New vs Old drivers

MrFeeder

Just a bit irritated with an older driver that I had a conversation with last night. Another Feeder driver saw me sitting on my tractor and immediately approaches saying "Hey you look so young, how old are you?" I told him my age and it went to the point where I told him how long I've been with the company etc... all of a sudden he started going off saying, "I broke my back for over a decade in package before I was able to get into Feeders! You younger guys need to break your backs and throw out your knees and pay your dues before you should even be able to get in Feeder!" He started going off.

Long story short, I said "You older guys had a 50lb limit back then and had much less stop counts than what it is currently now. These days it's 150lb furniture going up a second floor without elevator " and he walks away speechless. Our center is known for a heavy industrial center. I used to go out with 300+ packages and come back with 500+ with pick ups everyday and thats a package car. Not a bulk truck. I hate how I was approached with such arrogance during my down time with this old whining driver. I understand you might have a 25,30,40 year patch on your shoulder and I respect your seniority but best believe I will cuss you out without witness if you approach me with arrogance thinking you're the shiet.

hehe xd

i thought most old drivers got lucky and were able to secure a spot within a year or 2 of working there? my driver got his position within 1.5 years and he's been there for 30 years

Shiftless

How old are you? LOL !

Who cares! Just treat him with the respect he has earned. Plenty of bone heads in this company young and old!

By the way, I went into Feeder at 23 years of age! Just for Shift's & Giggle's my soon to be Feeder Manager pulled me into the office when I finished my ride to certify me and said " I don't want you here! You are gonna be a pain in my ash, all you younger guys and especially you at your age" He went on and on how he was gonna "watch me and send me packing". Dude was a total dip shift. Best part was that he was fired about 6 weeks later for altering time cards. Thanks Karma!

MrFeeder

Who cares, I'd laugh all the way to the bank
The guards at the shack commented how I smile everyday I go through the security and said "You're such a happy guy" And I said yes I am, thank you. But in my mind I was like who wouldn't be happy getting these fat checks at such a young age? Lol

rod

Retired 22 years
Both young and old have their share of "p". On one hand maybe (and I mean maybe) the work is physically harder now but us older employees also had a lot of mental stress to go with the job. We actually had to find stops and not rely on some smart phone giving us turn by turn directions. We also had to hope we were getting all the pkgs for a stop and didn't have a DIAD telling us how many packages there were. And we had to figure out in our head (imagine that-IN OUR HEAD) what our next stop was going to be and the one after that and so on. We did all this with trucks that didn't have power steering, powers brakes and we actually had to shift gears. Give a new guy now days an old non powered P-800 and a clipboard with paper delivery records and send him out in the country on a rural route without any names on the mailboxes and no cell phone in a pouring rain and we would see just how tough they think they have it now.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just a bit irritated with an older driver that I had a conversation with last night. Another Feeder driver saw me sitting on my tractor and immediately approaches saying "Hey you look so young, how old are you?" I told him my age and it went to the point where I told him how long I've been with the company etc... all of a sudden he started going off saying, "I broke my back for over a decade in package before I was able to get into Feeders! You younger guys need to break your backs and throw out your knees and pay your dues before you should even be able to get in Feeder!" He started going off.

Long story short, I said "You older guys had a 50lb limit back then and had much less stop counts than what it is currently now. These days it's 150lb furniture going up a second floor without elevator " and he walks away speechless. Our center is known for a heavy industrial center. I used to go out with 300+ packages and come back with 500+ with pick ups everyday and thats a package car. Not a bulk truck. I hate how I was approached with such arrogance during my down time with this old whining driver. I understand you might have a 25,30,40 year patch on your shoulder and I respect your seniority but best believe I will cuss you out without witness if you approach me with arrogance thinking you're the shiet.
Attack! Call him Gramps, Pops, Geezer, etc. When he goes off about breaking his back, etc, tell him "sucks to be you old timer" and laugh in his face.

jaker

trolling

So how long was you a package driver , because that would clear some things up

Cementups

Box Monkey
And back in the day there was a long wait for package car AND feeder drivers. In my building we can't get guys to go from inside to driving. So much so that we have been hiring feeder drivers off the street. So now a days you don't HAVE to "pay your dues."

I personally think it's better if you have done other more physical jobs within UPS so you can appreciate truly what an opportunity it is to be able to be a feeder driver. It does irritate me a little that younger drivers give me crap about coming out to feeders and bumping them down a spot in seniority. They don't think it's "fair". But to oppose that thought, how is it "fair" that some 21 year old kid gets hired, puts in his 30 days and then signs the feeder intent list and is making $40k+ (1st year at 40 hours/week) without putting in a real effort in the company. But in the end, we all use the opportunities that are given to us.

MrFeeder

And back in the day there was a long wait for package car AND feeder drivers. In my building we can't get guys to go from inside to driving. So much so that we have been hiring feeder drivers off the street. So now a days you don't HAVE to "pay your dues."

I personally think it's better if you have done other more physical jobs within UPS so you can appreciate truly what an opportunity it is to be able to be a feeder driver. It does irritate me a little that younger drivers give me crap about coming out to feeders and bumping them down a spot in seniority. They don't think it's "fair". But to oppose that thought, how is it "fair" that some 21 year old kid gets hired, puts in his 30 days and then signs the feeder intent list and is making $40k+ (1st year at 40 hours/week) without putting in a real effort in the company. But in the end, we all use the opportunities that are given to us.
Trust me, Ive paid my dues unloading 53s and delivering.

Future

Victory Ride
Should have seen the look on my driver group's faces when they all found out I'm 24
IMG_5262.JPG