New P.M.'s

moreluck

golden ticket member
What's the new "notifications" category? Is it replacing pm's ? What prompted this change? Enquiring people want to know.
The older I get, the curiouser I get.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, the Private Messaging System is still in place. The Visitor's Message is a new feature that came along with the last software upgrade that Cheryl made. The "Visitor Message" gets posted on your User Page, the notification menu is so you can approve of it before it is publicly posted. There are several new features, along with Albums. I am currently upgrading my albums, its a work in progress.

local804

But wouldnt the visitors page be the same thing as posting on the forums(approved) or private messages(not approved)?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
But wouldnt the visitors page be the same thing as posting on the forums(approved) or private messages(not approved)?

The Visitor Messages only show up on the Member's User page, not the open Forums. The comments are public, so anybody can read them. It would be wise to watch what is posted in them. Originally, we thought they were private, like the Private Messaging System, but they are not. There is the option to edit them yourselves, and I have noticed a few deleted. I think the PM feature is still a better option to contact individual members about things.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So I receive one of these messages and I've responded.....how do I delete it? I've hit the delete msg. and the 'go' and it indicates I didn't select a valid msg.

I always try to keep msg. boxes at 0. I don't know how to delete this one.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Moreluck,
Just click on "Edit" under the message. It will let you delete it yourself. This Visitor's Message system is new to all of us, I usually just have to click around on stuff and figure it out myself.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I finally got rid of one msg. , but when I went back to do the other one, the 'edit' option wasn't there.

over9five

Staff member
OK, thanks Upstate, I received that. Now I know what you're talking about, but I guess I don't understand the use.
If someone sends you this, AND you approve it....then it just stays there on your profile?? Why would we want to get a PM that isn't private?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, thanks Upstate, I received that. Now I know what you're talking about, but I guess I don't understand the use.
If someone sends you this, AND you approve it....then it just stays there on your profile?? Why would we want to get a PM that isn't private?

I have received 4, all from the same member, and deleted them all without reading them. I don't care for them for the reasons you stated above.