Need Advice! (not an employee)

When you are new it is. Must work 6 months before you can switch and there has to be a need. UPS may tell you a year.

Ok, so then I will expect to be on third for awhile if I decide to go that route, no matter what shift it will be rough working 2 jobs. Its just a matter of picking my poison, third shift you lose Friday night and will be tired on Saturday

NickyNik

Ok, so then I will expect to be on third for awhile if I decide to go that route, no matter what shift it will be rough working 2 jobs. Its just a matter of picking my poison, third shift you lose Friday night and will be tired on Saturday

Just know during peak season times listed on the site tend to be different than the actual. (Earlier I've noticed). The first hub I worked at listed twilight starting at 6:30. But during peak season it got pushed up to 5, and the midnight sort got pushed up an hour. Preload was pushed up 2.5 hours.

Ms.PacMan

Is there no other way for you to free up some money from your budget to fund his tuition? Or rent a room in your house/condo/apt?

Are you funding this upfront with cash from a paycheck or just paying his student loans?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Your post is too long and I did not read it all. Read far enough to see you're looking for a PT job and are a college student.

* Temp preloader. Within a week you'll have the opportunity to become a PT Sup. Go that route, it'll look good on your resume later after college.

Good luck.
@Austin.Was.My.Hero , you seem to have skipped over too much of the OP's posts. OP is not a college student, and has a full time day job starting at ~7:30 AM

hexmurph

you do realize that you will be taking home less than $200 a week most of the time.

add in the fact your drive sounds like it would be long. so factor in gas and the fact that this is hard frickin work.

so your body, mind and car will be beaten down for less than two hundred bucks

fres431

Let's make sense of this you wanna work at ups part time to help kid go to college? Ups preload pay $11 so you'll be making 200 to 300 a week after uncle same gets his cut reduce that by a 1/3. Divorce? I'm sure the woman gets some alimony lose some more so you'll be making 500 a month losing sleep and time to get "sum" send you kid to apply for ups while going to college

I appreciate what you all are saying about it being hard work for not much money, and to take into consideration the drive and gas, no free time etc. The best salary I see out there for a retail job is 11.75 at Aldi. The rest pay around $8 - $10 and you will probably have to work weekends. I am looking into retail options as well, but most want you available all hours of the day. UPS is appealing to me because they don't want you to work weekends or holidays and the healthcare benefits. I do have healthcare benefits at my day job but it would be a plus to have another option after I am there a year. My son does have a part time job as well as going to school. I have taken out loans to pay for the first 2 years, but would like to pay cash for the next 2 years if possible. I also have a house payment, car payment and credit cards like everyone else and would like to get debt free, which is another reason I want to get a second job.

Last edited:
Just know during peak season times listed on the site tend to be different than the actual. (Earlier I've noticed). The first hub I worked at listed twilight starting at 6:30. But during peak season it got pushed up to 5, and the midnight sort got pushed up an hour. Preload was pushed up 2.5 hours.

Thanks for the heads up!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thank you everyone who took the time to read my long post! I appreciate your input. I have not given up on UPS but I see I am going to have to find the right fit or wait until my hours change. Even in retail I may have a hard time finding a job that will work around the hours of my full time job.
Go wait tables or bartend part time. Fast easy money= Work less hours and make more money hourly than a part time job.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There has to be something better for you..I can't tell you how many people thought ups was a great company until they started working for them and found out what a disappointment it was and left after a month or two...if I were you I would look into fedex express as a part time driver... Better pay than ups and good healthcare and maybe be able to get on full time which will take years at ups if that is your ultimate goal... And FedEx express does hire drivers off the street in their 40's...