New full time driver

twoeddies1

In my hub there's 4 centers with about 30 trainees. The DM had a meeting with them last week and called out a few that weren't taking lunch and told them they wouldn't make book unless they took their full lunch. I dunno what else was said in the meeting but the two that told me this looked like they just saw the devil

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my hub there's 4 centers with about 30 trainees. The DM had a meeting with them last week and called out a few that weren't taking lunch and told them they wouldn't make book unless they took their full lunch. I dunno what else was said in the meeting but the two that told me this looked like they just saw the devil

Your DM is right----in order to qualify you must be able to run scratch while taking your full lunch. That being said, the decision is usually made at the center level and it has been my experience that the center manager will lean more heavily on performance knowing that being able to take a full lunch will come with experience.

Whargoul

I bought a smartphone and it is the best thing ever! I use google maps on it ( not while im driving ofc ) for area view w/street names and GPS to show where im at on the map. I can also just punch in the address and it shows me what routes to take, how long to get there, how many miles. I was thinking of using a blue tooth earpiece to go hands free and use voice commands.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Believe me when I tell you that your GPS is taking a solid half hour of your day. Most resis are in communities. One look at a good map book and your board and you can see the streets and it starts coming together. If you rely on GPS it's going to take you longer to learn the route because you're entering it in the search field instead of looking at your stops in the board and seeing things you suddenly recognize. Also, you usually have a good 5 or 10 minutes in the AM to at least set up your air. And ehff ORION, if you have a stop that is bulking your truck, get rid of it as soon as you can. The moment you can move around in the back is when your day gets that much easier. Then it's just a matter of organizing your next 5 - 10 stops. At lunch, if you're bored, feel free to set up all your resis...then you can open the bulkhead door and reach in confidently and grab your packages. It all comes together in the blink of the eye one day. But seriously, your GPS is robbing you of a solid half an hour...maybe more.

PT Car Washer

Used GPS in Kansas City a couple weeks ago. Drove all over town with it. I have no idea where we were. Great for taking you a place you do not where it is located but the next time you still don't know where it is. Big fan of a good map book.

upschuck

With GPS you are just following the leader, where with a map you actually plot out where you are going and actually learn something. May take a little longer know, but will pay off in the long run.

ajax25

I only use gps if I can't find an address for some reason or I'm running a misload to another area and I don't have a map

Sent using BrownCafe App

Whargoul

Yeah, maybe if you just input every address into the search field and get directions you might lose some time, but like I said you can just bring up the area map and zoom in on your position and it shows the streets. It's a map plus more. I ran bonus going out blind and used the navigation for every stop. Personally, I don't like to carry around a stack of maps with me. If I asked my sup for a map he would print me one right off the same Google maps software because that what they use in the office. Anyway, it works great for me.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Believe me when I tell you that your GPS is taking a solid half hour of your day. Most resis are in communities. One look at a good map book and your board and you can see the streets and it starts coming together. If you rely on GPS it's going to take you longer to learn the route because you're entering it in the search field instead of looking at your stops in the board and seeing things you suddenly recognize. Also, you usually have a good 5 or 10 minutes in the AM to at least set up your air. And ehff ORION, if you have a stop that is bulking your truck, get rid of it as soon as you can. The moment you can move around in the back is when your day gets that much easier. Then it's just a matter of organizing your next 5 - 10 stops. At lunch, if you're bored, feel free to set up all your resis...then you can open the bulkhead door and reach in confidently and grab your packages. It all comes together in the blink of the eye one day. But seriously, your GPS is robbing you of a solid half an hour...maybe more.
If your a :censored2: your GPS might take somebody a half hour. 5 min tops to figure it out if you remotely aware of where your at. And not all resies are in a development. Depends on where your at really, in the city, suburbs, town or country. If I have a misload somewhere and I don't know where its at, ill punch it in on GPS and just let it take me there as I will hear it through my Bluetooth headphones anyway.

BigBrown3605

What exactly does ORION do? I hear it tells you where to go? if so how? I also keep reading its a complete disaster. So was EDD when it first launched. I hear anyone can be thrown out in the blind with ORION and know exactly where to go? Is this true? My center is still about a year out from getting ORION. I'm in INDPLS IN if it matters.

This is what you will look like in the back of the PC when you follow ORION.

untitled20.png

BigBrown3605

T Long story short I'm now 2 weeks into full time package car driving and I'm struggling bad. 70 stops is taking me 10-11 hrs a day. I have zero road knowledge because I never really thought I needed it. Always used a gps or like map quest. My business stops are somewhat easy cause they are all close to each other. when I get to my resis stops is when I start to struggle. I never know witch way to go. I follow trace by the way. Whats going to happen when I swing drive and I don't know the area at all? I mean my training route i didn't know either but i have been out there for going on 3 weeks now. I thought about just giving up and disqualifying myself but why be a quitter? IDK its just so hard and I have no idea what I'm doing. Having zero road knowledge scares me to. I did not go into this thinking it was going to be a cake walk. I knew it was going to be hard. I knew I was going to want to quit. I suck with the DIAD to.

1926747_818408478188280_7871540879565604450_n.jpg

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If your a :censored2: your GPS might take somebody a half hour. 5 min tops to figure it out if you remotely aware of where your at. And not all resies are in a development. Depends on where your at really, in the city, suburbs, town or country. If I have a misload somewhere and I don't know where its at, ill punch it in on GPS and just let it take me there as I will hear it through my Bluetooth headphones anyway.
Dude...he said he has 70 stops total and it's the resis that are killing him. Unless those stops are country shag, he's losing time on the input. That's less than 7 stops per hour. And his problems begin after he does the easier businesses.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I’m new, I have 180 stops in an area I’ve never been; wtf is up?!
. Here is what's up. From my brother from another motha

Box Ox

Print out a route manifest and have a driver that knows the area mark the beginning and end of neighborhoods and commercial areas. And ask for recommendations regarding what order to run them in.

Hardest part is figuring out WTF ORION is trying to have you do.

Re-Raise

Your route must cover a smaller area. Some routes have more pkgs, pickups or cover more miles.

These other factors all add into a route's dispatch. You can't just compare stops.

My center has routes that cover 40 miles and some that run 250 miles