Over allowed

JustTired

free at last.......
One thing I could never figure out is.....

How can a company who seems to stay on top of everything suddenly decide 6,7,8 years after the fact that they never adjusted the numbers to reflect using the diad?

My opinion on it is that when IE became the 'darlings' of the company, someone suggested that the "bonus drivers" were making too much money and we need to get some of that money back. Changing the numbers, using the excuse that the diad had not been figured in to the allowance, was the answer.

Don't get me wrong. The diad was a good thing. But did it actually save a driver that much time? My opinion is that it saved more time for everybody behind the driver (no more paper audits, filing paper, delivery conformations, etc.) than it did the driver. Anybody ever have to punch in 40-50 pkgs by hand because they wouldn't scan?

The 'numbers' really shouldn't mean anything to the hourly, but people like to have an idea how they "stack up" in the big picture. Unfortunately, the numbers are so "out of wack" that they just tend to be a morale buster.

"LIVE BY THE NUMBERS-DIE BY THE NUMBERS"

O

omega man

Suck it up. You make 5 bucks an hour more then you did six years ago. You should expect that you would be asked to do more.

The problem is that at some point "doing more" involves working at a pace that jeopardizes an employee's safety. Most of us know that UPS' management culture has no regard for any employees well being. Their only concerns involve how they might hide their victims from O.S.H.A. The last time I looked, our contract doesn't link production increases with our raises. That would mean no raise at all, wouldn't it? Are you doing more for your company as you get pay increases? I forgot, you're management.

old levi's

blank space
One thing I could never figure out is.....

How can a company who seems to stay on top of everything suddenly decide 6,7,8 years after the fact that they never adjusted the numbers to reflect using the diad?

That lame explanation was so transparent that is was laughable. They knew that the drivers would immediately know that someone had screwed with the numbers so they had to have some type of defense ready. They should have devised a more believable lie.

And I think you're right on target about cutting the bonuses. Some punk realized: Hey with a few clicks of the keyboard we can tighten the numbers to the point that bonuses are history.

And this amounted to stealing time (a termination offense) on a scale of unimaginable proportions.

20yrdriver

As a driver who takes pride in their work, I also feel the whole time issue is a morale buster. I had 1 performance ride in 20 years and was told I had scratch methods. Come to find out we were 1 hr over that day. The sup thought we were going to be scratch. He informed me he expected me to keep the standards I showed that day prior to seeing the days report. The point is the numbers are not attainable no matter how hard you work. Do your best that day and live with it.

outta hours

What ever you are doing now I encourage you to drive the speed limit 100% of the time. If you do your numbers will go over by at least an hour. I mean on every street, highway,CR, or PR do the limit and not 1mph. over it at any time. Try it and see where your numbers go. And oh yea it is the law. And remember in rain or other bad weather reduce your speed by 30%.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Being objective does not make me stupid and does not make me a pushover. You told someone on another thread to file a grievance on a supervisor working when the poster clearly stated the reason the sup worked was because the employees were absent no call no show. Perhaps you need a lesson on objectivity or perhaps you could use a vacation?
Tie i tried being nice in telling you that we see that you have been stressed out and acting like an :censored2: for some time now. Either your getting your :censored2: chewed daily or yopu just got another promotion and your head is near exploding.

In that other thread i did tell someone to file for a sup working. Were in the contract does it say that you (sup) can work when someone calls in? The only time i will let sups working pass is when they take over a route for an injured drivewr who has gone for medical. Tie the contract is not to be used as a guidline on how to run the operations, its in stone and will not be altered to fit your needs. Hope that was objective enough for ya!

W

westsideworma

see I take issue with some of that tie

I know one route that I load was identical to what it was before PAS (completely screwed) and they still expect better numbers now that they've added more to it....I'm sorry but I just can't follow you here tie. The how can you expect better numbers from someone when you've ADDED more to his route? That sounds impossible.

Thats like deciding that a preloader that barely loaded 1200 packages in 5.5 hrs (about 220pph...not slow) should be able to do it in 4.75 hrs instead this year (over 250pph). How is that fair tie? I know for a fact that no one will do that day in and day out. Its near impossible with the way our work comes (no constant flow). That is why people lose faith in their management and the morale tanks. Impossible numbers that we know none of you could meet day in/day out yourselves. I know they come from above but you're the ones we see enforcing it.

see I take issue with some of that tie

I know one route that I load was identical to what it was before PAS (completely screwed) and they still expect better numbers now that they've added more to it....I'm sorry but I just can't follow you here tie. The how can you expect better numbers from someone when you've ADDED more to his route? That sounds impossible.

Thats like deciding that a preloader that barely loaded 1200 packages in 5.5 hrs (about 220pph...not slow) should be able to do it in 4.75 hrs instead this year (over 250pph). How is that fair tie? I know for a fact that no one will do that day in and day out. Its near impossible with the way our work comes (no constant flow). That is why people lose faith in their management and the morale tanks. Impossible numbers that we know none of you could meet day in/day out yourselves. I know they come from above but you're the ones we see enforcing it.

