New Year, Same Story, Same Lie

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have 2 salesman to cover our whole center. I see the Coke, Pepsi, Bud, Miller etc. salesman on my area 2 or 3 times a week. I'm the only sales rep we have and my vocabulary consists of hi, thank you, bye, hot out, cold out and the roads are fine. Volume is there. We apparently don't want it that bad.

Hung it up 3 yrs ago this past January..Remember Roadway very well and yes with from what I heard years ago..give them a teaser rate, then when service fails they for the most part returned to UPS..Our population has grown over the last 30 years so volume will creep up for just about everyone with the internet now in the picture. How may employees back in 81 compared to today? how many Ups planes back in 81?? Blue Label back then...So volume goes up and more employees are needed but the question is?? Who will deliver on their promises???

All I am saying is that REA laughed at us and we eventually put them out of business...do not dismiss FEDEX ground as a threat the way Rea dismissed UPS as a threat!

clueless

UPS is pushing residential customers and contracts away. They want business stops. How many packages have they pushed off onto the Postal Service?

As for the competition, my mother's company went Fed Ex because their prices were "soo good". 2 months into the contract, they were looking for ways to get out of the deal. They wanted to back to brown.

FWIW--the vast majority of my recent orders have come via USPS as UPS Basic. Something seems to have changed somewhere along the line since just last year getting a UPS delivery via USPS was a rarity. Now it's the norm.

clueless

It's called Smart Post.

Isn't SmartPost the FedEx version of UPS Basic? (remember, I'm 'clueless') :confused: It seems that the USPS delivering the last mile is being used now more than ever for UPS packages. I have never received a SmartPost package, but I am now getting tons of UPS Basic deliveries by the postman. Happened again today. UPS label--USPS delivered the package--right along with the phone and heat bills. I can only imagine this must be making money for UPS (and the USPS, but you wouldn't now it from the latter's earnings reports--or lack thereof--so maybe USPS' losses are UPS' gain).

We have 2 salesman to cover our whole center. I see the Coke, Pepsi, Bud, Miller etc. salesman on my area 2 or 3 times a week. I'm the only sales rep we have and my vocabulary consists of hi, thank you, bye, hot out, cold out and the roads are fine. Volume is there. We apparently don't want it that bad.
All those beer sales reps and it sells itself.

clueless

Not sure if this is true but somewhere I read that 80% of USPS revenue goes to salaries and benefits.

From the financial statements for the USPS--total compensation & benefits as a % of revenues:

FY2008 81%
FY2009 83%
FY2010 90%

Gee, I wonder why they're losing money....

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't care how an accountant manipulates the paperwork. Accountants can make it look like Exxon is losing money.

If UPS is losing money, they need to change the management.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You're kidding right? Go to the statement of operations (aka income statement or profit and loss statement) and that line you see that says 'net loss' instead of 'net income' means they're losing money.
Here's a better one for you: If UPS is losing money, it might have something to do with that dollar they are tripping over.

Nimnim

The Nim
From the financial statements for the USPS--total compensation & benefits as a % of revenues:

FY2008 81%
FY2009 83%
FY2010 90%

Gee, I wonder why they're losing money....

I don't care how an accountant manipulates the paperwork. Accountants can make it look like Exxon is losing money.

If UPS is losing money, they need to change the management.

Read it again, especially the bold part.

clueless

Thanks for clarifying---for the record: United Parcel Service (UPS) is MAKING money--the line on UPS' statement of operations always says 'net income'--it's the United States Postal Service (USPS) that has the 'net loss' and is LOSING money.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Thanks for clarifying---for the record: United Parcel Service (UPS) is MAKING money--the line on UPS' statement of operations always says 'net income'--it's the United States Postal Service (USPS) that has the 'net loss' and is LOSING money.

Sorry, my bad. My brain isn't functioning well today. Not sure what my excuse is other days, but today, I have the Blue Light Blues.:sick:

Again, sorry for being snappy. I just couldn't believe that dollar they trip over had finally caught up with them!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sorry, my bad. My brain isn't functioning well today. Not sure what my excuse is other days, but today, I have the Blue Light Blues.:sick:

Again, sorry for being snappy. I just couldn't believe that dollar they trip over had finally caught up with them!!!

Sorry to change subjects but is it me or are there more and more bikini shots showing up in peoples avatars.....???? menotyou, do you have an explanation, or should I pm integrity and have him do an "official" integrity report...I guess I shouldnt complain...its better than seeing hoax in a speedo on his avatar....haha

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We also only made about 5 billion in profits last year, so as you can see we are in big trouble.

The big thing in my building has been to pust the sorph up again. Now telling most drivers we need to add another stop per hour to our 10 hour days.

Out with a sup. last week and he was telling me to walk across the grass, nothing about staying on walk paths there. Looks like they are going to start tossing safety out the window again all in the name of us going like bats out of hell.

Its the "new" way ups is doing business...instead of fixing the problem and getting back to customer service and winning new accounts they would rather run the drivers into the ground..because as you all know, the hourly at ups is why fedex is getting bigger. Instead of following drivers around or spending money on trying to fire drivers maybe on sups should be out following the fedex trucks and winning business...oh wait, that might mean a few extra routes would have to be put in....oops, cant have that.