New vs Old drivers

rod

Retired 22 years
People love to talk about the good old days at UPS. That's one part I don't miss. You would get back from vacation and it would take the whole next week to get all the screw-ups straightened out.

I always thought it was funny when customers said that your replacement delivered them 2 hours earlier than you or 2 hours later. It was hard to figure out how some of those guys ran your route.

I always thought it was funny when customers said that your replacement delivered them 2 hours earlier than you or 2 hours later. It was hard to figure out how some of those guys ran your route.
Then you get 10 driver follow ups when you come back from vacation.

Yeah... Bob did a great job getting done 15 minutes earlier than me every day. This 2000 in claims don't mean anything

rod

Retired 22 years
Then you get 10 driver follow ups when you come back from vacation.

Yeah... Bob did a great job getting done 15 minutes earlier than me every day. This 2000 in claims don't mean anything

I was always great to hear when you got back from vacation "Bob did a great job on your route--he was done by 5 every day". Nothing was ever mentioned about all the send agains, driver follow-ups, speeding complaints and rudeness the customers endured. The more you would try to slow Bob down the more shortcuts he took to get done early. The first 2 or 3 days after getting back always consisted of putting out the fires caused by Bob..

I was always great to hear when you got back from vacation "Bob did a great job on your route--he was done by 5 every day". Nothing was ever mentioned about all the send agains, driver follow-ups, speeding complaints and rudeness the customers endured. The more you would try to slow Bob down the more shortcuts he took to get done early. The first 2 or 3 days after getting back always consisted of putting out the fires caused by Bob..
Oh i know. I've been in my route a long time and my customers get ticked when I'm not there.

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh i know. I've been in my route a long time and my customers get ticked when I'm not there.

I'm not saying there wasn't any "normal" vacation drivers. I had good ones too. One in particular, when asked where I was, like to tell my customers that I was in jail for molesting a farmers sheep. Sadly I think some actually believed him.

I'm not saying there wasn't any "normal" vacation drivers. I had good ones too. One in particular, when asked where I was, like to tell my customers that I was in jail for molesting a farmers sheep. Sadly I think some actually believed him.
The one cover driver says that crap all of the time. I'm always marching in a gay parade or in jail...

twoweeled

Just a bit irritated with an older driver that I had a conversation with last night. Another Feeder driver saw me sitting on my tractor and immediately approaches saying "Hey you look so young, how old are you?" I told him my age and it went to the point where I told him how long I've been with the company etc... all of a sudden he started going off saying, "I broke my back for over a decade in package before I was able to get into Feeders! You younger guys need to break your backs and throw out your knees and pay your dues before you should even be able to get in Feeder!" He started going off.

Long story short, I said "You older guys had a 50lb limit back then and had much less stop counts than what it is currently now. These days it's 150lb furniture going up a second floor without elevator " and he walks away speechless. Our center is known for a heavy industrial center. I used to go out with 300+ packages and come back with 500+ with pick ups everyday and thats a package car. Not a bulk truck. I hate how I was approached with such arrogance during my down time with this old whining driver. I understand you might have a 25,30,40 year patch on your shoulder and I respect your seniority but best believe I will cuss you out without witness if you approach me with arrogance thinking you're the shiet.
LOL!! Buddy buddy buddy. You had some drivers named, Dick in package, right? Well, we have some feeder drivers named, Dick in feeder too. In fact, we have quite a few feeder drivers just like this guy, named Dick. That's just the way it is.
photo_a.jpg

Savvy412

Both young and old have their share of "p". On one hand maybe (and I mean maybe) the work is physically harder now but us older employees also had a lot of mental stress to go with the job. We actually had to find stops and not rely on some smart phone giving us turn by turn directions. We also had to hope we were getting all the pkgs for a stop and didn't have a DIAD telling us how many packages there were. And we had to figure out in our head (imagine that-IN OUR HEAD) what our next stop was going to be and the one after that and so on. We did all this with trucks that didn't have power steering, powers brakes and we actually had to shift gears. Give a new guy now days an old non powered P-800 and a clipboard with paper delivery records and send him out in the country on a rural route without any names on the mailboxes and no cell phone in a pouring rain and we would see just how tough they think they have it now.
Ya, I agree . But like you said, give an old guy 250 stops . And 13 overweights 120-150lbs.. EVERYDAY. and we'll see how long he lasts ..

One day during peak my diad died and cell phone. Manual truck. On a route I wasn't too familiar with . I did it, finished ... sucked but , we would adapt easier then they could . I'll take 75-100 stops on a "clipboard" any day

LeadBelly

Banned
Just a bit irritated with an older driver that I had a conversation with last night. Another Feeder driver saw me sitting on my tractor and immediately approaches saying "Hey you look so young, how old are you?" I told him my age and it went to the point where I told him how long I've been with the company etc... all of a sudden he started going off saying, "I broke my back for over a decade in package before I was able to get into Feeders! You younger guys need to break your backs and throw out your knees and pay your dues before you should even be able to get in Feeder!" He started going off.

Long story short, I said "You older guys had a 50lb limit back then and had much less stop counts than what it is currently now. These days it's 150lb furniture going up a second floor without elevator " and he walks away speechless. Our center is known for a heavy industrial center. I used to go out with 300+ packages and come back with 500+ with pick ups everyday and thats a package car. Not a bulk truck. I hate how I was approached with such arrogance during my down time with this old whining driver. I understand you might have a 25,30,40 year patch on your shoulder and I respect your seniority but best believe I will cuss you out without witness if you approach me with arrogance thinking you're the shiet.
I hit you with the disagree just to complete the rainbow. You have truly accomplished a great feet in brown cafe history. Congratulations, I've seen this done only a few times.