Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TooTechie, Dec 3, 2014.

1. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

As I am no longer in an Orion center I'm just wondering if the Orion centers have been told to turn it off yet? Are you still running it?

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

It's still in the board but no one says anything. No Orion report or telematics report.

Smooth sailing here for the next 3 weeks.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. light_is_on

light_is_on New Member

Same at my center, no reports so no one is using it.
  4. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

center manager gave a PCM about how great it is and we should be trying to use it so I stopped using it.

Asked my on road how my Orion numbers were he said "I don't know. We haven't printed that report in a week."
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

I'm in an 800 and they shuttle work out to me as it doesn't all fit. Looked at my Orion and it had me doing stops that were in the shuttle while doing my airs. I notified my sup and he said who cares.
  6. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I don't know why such a nonsense software had to be named Orion. I like that constellation, I like the Metallica song, no one takes it seriously and the immortal hunters name becomes a meaningless burden on an already chaotic puzzle.
    I can always find Orion in the winter sky during break. Just cause UPS is over 100, doesn't mean they could pretend to be all astrological and astronomic with their delivery software.
    I may be over-exaggerating but I never hear that particular system enforced or recommended. So call it Hermes, or Archangel, or any other name for messenger or deliver from mythology...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. arice11

arice11 Active Member

nothing, just tired...want to stare at the night sky and find Orion, close my eyes and imagine an immortal hunter, his three star belt shinning even through city lights

they should have just called their delivery software Shrek instead...its all I'm saying
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

I wish I could smoke weed sometimes.....
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  11. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Because UPS loves to use acronyms.

On Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation
  12. BrownChoice

BrownChoice Active Member

Except there is no navigation. And it certainly is NOT optimized... There must be something wrong when stupid drivers beat the miles..... Or wait, i mean fixing failures here at UPS like us, Drivers, always tend to do.
  13. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

You can tell UPS came up with "Orion" before figuring out what words to line up.
  14. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

No, it is not optimized. It is almost a complete failure. But UPS will not get rid of it since they spent around $1B on it.

There were plans, maybe still are plans, for navigation. Package cars were/are supposed to have GPS monitors in them to direct you to the next stop.

Have not heard if they scrapped this idea yet. So right now it is ORI.

No Optimized and no Navigation.
  15. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

If they really wanted to help they should install mapquest on our diad for those pesky misloads that the last major tech upgrade (PAS) was supposed to eliminate.
  16. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

"Lucifer" would be a better name for it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

If orion is so great why in the hell don't we use it during peak? This is the time it should help us the most. With some routes going out with more than twice the normal amount of stops orion should be have our day mapped out for us. Instead I have to look through my diad and determine the best way to run the route.
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

UPS will be certain to put out a press release telling investors that ORION will be disabled for peak so packages have a better chance of getting delivered. Won't they?
  19. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

I really want to try what your smoking
  20. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

So far. The only Orion I have seen. Was shot into space this morning.