New vs Old drivers

rod

Retired 22 years
Can't remember how many times I'd stop the rural carrier and ask where's rr2 bx 28 or whatever

Most of the time he'd say give it to me you don't wanna go out there

I took care of them at Xmas time

I had one small town Post Master who looked forward to my visit all most every day (especially when I started that route). He took great pride in knowing exactly where, what color, how long a driveway. how many kids they had, where they worked in town and what they drove. It was always about a half hour visit in the post office with him but when you left you had gained all the knowledge you needed for that day. I even went to his retirement party and was sad to see him go. I knew more than his replacement did so I quit stopping in there.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can't remember how many times I'd stop the rural carrier and ask where's rr2 bx 28 or whatever

Most of the time he'd say give it to me you don't wanna go out there

I took care of them at Xmas time

I didn't do it very often but I have let a mail carrier take a small package when he offered a few times. I also used to exchange pkges with the FedEx guy on occasion. Usually he would take one from me because as he would say "he had nothing better to do and need to kill some time'.

rod

Retired 22 years
You get our where the billy goats :censored2: the hoot owls

A card file was your most prized possession

And you took it with you when you went on vacation if you knew a runner-gunner was going to be on your route. The only trouble with that was when you got back you had a butt load of supposedly can't locates waiting for you. I got so that if I was around during a vacation I would swing into the center on Thursday night and clean out the "can't locate" bin and put good directions on them. Then when Mr. "burn up your route" came in on Friday morning he had direction on all the stuff he had tried to sluff off on me.

rod

Retired 22 years
So when I do the route tomorrow, I'm screwed?

With me you wouldn't be IF you had proved you could run a route like a normal human (safely and with all your breaks taken) and not burn the hell out of it. You burn me - you get no help.