New lady UPSer

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Okay.. so even if I looked like or even was a meth head why be a dick about it? Someone trying to better themselves and work is wonderful regardless. You made a judgment on a heavily filtered picture. I assumed attacking people wasn't tolerated here but I guess not.

Unfortunately, some people get away with more than others.

Pay no attention to him.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Okay.. so even if I looked like or even was a meth head why be a dick about it? Someone trying to better themselves and work is wonderful regardless. You made a judgment on a heavily filtered picture. I assumed attacking people wasn't tolerated here but I guess not.
Click on his name and when this pops up, click on ignore. Then you won't have to see his posts.
image.png

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hello, you are welcome here.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Surprised you think ups is easier then amazon. Amazon has some really great jobs and benefits. I do know that picking orders sucks but if you stick it out you can transfer to a better job.

Hi there! I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now as I was entertaining UPS and FedEx as potential job options. I was previously at Amazon and it, to me, was exhausting (12hr days) and the people made my experience even worse. Today was my first day at UPS and while it was of course physically demanding, I had a much better time. Listening to music really helped.
..the dudes Im training with were completely immature and had our supervisor explaining the hours for over an hour...asking if they could be late...etc etc...(like why are you worried about being late on your first day?!)..but other than that everyone was nice. A female sup came in and basically gave me a pep talk which I didn't really need but it was nice to have someone motivate me to do great there.
But I do have a question. It was time to go on the floor and they split the group up..some went to the finger, some to another spot I can't recall the name of and then the rest in small sort. The female sup called small sort the "primadonna" area and said she hated it. Well that's where I ended up and initially I was putting small parcels and envelopes into bags, putting the sticks on..you know then they took me up to this area where I literally threw boxes for two hours for the sorters to sort. It was kinda hectic for a while but very doable. So my question is, how do they put folks where they put them? Can they look at you and make an assessment or do they put you everywhere until they see you work well somewhere? I'm not a small woman by anymeans. 5'10, 180..so I was surprised I guess when I was put up there. Sorry so long winded, and thanks for any reply!
They put people where they are needed until they can find a good fit for you. Some guys get moved a lot because they can work anywhere and be productive. Hang in there and just don't quit. At least until you see your first pay check. Loose a lot of employees after seeing their first pay check and how hard they had to work for so little bit of money. Does your building have a bonus for new hires?

*Jersey*

Surprised you think ups is easier then amazon. Amazon has some really great jobs and benefits. I do know that picking orders sucks but if you stick it out you can transfer to a better job.
Yeah the benefits are great and there's no waiting period but you realize why they did that very quickly. People were falling or cutting themselves all the time. The long hours literally made me feel like I was dying. Barely slept due to the wacky schedule..by the time I got home at seven or eight am I could only sleep for a bit before doing it all over. I wouldn't have minded it if the shifts were more like UPS shifts, but that's just not the way it is.

*Jersey*

They put people where they are needed until they can find a good fit for you. Some guys get moved a lot because they can work anywhere and be productive. Hang in there and just don't quit. At least until you see your first pay check. Loose a lot of employees after seeing their first pay check and how hard they had to work for so little bit of money. Does your building have a bonus for new hires?
I don't think so, we weren't informed. I won't be quitting though, my goal is to go back to college in Jan and get my RN license and I need that Earn and Learn money.

*Jersey*

Five months there felt like an eternity. If I had to do it again I'd definitely go PT but then the benefits aren't the same so meh

Five months there felt like an eternity. If I had to do it again I'd definitely go PT but then the benefits aren't the same so meh
Part time at ups worked out better than commuting for my full time job after they took out benefits. Small sort can wreck your elbows, though. Try to lift heavier (6lbs or more) with 2 hands. It's doable if you're quick. And welcome to BC.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Yeah the benefits are great and there's no waiting period but you realize why they did that very quickly. People were falling or cutting themselves all the time. The long hours literally made me feel like I was dying. Barely slept due to the wacky schedule..by the time I got home at seven or eight am I could only sleep for a bit before doing it all over. I wouldn't have minded it if the shifts were more like UPS shifts, but that's just not the way it is.

