party. They want it privatized, so it needs to fail.

You know this, so why spread more lies?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The USPS is quite profitable if you exclude the onerous 75 year pension funding scam orchestrated by the Republican Party. They want it privatized, so it needs to fail.

You know this, so why spread more lies?

For the 35 years beginning in 1972 and ending in 2006, the USPS turned an operating profit in 15 of those years.

The 2006 mandate requires a $5.7 billion contribution to the pension fund each year. This began in 2007.

Taking that expense out of the equation, the USPS still lost money in 2009, 2010, 2011 (when it wasn't required to make the contribution because Congress postponed it), and 2012. It otherwise turned a profit in 2007, 2008, and 2013 (barely). I can't find the official figures for FY 2014. Some sources say they barely lost money and others say they barely made a profit.

So, "quite profitable" means "operates at a loss most of the time." The USPS doesn't consistently operate in an efficient manner and that's with and without making adjustments for the pension funding payments.

The bill (HR 6407, for those keeping score at home) was sponsored in the House by 2 Democrats and 1 Republican. It passed a voice vote in the House and was passed with unanimous consent in the Senate before being signed into law. The bill had the support of the USPS, the National Association of Postmasters of the US, and the National Association of Letter Carriers (postal union). That is the definition of a "scam orchestrated by the Republican Party."

Goldilocks

Personally, I could care less anymore. 2 more peaks and I'm done. Looking for a way to fall, hurt or come down with the flu next year. And yes, this is an employee that use to love to come to work.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Personally, I could care less anymore. 2 more peaks and I'm done. Looking for a way to fall, hurt or come down with the flu next year. And yes, this is an employee that use to love to come to work.
Well maybe if Fred and his cronies hadn't gotten so greedy maybe you and most others would still like coming to work.

vantexan

I
Here's a great article on what happened with the pension act.
Don't listen to Dano's spin.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/14486-the-usps-media-fail
Interesting article. But if the Post Office does have billions of less pieces of mail, and a $12 billion dollar shortfall in 2012, for example, then even with the pension funding mandate it still is hemorraging money. Could it be that the Republicans were forcing them to fund their own pension rather than be a huge burden on the government if it failed? 75 years out sounds a bit excessive though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For the 35 years beginning in 1972 and ending in 2006, the USPS turned an operating profit in 15 of those years.

The 2006 mandate requires a $5.7 billion contribution to the pension fund each year. This began in 2007.

Taking that expense out of the equation, the USPS still lost money in 2009, 2010, 2011 (when it wasn't required to make the contribution because Congress postponed it), and 2012. It otherwise turned a profit in 2007, 2008, and 2013 (barely). I can't find the official figures for FY 2014. Some sources say they barely lost money and others say they barely made a profit.

So, "quite profitable" means "operates at a loss most of the time." The USPS doesn't consistently operate in an efficient manner and that's with and without making adjustments for the pension funding payments.

The bill (HR 6407, for those keeping score at home) was sponsored in the House by 2 Democrats and 1 Republican. It passed a voice vote in the House and was passed with unanimous consent in the Senate before being signed into law. The bill had the support of the USPS, the National Association of Postmasters of the US, and the National Association of Letter Carriers (postal union). That is the definition of a "scam orchestrated by the Republican Party."

We have the lowest postal rates in the First World, as in subsidized so Fred S can't buy the Postal Service and charge $3.50 for a first class letter. In spite of the artificially low rates, the USPS does quite well, except for the financial noose around its neck in the form of the retirement funding mandate.
The fact that the USPS is highly organized also makes them a huge target for the anti-union GOP.

TUT

We have the lowest postal rates in the First World, as in subsidized so Fred S can't buy the Postal Service and charge $3.50 for a first class letter. In spite of the artificially low rates, the USPS does quite well, except for the financial noose around its neck in the form of the retirement funding mandate.
The fact that the USPS is highly organized also makes them a huge target for the anti-union GOP.

If we, you mean Fedex, then no. You have the same published rates as UPS which those are the highest prices in the industry less some very special carrier service. Each company can discount to levels that beat each other out. Believe it when most jobs go from one carrier to the other, it is the new carrier beating the rates of the current.

Then you have regional carriers they are all cheaper than Fedex and UPS.

And USPS is cheaper on avg than Fedex and UPS.