ORION 1.1 - New upgrade

JL 0513

Yeah..when it's 95 degrees at 9:54am and your first stop is looking for two QVC ground packages in the 7400 section that is buried in a load that is inaccessible, it's really a bit disturbing.

Sometimes you have to admit it makes sense if it's a chacer stop on a larger area route where it's the only other stop that is around there. Maybe it saves a couple of miles. Although a good driver would probably look down through their EDD if they had air out in the middle of nowhere to see if there was another stop nearby and they had time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sometimes you have to admit it makes sense if it's a chacer stop on a larger area route where it's the only other stop that is around there. Maybe it saves a couple of miles. Although a good driver would probably look down through their EDD if they had air out in the middle of nowhere to see if there was another stop nearby and they had time.
In my experience, schools and restaurants aside, it's usually a junk stop thrown in for "first top compliance" and unnecessary. Plus buried neck-deep in the load.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There's a country route I cover that gets like 150+ pkgs a day (many bags full). I always wonder about all the work we're losing.

I sometimes wonder also, but without Surepost, we would not be seeing those 150+ packages anyway. They would be going to FedEx and their Smartpost or directly through the post office.

At least now, those Surepost packages are keeping PT and feeder jobs, everything it takes to get those packages from the shipper to the local post office.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I asked my sup when we getting the Great Orion, he answered that he didn't think our building would. Due to the fact that our building is basically an urban area with one way streets, etc.. However, we did receive the upgrade where p/u's were added to EDD, fortunately I've had 10 p/u's added to my scheduled p/u's.

upswife75

The goal is to make as many pick ups as possible while in the area delivering.

Going to piss a lot of customer off.

Especially when some of those customers are businesses like where I work, shipping companies. If my driver picked me up at 2pm, like Orion tells him to, when we don't close until 5, we will lose business to stores that don't have a pickup time until later in the day. Thankfully, our driver doesn't pick up when Orion tells him to, and instead picks up at his normal time, 4:45.

10 point

Ain't that the truth but they have about 7 or 8 of those monitors in front of the office and maybe one or two are ever used...usually the same few drivers use them right after they beeline into the bldg and head for the stupid WOR ....lol
No doubt the same ones that checked the daily recap for "standards" every morning....
with or without being on bonus.
Sheep.

gear-guy

Yes we got it but the only problem that I have is that as a rural route driver it want's to pull me 15 miles instead of making the pu when I am by the stop. The other problem is that two of the PU's quit us 15 years ago. Tried to tell management but they won't listen so now orion has my route running back to these pick ups adding miles. Oh well I'm still 100% every day.

govols019

You smell that?
My route, pre-Orion, was around 120 stops with 160-165 miles... Now, it's 110 stops max with 190-195 miles...Same exact area.

ORION rocks!!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I sometimes wonder also, but without Surepost, we would not be seeing those 150+ packages anyway. They would be going to FedEx and their Smartpost or directly through the post office.

At least now, those Surepost packages are keeping PT and feeder jobs, everything it takes to get those packages from the shipper to the local post office.
That's true assuming FedEx could even handle all that smartpost volume.

I have a bigger issue with Access Points. I can accept that if not for surepost, we would just lose that business to fedex smartpost. But with access points, we're indirecting 100+ stops everyday to UPS stores here. We'd have at least one more full time driver and a lot fewer pissed off customers if we didn't indirect to access points after NI1 without customer opt in. And we haven't even rolled the service out to all of our areas yet.

I don't think FedEx is only making one attempt and then saying come pick it up yourself quite yet. Maybe they'll come up with their own version soon.... wonder what that would be called.

wayfair

swollen member
That's true assuming FedEx could even handle all that smartpost volume.

I have a bigger issue with Access Points. I can accept that if not for surepost, we would just lose that business to fedex smartpost. But with access points, we're indirecting 100+ stops everyday to UPS stores here. We'd have at least one more full time driver and a lot fewer :censored2: off customers if we didn't indirect to access points after NI1 without customer opt in. And we haven't even rolled the service out to all of our areas yet.

I don't think FedEx is only making one attempt and then saying come pick it up yourself quite yet. Maybe they'll come up with their own version soon.... wonder what that would be called.
Just be home when we deliver, problem solved... or send it to where you are going to be.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Just be home when we deliver, problem solved... or send it to where you are going to be.
Well just as an example, when you worked part time at UPS, could you have your stuff delivered to work?

It's besides the point, people pay to have it delivered to their residence. UPS chooses to take it wherever they damn well please. It's a joke.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
Well just as an example, when you worked part time at UPS, could you have your stuff delivered to work?

It's besides the point, people pay to have it delivered to their residence. UPS chooses to take it wherever they damn well please. It's a joke.

I worked preload and would get in contact with the guy who does my route, save him a stop... still do it as a driver to the driver who does my area. so yes, I have my stuff delivered to work!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I worked preload and would get in contact with the guy who does my route, save him a stop... still do it as a driver to the driver who does my area. so yes, I have my stuff delivered to work!
Ya well a part timer figuring out which route his stuff was on, finding it in a blown out truck, and then finding someone to give him a property pass to get out with it would be more hassle than it's worth here. Not to mention you're ignoring the day, twilight, and midnight sort workers. But it's besides the point anyways.

Customers pay for delivery to their home, we make one attempt in the middle of the day and say screw you come pick it up yourself tomorrow. That's just flat out bad service.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
In my experience, schools and restaurants aside, it's usually a junk stop thrown in for "first top compliance" and unnecessary. Plus buried neck-deep in the load.
Yesterday my first Orion stop was a noon commit air 25 miles north of my satellite point. The next two stops were 1030 commits within 3 miles of the satellite center. Makes no sense!