New DOT Regulations

Cementups

Box Monkey
Made a visit to catch up on gossip, and one of the runners got a warning letter last week for not taking his 30 minutes.

Be careful out there.

No worries here. I've had my current route 2.5 years and I've always taken my 30 minute lunch starting sometime between 1 and 2. Even my boss knows where and when to find me if he's out looking for me.

BrownArmy

Something "runner gunners" will never have a problem with. ;) have a safe 12 hour day boys. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Have you done the math and realized how much money you're screwing yourself out of by donating your legally mandated lunch time to the company???

(must be THOUSANDS...multiple Benjamin Franklins...).

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink2:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
i spent close to a hour digging thru bureaucratic phone nonsense until i spoke to a dot enforcement officer specializing in the newest regulations,, he said 100 air miles w/log book, also he said everything i told him about fines and enforcement were null regarding a pc driver on the federal level .. who would know better than him.. i HIGHLY suggest you call your local dot enforcement division for the law,, dont go on hearsay

Already have, but I go higher than just an Officer. you misunderstood his comments, he was correct in saying no logbook required for the 100 mile air radius but he's not saying that exempts you from the regulations, just from the recordkeeping requirement. He's telling you that enforcement won't be focused on Pkg drivers, and it won't.... until a serious accident causes it to be. To enforce they will have to obtain the records from the Company rather than at the roadside as they can with us. None of this changes that it's the law and we are required to follow it. I suggest you call him back and ask if you are also exempt from all the other HOS regulations such as driving past your 14th hour or using the 16 hour exemption more than once a week and see what he says. Tell him you're a real go-getter and you want to drive 18 hours a day every day.

But step back a moment and ask yourself if it makes sense that this Company which has seemed to build their business model around "encouraging" drivers to work during their unpaid meal periods has suddenly been overcome with a conscience and wants all the runner gunners to take a break. That or were supposed to believe that a multi billion dollar corporation has the most incompetent legal team on the Planet.

If ignoring this rule becomes pervasive expect a whistleblower action to set things straight.

Pickles

OK, I got a new question...

My manager said today you don't need the 1am-5am 34 hour restart as long as you never go over the 60 hours in 7 days rule.

For example, a driver did a run ending at 6am on Saturday morning last week, it was a short run and he only got about 8.5 hours per day, this week he started Monday morning at 1am (42 hours off but only 1 1am-5am period) and it will be about 9 hours a day. He said he could do that because he never went over the 60 in 7 rule. There was no need for a restart. He said it's either the 34 rule or the 60 in 7. To me it looks like you always need a restart. Can anyone chime in and help?

HOSjpeg.jpg
HOSjpeg.jpg

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Have you done the math and realized how much money you're screwing yourself out of by donating your legally mandated lunch time to the company???

(must be THOUSANDS...multiple Benjamin Franklins...).

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink2:

In a bonus center the amount of money you lose by not taking lunch is equal to zero.

Micah,

We have been instructed that there has to be two 1-5am back to back periods during the reset. HAS to be so much so that we have swing drivers that cannot take certain bids because they will not have those two 1-5's in their reset between weeks.

To those speaking to agents of the Feds, the only agent I would take at his word would be the one that is the guy who would pull me over. What any other says is hearsay.

Word is we are upping the number of new feeder drivers we are bringing in so we have enough to adjust to the new laws. If UPS is spending money then my bet is there's hard e evidence to do so.

over9five

Staff member
OK, I got a new question...

My manager said today you don't need the 1am-5am 34 hour restart as long as you never go over the 60 hours in 7 days rule.
Correct. You don't need to reset if you can keep it under 60 during the past 7 days, but you have to watch your hours very carefully every day.
It's just much easier to keep track with a reset.

STFXG

Looks like the 30 minute break requirement is going bye bye for package drivers:

http://m.truckinginfo.com/news/182645/court-upholds-most-of-hours-of-service-rule

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
So...If the DOT says it doesn't apply, and the company still want's you to take the 30 mins(I really doubt they will), Why wouldn't you still take it?--Don't understand this line of thinking
it never applied to pkg car.....ever.. nothing will change this is a ups thing not a dot one

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
And we wonder where the saying "Dumb truck drivers" comes from.

I think its time that we give up on trying to convince other drivers that the regulation does apply to package cars. No matter what facts they are shown, they will continue to believe what they choose to believe. Makes me wonder if they still look for a fat guy, dressed in red, with a white beard climbing down the chimney on Christmas.
hows this workin out for ya,, did you call the enforcement division of your local dot or just believe what you were told

MAKAVELI

So...If the DOT says it doesn't apply, and the company still want's you to take the 30 mins(I really doubt they will), Why wouldn't you still take it?--Don't understand this line of thinking
it never applied to pkg car.....ever.. nothing will change this is a ups thing not a dot one
Actually it did. It clearly stated it along with HOS applied to all cmv as defined by fmcsa. And it's not just UPS as FedEx ground was enforcing the rule as well.

M

MenInBrown

So if it has been struck down no for short haul drivers, why has ups not changed policy?