ORION 1.1 - New upgrade

Browntown2014

Orion is a joke for 2 reasons 1) it wants you to deliver packages from the 6000 shelf in between Next day airs before 1030. 2) it doesn't account for the myriad of OCA's and breaks you have to make to get bulk stops off at businesses that close before 5.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah.......that can be done if you can get all the drivers that want to stand there and map out their entire route (OFF THE CLOCK!) out of the way.
Ain't that the truth but they have about 7 or 8 of those monitors in front of the office and maybe one or two are ever used...usually the same few drivers use them right after they beeline into the bldg and head for the stupid WOR ....lol

Overpaid Union Thug

Ain't that the truth but they have about 7 or 8 of those monitors in front of the office and maybe one or two are ever used...usually the same few drivers use them right after they beeline into the bldg and head for the stupid WOR ....lol
We now have some drivers wanting printouts of the maps on those computers. Flipping idiots. Now we're all going to be expected to run ORION at 90% or better.

JL 0513

The only reason I take a look at the Orion screen is to look at the stop list and get a glimpse of what I have for the day. Basically what you used to do if you could get EDD earlier as you might flip through EDD. I never look at the map. Pointless IMO.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Our BA said they can't discipline for not meeting a percentage metric. They tried. Every warning letter and write got tossed at local hearings.
Which set past practice. Now they just ask us to use it as a tool and make our judgements.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think it's funny when you point the stupid things this system had you do and the supervisor looks at you and know that effed up but have to company speak some reason for it

S

selfcancelsignal

I tend to look through my PC in the morning checking out bulk & how far into the loop my resi section goes. The only time I look at the screen is when I get in each evening to see if I beat the miles running it my way from RDO. Supe said he doesn't care about trace as long as I beat the miles, so stuff it up your wazzoo, Oh Ryan.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The only reason I take a look at the Orion screen is to look at the stop list and get a glimpse of what I have for the day. Basically what you used to do if you could get EDD earlier as you might flip through EDD. I never look at the map. Pointless IMO.
I cant read a map,lol

moldsporh

I don't know why people make a huge deal about it. It's pretty simple.

Run Orion as its in your diad. If mgmt has issues ask them how you should run your route.

If they say you need to be 80 or 85%, you ask them. ..how do I know I'm 85%? I don't see anything in the diad showing my current percentage.

Then run it again stop for stop, if they mention it again, stating you're taking too long or whatever... call the 1800 number.

They will fix it or tell you not to use it. You people need to put this back on them, especially if they are asking you to do deliver by a known failure of a method

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Orion is a joke for 2 reasons 1) it wants you to deliver packages from the 6000 shelf in between Next day airs before 1030. 2) it doesn't account for the myriad of OCA's and breaks you have to make to get bulk stops off at businesses that close before 5.
Yeah..when it's 95 degrees at 9:54am and your first stop is looking for two QVC ground packages in the 7400 section that is buried in a load that is inaccessible, it's really a bit disturbing.

BUCN85

Don't know if this has been touched on or not.

Does anybody's Orion factor is businesses? It seems pointless that it doesn't since many times you have to break trace to cherry pick these. For ex. Post office closes at 430. Orion has me getting there at 545. Doesn't really fly

ArcherUTR

Don't know if this has been touched on or not.

Does anybody's Orion factor is businesses? It seems pointless that it doesn't since many times you have to break trace to cherry pick these. For ex. Post office closes at 430. Orion has me getting there at 545. Doesn't really fly
You could have your dispatch supervisor enter in a closing time for that post office. But no, UPS does not use the massively collected data and apply closing times to all businesses.

The more information that Orion has the longer that it takes to come up with an optimum solution. So if Orion has not had the time to settle before EDD has been released, its output is garbage. So openly UPS tells you that Orion has all of these awesome capabilities, but secretly they don't like to use them too much.

ArcherUTR

But with sure post, why in the hell wouldn't you go straight to the post office after leaving the building?

But it has been a while since I have had a post office on a route.