Peak sucks

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The rules and the expectations are different during peak season, just as they are in the NBA finals. The stakes are higher and the referees call the game differently.

No vacations, no optionals, no 8 hr requests, 9.5 language no longer applies, helpers are allowed on car. For a 3 week period our workload is essentially doubled.

I get what you are saying about giving 100% all year around, and I do the same thing. I give the company a "fair days work for a fair days pay" and perform my job "in a manner that best represents the interests of the employer" per Art 37 NMUPSA no matter what time of year it is.

During peak, however, the parameters change. A "fair days work" on my route usually means about 95 stops, which winds up taking 9.5 to 10 hours. Last week I was doing 180 stops and taking 12 hours. The pace that I am currently working at is not physically or mentally sustainable for 12 months out of the year, nor should it need to be.

When I first started, there were a lot of militant, pro-union drivers who would go ahead and skip their lunches and breaks for 2 or 3 weeks during peak. Once peak had ended, they would "get the time back" by taking an extra 5 or 10 minutes per day in January until they were "even" again. Management was aware of this and chose to look the other way. I'm not condoning the practice, but I understand the mentality behind it. Last year, I broke my toe on December 12th. Had it been any other time of year I would have sat in the office on TAW, but because it was peak I stayed on car and did the best that I could using a helper. In my opinion, that is the mentality that we should all adopt in December.

It all depends on the driver. Some in our center want 14 hours a day, others only want 8. We've had drivers back before 6pm last week, some out past 10.

I think anyone who works with a broken bone injury, esp hands or feet are asking for trouble and not being smart about their bodies (depending on the severity of course). Christmas or not.

badpal

Same here, well almost. My heaviest time is from Feb to August. Thats when everyone orders tractor and harvester parts, temperature recorders, gloves, aprons, knives, scales, forms, paper and lots of other stuff for the growing season that runs from March through late November. But this Christmas is very heavy! A driver retired early and 2 more are out, (1 had a stroke last week)
Well you might be very busy next year. The farmers in my area had a great year good yeilds and high prices i noticing here at christmas the farm wives getting more . And the john deere dealer seems happy

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Best day of peak so far home @1650.
Nice.
Things aren't going quite so smoothly west of the city though, I clocked out at 2100 and over 40 drivers in my center were still out and the other centers didn't look much better. This isn't the worst peak plan I've seen in my building, but it's top 3 for sure. I'll be gad when this week is over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last day of Peak. Will be working Code 5 and plan on taking my helper out to lunch. This Peak has been busier than last year but I have to give credit to my center team for making it as smooth as possible. 3.5 hours OT last week, mostly due to earlier start times, and have punched out at the same time as I do during the rest of the year. Weather has been a non-issue as we missed a couple of snow storms and will miss one again this weekend. Hopefully all of the air will be here on time today and it will be a smooth day.

kingOFchester

Almost Done!!

I will say that I am going to miss my helper. He was GREAT!! Friendly, could see 3 steps ahead. I spent a few days working with him on how to use the Diad. I could send him into an office building with 10 or more stops, and I could be in the truck setting up.

We would pull up to house stops and we would both get out and deliver......if he got back to the truck b4 me, he would know exactly how to start setting up a shelf....

Thanks to all the helpers for your help!@!

probellringer

also think preload did great job this yr...wrapping up lot earlier...last yr--remember leaving after 10am every day...maybe just have more sups working...jk........enjoy--lets get it done...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How did he get past the bulk head door?

Any experienced driver worth his salt has a spare bulkhead door key stashed someplace. My BH door keys tend to get "bent" and when I write it up a brand new one appears the next day and no one seems to ask where the old one went.:wink2:

BrownArmy

Our center team hammered us all week, and it paid off today...

Yellow across the board, easiest day all week, punched out at 15:30.

I worry about January though...

screamin chicken

was not bad for me this year 190-230 and done almost the whole peak by 6. today 145 ready 2 head in by 1500 and I had to meet a driver and take 30 stops off hi in a area i know nothing about. I finished it in 45 mins..... what sucks is the last 2 yrs. they have left the most senior man go home.

kingOFchester

Wow, lucky you.

Almost every driver in my center said the exact opposite. From the 27 year vet, to little old me with 3 under my belt all thought it was the worst peak yet. For me the helper made it work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm totally confused. It seems that if Corporate was calling all the shots and dictating everything and the local management were just stooges following directions that the results would be consistent across the company.
Something does not sound right .. I'm going to talk to Scott and let him know that some management at the local level are not following the directives from Corporate.

Last edited:

NHDRVR

This peak was a strange one. I had the best helper I have ever had the pleasure of working with but although I did less stops/pieces than in previous years I am absolutely exhausted.

I did 130 stops today. A lot for X-mas eve but I have Monday off and I am on vacation the week after New Years so all is good.

AND.....

We get to look forward to UPS forgetting that Christmas is going to come again next December. Yes, that's right, Our management staff has already forgotten that Christmas is every December.

What's that???.... You think I am wrong???

No, YOU are wrong..... Our center actually thinks Christmas is an anomally..... It doesn't happen every year... So in 2011, it will be a mess AGAIN....

HOORAY!!!!!!

DS

Fenderbender
Twas the night before Christmas and all through my brain,
I had to make sure I had not one send again.
I did all the resis right after my air,
and sheeted the rest as gone home,just not there.

tourists24

I'm totally confused. It seems that if Corporate was calling all the shots and dictating everything and the local management were just stooges following directions that the results would be consistent across the
Something does not sound right .. I'm going to talk to Scott and let him know that some management at the local level are not following the directives from Corporate.
Can you ask him if we can get our turkeys back next year?