Overgoods / Lost package help -- $250 REWARD, NO BULL

UPSSOCKS

Sorry but anyone who ships a package worth in excess of $1K and fails to properly insure it gets no sympathy from me. Consider it a lesson learned and move on.

Jimmyj this is the kind of response you get from a Teamster. Upstate has probably made a career of stealing and lying. They just don't know any better, its the way they were raised.

The cameras aren't something that could of just disappeared. Even if they are destroyed (which is unlikely) given the case they were in, they are in district overgoods somewhere. I've been in many overgoods rooms in my career and they are just very understaffed because in most cases the $100 claim is sufficient so it's not priority to process all overgoods in a timely manner. Stick with it and do not let up your cameras will turn up. If the label and the case became separated it's very possible the cameras are in the same condition as when they were shipped. Unfortunately this package had data issues during our peak season. I have a connection that may be able to help. I will email you what I find out.

UPSSOCKS

If I had to guess, I'd say the label definitely fell off and the package is at an overgoods facility. Our labels don't stick to those cases well at all. Seen them partially off all the time. I always tape the label all the way around the case for protection. Best way to label those cases is with a tag label that is attached to the handle. I hope someone in overgoods can find this guy's package. Good luck to the O.P.

I agree. The best thing the OP has going is the case the cameras were shipped in. These cameras are probably intact they just need to find there way to the OP. I think the label fell off....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree. The best thing the OP has going is the case the cameras were shipped in. These cameras are probably intact they just need to find there way to the OP. I think the label fell off....

...and had the shipper simply put a duplicate label or contact information inside the package we wouldn't be having this discussion...

TUT

The insurance is $.35/$100 after the first $100 so had the OP spent an extra $5.60 he would have been compensated for his loss. All he is entitled to now is the automatic $100.

To note: .35/100 that was around 10 years ago. It's exactly double that today with it increasing in a week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To note: .35/100 that was around 10 years ago. It's exactly double that today with it increasing in a week.

Per domestic package and international shipment*:
$0.75 for each $100.00 (or portion of $100.00) of the total value declared, with a minimum charge of $2.25

Wow--we are expensive!

jimmyjl

Jimmyj this is the kind of response you get from a Teamster. Upstate has probably made a career of stealing and lying. They just don't know any better, its the way they were raised.

The cameras aren't something that could of just disappeared. Even if they are destroyed (which is unlikely) given the case they were in, they are in district overgoods somewhere. I've been in many overgoods rooms in my career and they are just very understaffed because in most cases the $100 claim is sufficient so it's not priority to process all overgoods in a timely manner. Stick with it and do not let up your cameras will turn up. If the label and the case became separated it's very possible the cameras are in the same condition as when they were shipped. Unfortunately this package had data issues during our peak season. I have a connection that may be able to help. I will email you what I find out.

Thanks so much. I actually have an interesting update... there is a possibility that an overgoods package matching my description was shipped back to the manufacturer in Arizona. However, I purchaed this used from a person in California... is it standard procedure for UPS to ship packages back to the manufacturer even if they have no evidence it came from them? In this case, if it is my package, the manufacturer would received the return, and would have no clue what it is... I left them a message, i'll have to wait til after the holidays to hear back.

Feel free to email if you have time to discuss more, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas to you!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am sorry if I came off as a hard ass but it irritates me to no end when people don't take care of their business and then whine when things don't work out.

If your package was indeed sent back to the manufacturer you may need the serial numbers to prove ownership.

I do hope things work out for you but in hindsight an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

jimmyjl

...and had the shipper simply put a duplicate label or contact information inside the package we wouldn't be having this discussion...

Again, I'm not sure if you haven't been reading the thread, but I (the OP) am not the shipper, simply the receiver. Yes insurance should have been paid, and a duplicate label should have been put inside, but none of that happened. That's not my concern right now.

And as far as insurance, sure its not too expensive if you only ship a few high value packages per year, but when you own a business, and ship $500,000 worth of equipment a year, it adds up. That's nearly $4,000 directly out of my bank account. Neccessary, but definately a profit-maker for UPS, especially considering the horror stories I've heard about for high value claims.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you think the current insurance "scheme" is a profit maker you should google our former OPL service, which was the insurance we charged for international shipments and which the IRS ruled was illegal.

Less than 1% of the cost of goods sold for insurance is a small price to pay for piece of mind. How much of a dollar value would you place on all of the time you have spent over just this one shipment?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You would think that a UPS Store would know how to package and ship a parcel through us! How could someone at one of our own stores not put a duplicate label inside anything that they package for a customer.

DiadDude

I am sorry if I came off as a hard ass but it irritates me to no end when people don't take care of their business and then whine when things don't work out.

If your package was indeed sent back to the manufacturer you may need the serial numbers to prove ownership.

I do hope things work out for you but in hindsight an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

A request for help with a cash reward for help received hardly sounds like whining.

Repeatedly telling someone what they did wrong and why you're not willing to help them sounds much more "whiney" to me

UPSGUY72

You would think that a UPS Store would know how to package and ship a parcel through us! How could someone at one of our own stores not put a duplicate label inside anything that they package for a customer.

The UPS stores brand is owned by UPS. However each store is a franchise that is independently owned and operated that person packaging the boxes at each store isn't making much and as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you think the current insurance "scheme" is a profit maker you should google our former OPL service, which was the insurance we charged for international shipments and which the IRS ruled was illegal.

Less than 1% of the cost of goods sold for insurance is a small price to pay for piece of mind. How much of a dollar value would you place on all of the time you have spent over just this one shipment?

As I recall, UPS was eventually found to be in the right and all fines, tax withholdings, etc. were returned to UPS. UPS voluntarily dissolved the company OPL before the the final ruling from the US courts. Many companies continue similar operations in Bermuda and other off-shore operations.

And I guess you missed it but a friend of jimmy was the one that shipped the package and did not buy the insurance.

jimmyjl

Hey guys, hope everyone had a good christmas.

Still a little confused about this "return to manufacturer" thing that happend.... I purchased these thermal cameras USED through a private party in california. The returned package that went through overgoods that seemingly matches my package description was "returned to the manufacturer" in Arizona. However, the address and company it was sent to I am not familiar with. They do seem to be a distributor of the product, but this isn't the main headquarters. I am not sure where UPS got this address. I am still waiting to hear back from them, but I am just curious why UPS would ship to this particular company?

If overgoods "returns to manufacturer", do they actually have to have some evidence (Receipt in package) showing it was shipped from that particular manufacturer, or do they just look at the item for a manufacturer, and look in their system for a company that matches and ship to that company's address on file?