New vs Old drivers

Washington Huskies football players now have telematics. Gonna be able to see if an injury is unavoidable now.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Can't remember how many times I'd stop the rural carrier and ask where's rr2 bx 28 or whatever

Most of the time he'd say give it to me you don't wanna go out there

I took care of them at Xmas time

One carrier bummed smokes from me and took a particularly bad stop from me any time I had it.

Another, I pulled out of a snow bank and would save me 30 miles every time I had medicine way out at the end of both our routes.

Win-win.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I had one small town Post Master who looked forward to my visit all most every day (especially when I started that route). He took great pride in knowing exactly where, what color, how long a driveway. how many kids they had, where they worked in town and what they drove. It was always about a half hour visit in the post office with him but when you left you had gained all the knowledge you needed for that day. I even went to his retirement party and was sad to see him go. I knew more than his replacement did so I quit stopping in there.

We had a new postmaster on a route I covered that later was mine. He was a real hard-ass, and wouldn't help us at all.

Turns out the postmaster in that town always got PO box 1. After a few of his packages got sent back, he learned the error of his ways, and became very helpful (even though the regular driver and I both knew exactly where he lived).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Not really there's no easier money in pkg than riding around out in the country

Prove your not a dip:censored2: I'll help you all I can

Otherwise your on your own

I had one really good cover driver that would some times call me and stop by my house (if I was home) on his way out so I could help him with stuff he didn't know.

I had zero problem with that. Made my next week that much easier.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We had a new postmaster on a route I covered that later was mine. He was a real hard-ass, and wouldn't help us at all.

Turns out the postmaster in that town always got PO box 1. After a few of his packages got sent back, he learned the error of his ways, and became very helpful (even though the regular driver and I both knew exactly where he lived).

I had no problem RTSing stuff if you wanna be a dick

rod

Retired 22 years
I had one really good cover driver that would some times call me and stop by my house (if I was home) on his way out so I could help him with stuff he didn't know.

I had zero problem with that. Made my next week that much easier.

I always told the good cover drivers to call me if they really need help with something.

IMG_0482.JPG
For about the last third of my career I had a cell phone. Otherwise they would call my house in the morning if they had a question.

MethodsMan

You have to remember that in the late '70's and early '80's there were a lot of areas growing rapidly.

I got hired off the street at an 18 trip center that grew in about three years to almost 30 trips.

So?

We've hired over 100 drivers in the past three years in my building. Doesn't make a difference. Wait time is still wait time to go driving. Is it fair that most these guy spent way less time than me in the hub, working little hours for peanuts? No. But, my father always told me life isn't fair.

Its not how you got there. Its the fact that you're there.

badpal

And you took it with you when you went on vacation if you knew a runner-gunner was going to be on your route. The only trouble with that was when you got back you had a butt load of supposedly can't locates waiting for you. I got so that if I was around during a vacation I would swing into the center on Thursday night and clean out the "can't locate" bin and put good directions on them. Then when Mr. "burn up your route" came in on Friday morning he had direction on all the stuff he had tried to sluff off on me.
People love to talk about the good old days at UPS. That's one part I don't miss. You would get back from vacation and it would take the whole next week to get all the screw-ups straightened out.