Welcome aboard and good luck out there. You will do just fine we haze the new people, you seem like you can handle it so you will be fine! So coming from Amazon must be a culture shock.What did you do there and what's it really like working there. I assume you were in some type of distribution center right? Did they pay decently and how are the benefits?

*Jersey*

Welcome aboard and good luck out there. You will do just fine we haze the new people, you seem like you can handle it so you will be fine! So coming from Amazon must be a culture shock.What did you do there and what's it really like working there. I assume you were in some type of distribution center right? Did they pay decently and how are the benefits?

I was making 12.75$ there, the benefits were good. I only really used the dental which is provided by Delta. The main insurance is Premera Blue Cross. And it was expensive. There were no other perks really other than that.

I was a stower, so I just put stuff away all night. I never got to pick or pack, and thank God I didn't have to make boxes. It became a bit boring because every time I wanted to learn something else no one really had the time to train. So they keep you wherever.

The robots were pretty interesting to work with, as they brought pods/shelves around. The novelty wore off quickly however.

Management wise, you will interact with a supervisor or "problem solver" for most of the shift, the manager is always floating around and new half the time so I never really got to know them, unless they want to come over and tell you you're not making rate. Sups were somewhat clique-y and laughed and chatted amongst themselves.

Overall if you want to make decent cash and go to the doctor immediately its a good job. The tuition program there begins after a year. I don't recall the specifics.
The long hours are "balanced" by the length of the work week so four days on one week, the next three. I guess they do that so your body can catch up but it never really did for me.

*Jersey*

I was making 12.75$ there, the benefits were good. I only really used the dental which is provided by Delta. The main insurance is Premera Blue Cross. And it was expensive. There were no other perks really other than that.

I was a stower, so I just put stuff away all night. I never got to pick or pack, and thank God I didn't have to make boxes. It became a bit boring because every time I wanted to learn something else no one really had the time to train. So they keep you wherever.

The robots were pretty interesting to work with, as they brought pods/shelves around. The novelty wore off quickly however.

Management wise, you will interact with a supervisor or "problem solver" for most of the shift, the manager is always floating around and new half the time so I never really got to know them, unless they want to come over and tell you you're not making rate. Sups were somewhat clique-y and laughed and chatted amongst themselves.

Overall if you want to make decent cash and go to the doctor immediately its a good job. The tuition program there begins after a year. I don't recall the specifics.
The long hours are "balanced" by the length of the work week so four days on one week, the next three. I guess they do that so your body can catch up but it never really did for me.
Though I've only been there one day, UPS was already way easier to deal with. People were more willing to chat while getting their work done, and if not I could listen to my tunes which made time go by very fast.
The pay cut sucks but the benefit is that my hub is ten minutes from my house so very little travel time.
The facility is dark and nowhere near amazon bright ass orange and smiles but I feel more comfortable here by far then over there.
Thanks for the welcome!

*Jersey*

Part time at ups worked out better than commuting for my full time job after they took out benefits. Small sort can wreck your elbows, though. Try to lift heavier (6lbs or more) with 2 hands. It's doable if you're quick. And welcome to BC.
Thanks for the tip!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Welcome to BC! If you get to work with a good crew at your center, that will make this job a lot more tolerable. It can be a monotonous job, but if you're a good worker, there's usually enough going on to keep you entertained.
Don't mind the knuckleheads on here. Some folks like to try to stir things up at someone else's expense. A sense of humor will be of great value on the job and on here. Good luck on your first week.

*Jersey*

Welcome to BC! If you get to work with a good crew at your center, that will make this job a lot more tolerable. It can be a monotonous job, but if you're a good worker, there's usually enough going on to keep you entertained.
Don't mind the knuckleheads on here. Some folks like to try to stir things up at someone else's expense. A sense of humor will be of great value on the job and on here. Good luck on your first week.
Thanks very much!!