Peak sucks

dgr72vette

My hands look the same--I call them "winter hands". I don't wear gloves as I have yet to find gloves that will let me use the DIAD. I will wear a hat (toque) but won't if I have to go someplace after work as I don't want to have "hat head".
Use some ingenuity, get some mechanics gloves and cut the thumb tips off. That's all you use on the diad anyway.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I like to put things in perspective. On UPS's peak day, just the extra packages are about as much as a rival's normal day. That makes UPS very big and definitely the strong one in the delivery business! :happy2:

code5

I use cloth gloves with black knobs on them to grip the packages. They are really glove liners but they work great. They are only a buck a pair and last no more than a week. I buy a bundle of 20 pair at a time. Some of the drivers even use them in the summer.

BTW, I like peak. There is more of a realistic approach of getting the job done than the whole theoretical micro management approach the rest of the year. I don't mind working the overtime before Christmas because I like the extra pay and I know the company needs it. Its the overtime non-peak that I don't like.

freeloader_30

230 stops done for Friday, which ends another week of Peak. I'am beat and my knees aren't much help either! By the way I love these gloves http://www.mechanix.com which prevent minor pinches or cuts, and allows for extra dexterity when gripping the packages with one hand and the diad on the other.

over9five

Staff member
I hate peak.This is what happens to my hands every peak.
the 3 c's cold cardboard and logistiCs

Wow, what long fingers you have. You know what they say about a guy with long fingers. Whatcha doin tonight, DS?

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My hands look the same--I call them "winter hands". I don't wear gloves as I have yet to find gloves that will let me use the DIAD. I will wear a hat (toque) but won't if I have to go someplace after work as I don't want to have "hat head".
So that's what they call those types of hats. LOL Your sups let you wear those. Around here they bitch if one wears anything but a UPS baseball call.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We have UPS toques.

Toque is a common Canadian term but less known the further from Canada. Upstate NY is practically in Canada. :wink2:

I included a picture of a typical French Canadian UPSer wearing his toque.
UPS Toque.jpg

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
BTW, I like peak. There is more of a realistic approach of getting the job done than the whole theoretical micro management approach the rest of the year. I don't mind working the overtime before Christmas because I like the extra pay and I know the company needs it. Its the overtime non-peak that I don't like.

I like sports analogies, so I view peak as being the NBA Finals of the parcel business.

Its time to shut up, nut up, and bring your "A" game to the floor. Minor injuries that would have me on the bench during the regular season will be ignored. Any issues or disagreements I might be having with management get put on the back burner until peak is over.

As far as the overtime goes....you dont play Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant for 48 minutes on a sore knee during a preseason game. You manage his minutes wisely throughout the year and keep him healthy for the playoff run. Then, when its do-or-die in the 4th quarter of the final game and the championship is on the line, you have him go all out and give 110% for the victory.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I like sports analogies, so I view peak as being the NBA Finals of the parcel business.

Its time to shut up, nut up, and bring your "A" game to the floor. Minor injuries that would have me on the bench during the regular season will be ignored. Any issues or disagreements I might be having with management get put on the back burner until peak is over.

As far as the overtime goes....you dont play Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant for 48 minutes on a sore knee during a preseason game. You manage his minutes wisely throughout the year and keep him healthy for the playoff run. Then, when its do-or-die in the 4th quarter of the final game and the championship is on the line, you have him go all out and give 110% for the victory.

I file grievances during peak.

As far as work pace, it's the same year round. I can't see working harder during peak than outside.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I file grievances during peak.

As far as work pace, it's the same year round. I can't see working harder during peak than outside.

I would say both posts speak volumes about the respective member.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pssst! Hey Sleeve. Upstate just said that you "A-game" sucks!

Nice try.

You might enjoy this one. Two of your fellow "employees" in separate package cars were both making deliveries to my condo complex at the same time. There are only 20 units in the whole complex. Can you say logistics?

Jones, as Sober said, Peak is our time to take it up a notch, set aside petty disagreements and get the job done. I put it in high gear this time of year.