Our ORION team is so arrogant and full of themselves it's hilarious

ArcherUTR

In a neighboring center a driver was given written discipline for following ORION 100% but being well over the projected miles as he refused to back into driveways. This was settled at local level but if/when I am disciplined i want it to go to the panel

When you say 'settled' at the local level what do you mean? Are you allowed to explain the settlement?

Can we be punished for 100% compliance as long as we have no service failures?

ArcherUTR

The fact that someone would think this goal is even remotely realistic is proof of their absolute ignorance of the day-to-day reality of running a UPS route.

It is their goal though. So that under one of these upcoming contracts they will say that a package care driver is not a skilled position and undeserving of such a high salary. Anyone off the street should be able to follow ORION.

I agree that that is such a huge customer service and safety blunder.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When you say 'settled' at the local level what do you mean? Are you allowed to explain the settlement?

Can we be punished for 100% compliance as long as we have no service failures?
The discipline i am referring to was dropped after it was grieved,settled by the BA and labor manager at a local hearing. UPS can discipline any employee in the manner management seems fit,however making the discipline stick is an entirely different matter.
There is no leadership any longer from management,only threats and/or doing the best to hammer a square peg into a round hole

ArcherUTR

The discipline i am referring to was dropped after it was grieved,settled by the BA and labor manager at a local hearing. UPS can discipline any employee in the manner management seems fit,however making the discipline stick is an entirely different matter.
There is no leadership any longer from management,only threats and/or doing the best to hammer a square peg into a round hole

(If they are going to say that you are going to have 'X' number of allowed breaks of ORION trace to smooth out or fix ORION...

for my center it is your # of stops + your # of pickups multiplied by 10%...or basically 90% trace here)

Then in the morning after the PCM management needs instruct me where to make those breaks. Otherwise they will accuse me of making bad decisions and running up miles. There is also no place in the board that keeps track of your breaks or break percentage.

I don't get paid to do long division or to fix ORION.

Plus now here recently there are telling us just ignore the ORION ground work mixed in with our NDA's to make sure that we are not having any late air. There's between 2 -12 breaks just right there in your air run.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
(If they are going to say that you are going to have 'X' number of allowed breaks of ORION trace to smooth out or fix ORION...

for my center it is your # of stops + your # of pickups multiplied by 10%...or basically 90% trace here)

Then in the morning after the PCM management needs instruct me where to make those breaks. Otherwise they will accuse me of making bad decisions and running up miles. There is also no place in the board that keeps track of your breaks or break percentage.

I don't get paid to do long division or to fix ORION.

Plus now here recently there are telling us just ignore the ORION ground work mixed in with our NDA's to make sure that we are not having any late air. There's between 2 -12 breaks just right there in your air run.

In other words, you are being given the "three C's".... conflicting, confusing and contradictory instructions.

Management isn't going to get anywhere in a disciplinary hearing if they cant even decide among themselves which set of their instructions you need to be following.

There also comes a point where continually bombarding the employee with the "three C's" under threat of discipline becomes harassment and over-supervision which is specifically prohibited under Art 37 of the National Master agreement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

" our goal is so anyone can get in the truck and follow Orion with no area knowledge as efficiently as a veteran driver"

The fact that someone would think this goal is even remotely realistic is proof of their absolute ignorance of the day-to-day reality of running a UPS route.

I can usually get a Peak helper up to speed on the basics of the job by the end of the first day and have them sheeting commercial stops with multiple suite numbers by the end of the second or third day. By the end of the first week they are doing multiple left-at's and CODs.

After two weeks of riding with me I would feel confident sending them by themselves to deliver a route by themselves. Granted, it wouldn't be a full route, but the point is PAS/EDD (and now Orion) have given the company the leverage they need to make 2018 a turning point for them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can usually get a Peak helper up to speed on the basics of the job by the end of the first day and have them sheeting commercial stops with multiple suite numbers by the end of the second or third day. By the end of the first week they are doing multiple left-at's and CODs.

After two weeks of riding with me I would feel confident sending them by themselves to deliver a route by themselves. Granted, it wouldn't be a full route, but the point is PAS/EDD (and now Orion) have given the company the leverage they need to make 2018 a turning point for them.

Two weeks.

So with your 26+ years of experience as a driver, you feel you could get a replacement/ new hire at least partly up to speed in two weeks.

One of my immediate "supervisors" is a 24 year old kid whose UPS experience consists of driving a U-Haul around last peak season as a temp hire.

Please explain to me how this kid is going to train 25 replacement drivers within a matter of days in the event of a work stoppage....especially when he cant even do the job himself and when he is being forced to "train" them to follow an ORION system that directly conflicts with the PAS/EDD system it was installed over the top of.

ORION wont give the company any leverage, it will take it away. It doesn't work and forcing a replacement hire to jump thru hoops and calculate trace break percentages will only make a hard job even harder.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our district has gone back to allowing veteran drivers to train new drivers. We are hiring 8 this year and I expect to be asked to work with a couple of them.

We are talking three full years before our contract is up. Three years of tweaking and adjusting. More than enough time to give them the leverage that they need.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

So you basically think after two weeks with you, anybody can drive a route safely and by the methods while providing a high level of service? Oh ok. Are you going to teach them how to cheat like you do? I think after two weeks with you, a new driver would get out there and either get fired for dishonesty or kill someone in an accident because they're cutting corners. Although I'd give that person credit for having to spend two weeks on a car with you. You're an example of how not to be a driver. You serve your own needs first whether it's right or wrong. Just like the way you view the union and its level of compensation that you feel you only deserve but have no problem throwing the union or anyone else under the bus as long as it served your benefit.

And why would you want the company to have major leverage to pay you and others less or take a cut in benefits? Let me guess, you're retiring soon before that so you got yours and everyone should just get less. You're awesome.

ORION won't give the company leverage because the level of over 9/5 grievances have increased in every building its in. You don't think the union is tracking that and will use that to counter the whole "dumb truck driver" point you want the company to make?

I'm hoping you retire before the next contract. Guys like you are why we have give backs. But don't worry I'm sure your fellow teamsters will be there when they go to cut your pension and you're crying to them about that.