new here, seasonal driver questions

caveman84

don't buy non of that b**hit about people getting full time job after three month, they tell you those tales when u are in the cornerstone class to keep u there, truth is it all depends on the location u work at. welcome to the union where it doesn't matter how hard u work or dedicated u are, we all are equal, the only thing that makes the difference is SENIORITY. if apply as part time supervisor that is different story.

Ya know caveman, you're right...seniority is king at UPS. If one wants to be in a situation that hard work and dedication is the main factor then work at a smaller non-union business. However be prepared for the time that your hard work and dedication is passed by for a really good brown nose job, or a relative, or a friend of the boss regardless of capability.
Before seniority became a factor in the contracts with the IBT & UPS, routes were assigned daily by the center manager team based on whatever criteria the chose that day. They didn't have to explain why they took you off a cake run to put you on the worst area in the center and let me run the cake route. When you get to the point that you can no longer produce the same numbers as you did 20 years ago you will appreciate seniority.

stringerman85

Have you even talked to the Union yet?
After three consecutive seasonal package car runs, you are automatically seniority. The only reason it wouldn't happen is if there is something in your unions supplemental contract. This keeps from UPS holding back drivers just for the seasonal runs, then pink slipping them.
Make sure your union is on the ball with this and talk to your business agent.

Then again, you have to remember the 5-1 rule, but it sounds like you are already in the union part-time so it doesn't make sense.

I don't know what to believe or think, If this is the case I wonder if it's too late to do anything now.....

Hockey28

I was just hired as a seasonal casual driver. Went to school in the beginning of Sept. finished class in a week and havent worked a day since. Now they have me doing preload. Seems as though everyone in my class was very mislead as only two of the 12 are actually working every week.

There have been a lot of excuses as to why we arent working, but we never seem to get a straight answer. Sometimes its we just dont have the work, other times its we need you but the other center is laying people off so we cant work casuals. Its al a bunch of bs, and im glad im planned for this.

As for the helpers this season, I worked as a helper 2 years ago and made 13.xx and hour, and then the following year and made 14.xx an hour. Now this year they are saying its going to be under 10? I feel bad for anyone who takes that job, its demanding, and I wouldnt say its the hardest thing I have ever done but they work your ass off esp if your good. And under 10 bucks an hour is a joke to do that job.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
My building hired 4 drivers last year from the outside. I was one of them. Drove as a casual for 2 years prior. But.... I also worked inside previously for 5 years, then left. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. I did work my ass off on the road tho, and my supe knew it.

over10.5

Apply to be a part time employee.Get in line to be a driver, wait it out. Quit trying to cut in line of a ups employee who is busting their butt for that position.

McGee

see now thats my situation, i would just like to get my foot in the door ( its pretty crummy here in MI though)....UPS seems to be just as busy if not even busier especially since dhl is going down the tubes.

newguy1

Apply to be a part time employee.Get in line to be a driver, wait it out. Quit trying to cut in line of a ups employee who is busting their butt for that position.

if its my only option i will try to get in part time and wait it out like many of you if not most of you.....i am in a tight situation money wise so if i can stay on as a driver it would be a blessing.....

someone told me that whatever i do dont go into part time, just to wait it out and keep calling and calling after the season....that if i go into part time it'll take 3-4 years to become a driver because my name will be on the bottom of the looooong list....in my situation i dont know if i can wait that long.....have a baby on the way.....

we will see what happens, first we'll see how the season does for me, i did a ride along last week and it was a great day, got to see what you guys do 1st hand and i love it! p

friends of mine talk s#@t that a package car driver job is easy, i never thought so, i know its hard work, they think its just 'sign here please....'
they think they have it hard because they are roofers and carpenter.....well i did that before as well and i know both take lots out of you but not to say any of the jobs are breezes.....

NewGuy1,if you really want to drive all you need is that ambition, let me put my self as an example, I;m full on Mexican, I came the States in 1984 no english, no family, just me and my brother, he joined the Navy, for him that was the way to thank this country for all the opportunities it has offered to us, me I decided to follow the Browns to deliver packages to citizens of this country, so overall, dont stop for anything, just keep going.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

^^

If you REALLY want to drive for UPS, this is how you do it.

If you want to play the lottery, roll the dice and try to get the easy way into money, by all means try to get in as seasonal and kept after peak.

I personally find that annoying, because there are part-time employees busting their ass for years being passed up occasionally by new-hire seasonal drivers. But that's the way it is!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't you just hate drivers that are hired off the street, don't make their way up through the preload and put their time in? Oh, wait, that was me, hired off the street in 1989 and 11 months later was full time.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I was hired last year for a seasonal Feeder driver position and drove about 7 days and on Dec 26th......Now they want me back this season....I do not know if I am going to go, maybe go Driver helper.