OMS messages

UPSmeoff

I haven't gotten the usual messages on my DIAD lately.............you know the ones that ask if you had any late air, or if you have a call tag, or when you will be back at the building.
I asked about this and was told that UPS is charged 25 cents for every message sent and received.
This makes me think that cell phone usage will be up. I personally do not use my cell phone for work, but i know a lot of drivers do.
What i want to know is who is collecting the 25 cents, and is UPS just banking on us to use cell phones.

We were informed in our center this week that all OMS messages are to be limited to:

Missing or late air
Stops and ETA
Emergencies

I don't know who will be collecting the $0.25. I'm sure there's something I don't understand, but an even better question is what carrier is UPS using that they pay that much per text? My personal cell phone plan has 200 text messages for $5.00. Now granted I am no mathematician, but I think that is a little cheaper.

outamyway

It's cost cutting.

The .25 cents will go toward saving someones job.

I have heard from a few people that .25 cents per message is accurate. Think about that. For one center, 45 messages and 45 replies for the "who has late air? Address please" message. That comes to about $5800 a year in savings. For one center. It's a wonder they didn't think of this sooner. All those messages are annoying anyways.

But they definitely need a new carrier.

Last edited:

Griff

Forget writing off your cell phone, just refuse to use it for UPS business. It's just like anything else at UPS, if you display that you're a willing victim -- expect to be victimized every day.

Griff, you are always the victim....If I don't call my sup on his cell phone, how will I know who's buyng the beer tonight? I used to call the center 800# but you know those rural routes in montana dont have a payphone on every corner. That's not something I want to ODS.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Guess they haven't told them about this in my center yet. I got all the regular messages plus a few.

I have refused to give my sup and the center my cell phone number several times. The advantage is when they need something fast, they call the ones that do use their cell phones. There are only two pay phones in my town and none out on my rural routes so they know it will be a while before I return a call.

We had one driver served with an intent to fire last week for using his cell phone while driving. The very next day one of the sups called him on his phone and wanted to know why he didn't answer when he called.:whiteflag:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont mind using my cellphone for work as long as I feel like my management team is reasonable and makes a sincere effort to be responsive to my needs and concerns. They have my # and I told them that they can use it in an urgent situation. It is easier and faster than text messaging via OMS, and there have been numerous occasions when a quick phone call has made things go a lot smoother and easier for all concerned.

F

Flooded

It is easier for me to just call on my cell if a problem arises than to try to type what you want to say. Becuase soemitmes my ltteres get msesed up!!

UPSmeoff

UPS needs to invest in a fast, cheap effective way of communicating with their drivers......PERIOD.
Not relying on personal cell phones.
In my center the mgmt all have a UPS paid for work phones......you know.....those Motorola walkie talkie things. Are you serious? And i'm expected to use my phone.
But i digress....what do i know, i'm just a driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our center we actually have our own FM radio frequency for our ODS messages so, except for the intial set up expense, there is no charge for messages. Response time is much quicker with this new system. Prior to this, when we had the DIAD holder/charger, we were charged per message and were asked to keep non-essential messages to a minimum and they tried to do the same.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Griff, you are always the victim....If I don't call my sup on his cell phone, how will I know who's buyng the beer tonight? I used to call the center 800# but you know those rural routes in montana dont have a payphone on every corner. That's not something I want to ODS.

Sounds like a personal call.

babboo25

Banned
Our center just received the new upgrade to the ODS system which allows our center manager to track our progress and location throughout the day. We have all seen the computer screen in the office that shows a little UPS truck showing our exact location, total # of stops off and # left, Total # of pickups completed. We have already had a couple of drivers called into the office about time taken between stops. The only good thing about this is it takes care of any messages and also helps in dispatching on call airs to the right driver. It really hasnt affected my day at all, but I'm sure the drivers who run their miles up have stopped doing that.

code5

I absolutely hate messages sent from mgmt through the DIAD. They are too one sided. The most effective manager is one that values feedback, positive or negative.

Some things have to be done through the DIAD and that is understood, but it cannot replace verbal, face to face communication.

I like to communicate things through the diad like jokes or funny comments or things I see throughout the day. A way of increasing Moral, mine anyway. It works for me.

outamyway

I absolutely hate messages sent from mgmt through the DIAD. They are too one sided. The most effective manager is one that values feedback, positive or negative.

Some things have to be done through the DIAD and that is understood, but it cannot replace verbal, face to face communication.

I like to communicate things through the diad like jokes or funny comments or things I see throughout the day. A way of increasing Moral, mine anyway. It works for me.

What is this M O R A L E you speak of?

I am a UPSzombot. I do not know M O R A L E.

:wink2: