New vs Old drivers

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
IMG_1846.GIF

toxic88

It took me about 23 years just to get into feeders. That's just how it is around here. So many employees trying to get in. I hate hearing when it only took someone 6 months to get into feeders but that's just how it is in certain parts of the country. It is what it is I guess.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Both young and old have their share of "p". On one hand maybe (and I mean maybe) the work is physically harder now but us older employees also had a lot of mental stress to go with the job. We actually had to find stops and not rely on some smart phone giving us turn by turn directions. We also had to hope we were getting all the pkgs for a stop and didn't have a DIAD telling us how many packages there were. And we had to figure out in our head (imagine that-IN OUR HEAD) what our next stop was going to be and the one after that and so on. We did all this with trucks that didn't have power steering, powers brakes and we actually had to shift gears. Give a new guy now days an old non powered P-800 and a clipboard with paper delivery records and send him out in the country on a rural route without any names on the mailboxes and no cell phone in a pouring rain and we would see just how tough they think they have it now.
Dont forget the 2 foot step.....shot all our knees. And the pen that froze. And the wet paper, and God forbid a breakdown in bfe with no phone , and no diad to msg. and had to walk a mile into the woods with loose dogs. Carrying thousands of dollars..etc

john chesney

Just a bit irritated with an older driver that I had a conversation with last night. Another Feeder driver saw me sitting on my tractor and immediately approaches saying "Hey you look so young, how old are you?" I told him my age and it went to the point where I told him how long I've been with the company etc... all of a sudden he started going off saying, "I broke my back for over a decade in package before I was able to get into Feeders! You younger guys need to break your backs and throw out your knees and pay your dues before you should even be able to get in Feeder!" He started going off.

Long story short, I said "You older guys had a 50lb limit back then and had much less stop counts than what it is currently now. These days it's 150lb furniture going up a second floor without elevator " and he walks away speechless. Our center is known for a heavy industrial center. I used to go out with 300+ packages and come back with 500+ with pick ups everyday and thats a package car. Not a bulk truck. I hate how I was approached with such arrogance during my down time with this old whining driver. I understand you might have a 25,30,40 year patch on your shoulder and I respect your seniority but best believe I will cuss you out without witness if you approach me with arrogance thinking you're the shiet.
I totally agree with him.Glad he had the balls to tell you. Everyone of us thinks the same thing

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You have to really stop and think. Why are 24 yr olds driving semi? Why are outsiders getting jobs we used to wait years for an opportunity. You are not big n bad and just that good, although you may be, thats not why.
It is because the insiders have seen while it pays good it comes with a cost. Guys and gals waited yrs to drive. By the time their time came from pt to ft, they had other jobs, families, their own businesses.
And they noticed the hours, the stress, the screw the family time and they say no.
That is why you get the job. Kudos. Hope it works.

barnyard

KTM rider
I've met a couple of younger guys in feeders. I tell them to pay your house off early and save for a lavish retirement. Take your fam on nice vacations too.

I am envious of young guys that get into feeders. They will probably be on the extra board forever, so there is that.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You have to really stop and think. Why are 24 yr olds driving semi? Why are outsiders getting jobs we used to wait years for an opportunity. You are not big n bad and just that good, although you may be, thats not why.
It is because the insiders have seen while it pays good it comes with a cost. Guys and gals waited yrs to drive. By the time their time came from pt to ft, they had other jobs, families, their own businesses.
And they noticed the hours, the stress, the screw the family time and they say no.
That is why you get the job. Kudos. Hope it works.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Trust me, Ive paid my dues unloading 53s and delivering.

Just curious and not that it matters but how long have you paid said dues? I was on preload for 2.5 years, drove for a year, went on strike and got sent back inside for a year, went back out driving for the next 19+ years. 24 years of "paying my dues" before I went to feeders. Honestly, I could have gone out long before (tried once after 3 years of package but got wrongfully charged with an accident so I couldn't leave) but waited until my seniority gave me a nice advantage.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Just curious and not that it matters but how long have you paid said dues? I was on preload for 2.5 years, drove for a year, went on strike and got sent back inside for a year, went back out driving for the next 19+ years. 24 years of "paying my dues" before I went to feeders. Honestly, I could have gone out long before (tried once after 3 years of package but got wrongfully charged with an accident so I couldn't leave) but waited until my seniority gave me a nice advantage.
Had to do 7.5 years on preload I went on strike also. While it was fun then, now have family, hoping it doesn't happen again.