There is no such thing as a completely screwed route. Just a driver with a completely screwed attitude.

705red

Browncafe Steward
There is no such thing as a completely screwed route. Just a driver with a completely screwed attitude.
Obviously by that statement you probably havent driven since 1989 and thats where your name must have come from. Since edd/pas its actually hard to find a good route. Some routes git a little better but the majority of them have gotten harder and in some cases almost impossible for swing drivers to finish without help. You its bad when center manager's tell you your route is screwed but theres nothing they can do. So many of us live with it and come here and vent over it. You must be in management with that same old attitude everything is the drivers fault. All due respect i would like to be given just 1 day where the drivers would be allowed to dispatch the center and see what happens.

Obviously by that statement you probably havent driven since 1989 and thats where your name must have come from. Since edd/pas its actually hard to find a good route. Some routes git a little better but the majority of them have gotten harder and in some cases almost impossible for swing drivers to finish without help. You its bad when center manager's tell you your route is screwed but theres nothing they can do. So many of us live with it and come here and vent over it. You must be in management with that same old attitude everything is the drivers fault. All due respect i would like to be given just 1 day where the drivers would be allowed to dispatch the center and see what happens.

No, have only been driving for about 12 years. I Have covered about 110 routes. (have never seen a screwed route. Use good methods. Get your bulk off and do air with the ground) Did a new route on Tuesday (had a sup with me for about 2 hours) (broke down for about an hour) was 1.5 hours over. Thursday was .57 over. I think yesterday I will be under allowed. I usually help at least one driver everyday sometimes two. I needed help once in 1998 I had a split of 20 gateways up 3 flights of stairs. This job is all about attitude.

Overpaid Union Thug

No, have only been driving for about 12 years. I Have covered about 110 routes. (have never seen a screwed route. Use good methods. Get your bulk off and do air with the ground) Did a new route on Tuesday (had a sup with me for about 2 hours) (broke down for about an hour) was 1.5 hours over. Thursday was .57 over. I think yesterday I will be under allowed. I usually help at least one driver everyday sometimes two. I needed help once in 1998 I had a split of 20 gateways up 3 flights of stairs. This job is all about attitude.

Do you walk your stops? Take a full hour of lunch? Drive the speed limit? If you answered no to any of those questions than the job isn't all about attitude. It's about NOT following the methods. If you didn't answer no to any of those questions than maybe you owe your preloader a steak dinner. :)

tieguy

Banned
No problem.

Can I get my questions answered.

No problem you say? No oopsie? I get shot for less on this board.:laugh:

I'm not sure what question you wanted answered once I got past the 21 year pitch but I think you should be able to recieve an explanation of how the route is calculated and I don't know you therefore I can't answer to whether you're ill tempered or not.

tieguy

Banned
The problem is that at some point "doing more" involves working at a pace that jeopardizes an employee's safety.

Do you believe its possible to get more out of a driver by tightening up their dispatch? Do you believe its possible to get a driver to do more by working on their methods? Or is jeopardizing safety the only option available?

Thats all you get since you're too spineless and missing the scrotum sack required to create an ID and stand behind it my anonymouse back stabbing friend and ah have a nice day in whatever air raid shelter you hide in. roflmao

Do you walk your stops? Take a full hour of lunch? Drive the speed limit? If you answered no to any of those questions than the job isn't all about attitude. It's about NOT following the methods. If you didn't answer no to any of those questions than maybe you owe your preloader a steak dinner. :)

I walk at a brisk pace. Always take my lunch (I used to take a 1/2 hour lunch because it didn't affect my numbers or my pay) But now, i'm in a center that takes the automatic hour. I take 61 minutes, I don't give the company one minute of my time. With the turnover in the preload and the amount of routes I've done I probably owe over 800 steak dinners..lol

Overpaid Union Thug

I walk at a brisk pace. Always take my lunch (I used to take a 1/2 hour lunch because it didn't affect my numbers or my pay) But now, i'm in a center that takes the automatic hour. I take 61 minutes, I don't give the company one minute of my time. With the turnover in the preload and the amount of routes I've done I probably owe over 800 steak dinners..lol

Well good for you. The problem I have is that people like you seem to be in the minority. So either everyone else just sucks or you are actually the badass that you were hinting at being. We have plenty of drivers with good attitudes that can't come within "the numbers." Here the drivers the sups consider "studs" are the ones that run, skip lunch, and cut corners.

Well good for you. The problem I have is that people like you seem to be in the minority. So either everyone else just sucks or you are actually the badass that you were hinting at being. We have plenty of drivers with good attitudes that can't come within "the numbers." Here the drivers the sups consider "studs" are the ones that run, skip lunch, and cut corners.

The numbers depend on the route. The only way to know if they are close is to see what other drivers do on the same route.