no overtime 4 u

tim100

how would you handle management giving the same drivers overtime daily while other drivers (me) getting just 8 hours? has not bothered me in the past, but with times the way they are its getting rediculous trying to support my family on 40-43 hours a week, tried the union route but our leaders I think are in on it, very frusterating when youre not on the "in" list... any suggestions would be helpful, anyone know the amnesty # thanks

how would you handle management giving the same drivers overtime daily while other drivers (me) getting just 8 hours? has not bothered me in the past, but with times the way they are its getting rediculous trying to support my family on 40-43 hours a week, tried the union route but our leaders I think are in on it, very frusterating when youre not on the "in" list... any suggestions would be helpful, anyone know the amnesty # thanks
Are you familiar with the seniority system we use at UPS? If anyone with less seniority than you is getting overtime, you should be able to file and get things changed. If they are all higher than you, life just sucks.
What did the union tell you?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Are you a bid route driver?
Have you filed 9.5 grievances?
The contract calls for a 8 hour guarantee, the union can force this issue, but we are not guaranteed OT.

Maybe get with a financial advisor and priortize your spending situation. We all should budget living off of 40 hours and put away the OT when we do get it. IMHO

over9five

Staff member
Would seniority prevail in this instance? If my route has OT, and a senior guys route doesn't, should he be able to take work from my bid job? I don't think so.....

But there are always people looking to lose work. Can't you grab 10 h/cs from someone who doesn't want them? There will be trouble however if you pull them under 8!

brownrod

Can't you go help another driver when you are done with your route?

whenever I'm done in about 8 hours I'm forced to help other drivers who will be out 10-12 hours. It's usually easy money.

tim100

I have 21 full time years and 27 yrs with company, apparently seniority is b/s at our building... management is tight with certain drivers and save and direct work regardless of seniority, our own steward steals other peoples work on a daily basis, and management lets it happen.... thanks for the advice 705... I have started that exact process, but am in a pickle right now with several costly situations, and ups being my only source of income it does not look good for now

UPSGUY72

Your making almost $30 hr double what most of the people in the U.S. are making??? I undestand that unforeseen situations arise that is why finacial advisor say you should have atleast 3 months worth of pay in savings.

Anyways your are only guaranteed 40 hrs not overtime you the only time that you could complain is if you where dispacted with more than 8 hrs and they sent another driver to take stops away from you. Bids are here see if you can bid a route that has more hours?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP did not come here looking for financial advice. Have you gone to your dispatch sup and advised that person that you would like some OT if it is available? Do you offer to help, if needed, after you have finished your area? Are there any late bulk pickups that could be added to your area to ensure that you get OT on a daily basis? Have they been pulling work off of your area and giving that work to a lower seniority driver? I personally do not like OT (1.25 hrs last check) and prefer to get done and go home but each of us is different.

If none of these suggestions work for you than you may want to bid off of that area and on to an area that does have OT.

I have 21 full time years and 27 yrs with company, apparently seniority is b/s at our building... management is tight with certain drivers and save and direct work regardless of seniority, our own steward steals other peoples work on a daily basis, and management lets it happen.... thanks for the advice 705... I have started that exact process, but am in a pickle right now with several costly situations, and ups being my only source of income it does not look good for now
If your steward is indeed in cahoots with management on this, go over his head directly to the union business agent.
Be careful for what you ask for, you may end up with more OT than you can handle. Good Luck to you.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The only way seniority would have any affect here is if its extra work, or if its work coming off your original bid area. Upstate is correct in his aproach(Damn, I can't believe I keep doing that!!)

barnyard

KTM rider
Be careful what you wish for. Once they get used to giving you 50 hours of work a week, it will be pretty darn hard to get an 8-hour day.

UPSGUY72

Long Island NY- 30 is fair but far from a lot.

Your tell me you could go out and find a job making more than thirty dollars and hour without any problem? Why don't you do a search for median income and see where $30 hr ($60,000) a year falls. You would be surprised.

local804

Your tell me you could go out and find a job making more than thirty dollars and hour without any problem? Why don't you do a search for median income and see where $30 hr ($60,000) a year falls. You would be surprised.

You asked a question and I gave an answer. Now you are taking my post and putting it out of context.2011 I hope to land a job with my police department.
With a 5 year base salary at 97k that should help out with $13,000 taxes and $2400 mortgages. I did not ask to do a median search, I was just answering your question.