Orion and an 8 hour request

undies

I have an 8 hour request and running Orion at 100%. I'm going to need help.

Has anyone else had this problem?

undies

It's my first time actually attempting to use Orion, it's slowing me down. That's the problem. Probably not the best day to give it a whirl on this route...

AKCoverMan

Who cares. If you are approved and work over 8 (it was 8.5 here), file for penalty pay.
True enough but the penalty pay usually doesn't make up for missing whatever plans you have that evening which is he reason for the 8hr request in the first place.

I mean with all the 10+ hr days we put in its not too much to ask that two days a month I can plan to be somewhere by 1800.

My last center manager.. one day I had and 8 hour set up and I get a dispatch that's easily a 10 hour day. Went to center manager and said I'll need help today for my 8. He said "I don't care. File your grievance you'll get paid." Was so pissed that I turned in two 8s the next month on days I didn't need just to rack up grievances on this guy.

Thank god he left us and is running a Freight terminal now. Present center manager works to get me to what I am trying to get to for my 8s. I realize it's a pain sometimes because I am a cover and they might not know what route I am on till an hour before PCM. But he makes the effort. "I don't care." What a piece of work he was.

undies

My request was simply because it was the last day of the month. I ended up dropping 30 stops on a cover driver and still went over my 8 hour....time for a grievance.

rpoz11

True enough but the penalty pay usually doesn't make up for missing whatever plans you have that evening which is he reason for the 8hr request in the first place.

I mean with all the 10+ hr days we put in its not too much to ask that two days a month I can plan to be somewhere by 1800.

My last center manager.. one day I had and 8 hour set up and I get a dispatch that's easily a 10 hour day. Went to center manager and said I'll need help today for my 8. He said "I don't care. File your grievance you'll get paid."

This happens here as well.
Most often, they play stupid and ask for proof of the 8 hour request.
"We have no knowledge of any 8-hour request" they say.
Route is loaded as a 10+ hour day.

Our stewards do nothing about it.

rpoz11

Management here does this trick with 8 hour requests , and 9.5 requests as well :

"We will give you what WE 'think' is 8 (9.5) hours worth of work. If you go over the 8 (9.5) hours work, then we will continue to use the driver with more work"

Their numbers, their interpretation.

We need stronger language for being overworked.

I still like someone's suggestion here that all routes (globally) should be no more than 9.5 hours.
Opting out of 9.5 should be the language.

rpoz11

This is also a scenario they practice :
"Due to staffing and business demands, we will not be able to honor the 8 (9.5) hour request"

Your 8 hours is 8 hours.

Although it cramps their dispatching, even after 7 days minimum prior written notice, they attempt to dismiss these requests every time.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is also a scenario they practice :
"Due to staffing and business demands, we will not be able to honor the 8 (9.5) hour request"

Your 8 hours is 8 hours.

Although it cramps their despairing, even after 7 days minimum prior written notice, they attempt to dismiss these requests every time.

Staffing is managements problem. They will constantly try to use the excuse of not having enough people yet refuse to hire (at least until recently). Even with the current wave of new hires UPS was so understaffed it looks like this peak will be a repeat of last year.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Staffing is managements problem. They will constantly try to use the excuse of not having enough people yet refuse to hire (at least until recently). Even with the current wave of new hires UPS was so understaffed it looks like this peak will be a repeat of last year.
It will be even worse than last year.... lol

TheFigurehead

It will be even worse than last year.... lol

Yeah, its going to be something. We're what, 90 or so days out? Our hub is already fairly busy, and it's empty. Every inside person they've hired in the last three months has quit, almost immediately (I mean, they are literally hiring 60 year old retirees and frail 100lb 20 year old girls as package handlers, and then wondering why they can't hack it), along with a good number of current employees.

If they can't get people in the door for the whole package (benefits after a year, tuition reimbursement, raises, and a permanent job), I don't know how they are going to get anyone in the door to work in the hub for basically nothing. It doesn't help that our local's contract hasn't been settled yet, so new hires are still starting at $8.50/hr. No one is coming in for peak at that rate, especially without some sort of carrot to dangle in front of them. The allure of your seasonal position turning into a full time position in the hub is only appealing until you get them in the door.

But hey... if we work Black Friday, that will probably fix everything, right?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah, its going to be something. We're what, 90 or so days out? Our hub is already fairly busy, and it's empty. Every inside person they've hired in the last three months has quit, almost immediately (I mean, they are literally hiring 60 year old retirees and frail 100lb 20 year old girls as package handlers, and then wondering why they can't hack it), along with a good number of current employees.

If they can't get people in the door for the whole package (benefits after a year, tuition reimbursement, raises, and a permanent job), I don't know how they are going to get anyone in the door to work in the hub for basically nothing. It doesn't help that our local's contract hasn't been settled yet, so new hires are still starting at $8.50/hr. No one is coming in for peak at that rate, especially without some sort of carrot to dangle in front of them. The allure of your seasonal position turning into a full time position in the hub is only appealing until you get them in the door.

But hey... if we work Black Friday, that will probably fix everything, right?
Nah...my local doesn't have to work Black Friday. I'm sure they'll run a volunteer sort though..but they can't force us to work ;)

It's a joke...they parade the preload tours down our belts....out of 40 people...maybe 5 look under 30. Out of the dozens they hires this summer...most quit. One guy NC/NS yesterday...in his 3rd week....he showed up today. I don't know what my center manager said to him...but he left the office in tears..haven't seen him since. I guess he missed the memo...there's no crying at ups!