Performance expectations for loading delivery trucks?

NI3

so I'll be giving loading up delivery trucks a chance.

Common sense tells me the the mortal sin is to put things on a wrong truck.
I mean, I know it ruins my day and makes me so :mad: when I call 1-800-Pick-UPS, meet up the delivery driver only to get told "well its not in the truck".

Putting things where they're supposed to go is a given, but what's the expected performance level as far as packages per minute/hour/shift whatever?

old levi's

blank space
so I'll be giving loading up delivery trucks a chance.

Common sense tells me the the mortal sin is to put things on a wrong truck.
I mean, I know it ruins my day and makes me so :mad: when I call 1-800-Pick-UPS, meet up the delivery driver only to get told "well its not in the truck".

Putting things where they're supposed to go is a given, but what's the expected performance level as far as packages per minute/hour/shift whatever?

Troll Alert / This guy is starting to sound (a lot) like Ass. Santa

nystripe96

That's really the correct answer. Your promotion is not incentive based. It's seniority based. Unless you do something extremely stupid......you will not get fired for pph or misloads.

UPSGUY72

What is this supposed to mean? I'm trying to aim for a promotion. Not stuck doing this for rest of my life.

If you want to have to kiss ass to get promoted you need to take a PT SUP job..... Other wise if you stay on the hourly side you can be the biggest friend--k U- in the building and still get you raises.... and still have the ability to bid a different position.... It's your choice.....

air_dr

It's going to always be more than what you are doing.

That may sound like a flippant answer but here's my point and it's something I didn't grasp until a good few years after I was out of school: Unlike my teachers and coaches who I truly believe basically had my best interests at heart and were on the same "side" I was on, so their efforts to "push" me were ultimately intended for my own good, in most work places, certainly UPS, that is not at all the case. The goal is to have you making money for the brown machine. They'll tell you how to work safe, then push you to go faster and faster, and if you compromise on safety to gain some speed and get hurt as a result, they'll blame you for not following the methods you were shown. Kind of like the cop who reads someone his Miranda rights, then starts asking questions and the person doesn't have the good sense to be keeping his mouth shut.

I don't think of UPS as an evil company or the supevisors as evil people. Rather each person on the totem pole is under pressure from the person above them to reach certain performance metrics, and the set up is a very impersonal one where you are numbers to people and very different from Mrs Jones who wanted to broaden NI3's horizons by sharing with you her love of chemistry or Coach Smith who wanted NI3 to suprise himself by running the mile faster than you ever thought you would be able.

As far as looking for a promotion, I don't know what you had in mind, and perhaps you don't either. In short, I think it would be fair to think of various promotions as forks in a road, and once you go down one particular fork it maybe impossible or at least very difficult to get yourself on the other fork if you later decide that is where you would really prefer to be. May I encourage you to just be content being a preloader and observe for a while - at least six months.

NI3

If you want to have to kiss ass to get promoted you need to take a PT SUP job..... Other wise if you stay on the hourly side you can be the biggest friend--k U- in the building and still get you raises.... and still have the ability to bid a different position.... It's your choice.....
Yes, they told me that I will get a $1.00 raise after three months. As far as the performance level, black shirt management guy said it affects my chance in advancement within the company.

in most work places, certainly UPS, that is not at all the case. The goal is to have you making money for the brown machine.
I'm sure it is and I can't blame them. It's a business and they don't have employees just for the sake of having them. They have to answer to their investors and they have to answer to customer needs.

That's really the correct answer. Your promotion is not incentive based. It's seniority based. Unless you do something extremely stupid......you will not get fired for pph or misloads.
Essentially you're saying 70pph @ 2% misload is just as fine as 220pph @ 0.05% misload?
Even if I don't get get fired, am I just too hopeful to assume that 220pph @ 0.05% would get me better references and advancement opportunity?

Ghost in the Darkness

Here are some tips for you. Make sure the pal matches the label. Get packages on the correct truck. Keep bulk stops and multiple piece stops together as best you can. Section load, sequence doesn't have to be perfect... just get it on the correct shelf around where its supposed to be. Put hazmat tags in the pouch. Don't load hazmats or overweights on the shelf, and hazmats especially watch the orientation arrows when loading.

washington57

So, making 70pph @ 2% misload makes you less preferable over 200pph @0.05% misload, no?

Depends on what you mean by preferable. To you, or them? Depends on what you want to do in the company-stay hourly go supervisor. But if you work at that pace you will have no future at this company.

srvhero

"leastbest"
Here are some tips for you. Make sure the pal matches the label. Get packages on the correct truck. Keep bulk stops and multiple piece stops together as best you can. Section load, sequence doesn't have to be perfect... just get it on the correct shelf around where its supposed to be. Put hazmat tags in the pouch. Don't load hazmats or overweights on the shelf, and hazmats especially watch the orientation arrows when loading.

"Section load",.. ......"doesn't have to be perfect".......I ,as a driver, would prefer YOU never giver advice to another loader on how to do the job because apparently you suck as a loader.

NI3

"Section load",.. ......"doesn't have to be perfect".......I ,as a driver, would prefer YOU never giver advice to another loader on how to do the job because apparently you suck as a loader.

So, here's the question. Does it take the same goal to satisfy the management and the drivers or do they expect things that would contradict eachother? If so, which one should I satisfy for my own best interest?

curiousbrain

So, here's the question. Does it take the same goal to satisfy the management and the drivers or do they expect things that would contradict eachother? [...]

It all depends on the people; some managers are different, some drivers are different. Based on my own brief experience with this company (1.5 years at this point), I think there is a lot of wisdom contained in air_dr's post #7.

As far as the general goals of management, though, it is to get the most work out of you as possible; so, let us suppose you do 200pph very easily, and are standing around at times with nothing to do; if it is feasible, you will quickly find yourself with 250pph, then 300pph, until they/you find your maximum. As pointed out previously, though, there is a balance between safety, speed, and load quality; and, in my experience, one or two of those three things gets sacrificed for the sake of the remaining one.

For the drivers, their interest is in having things in the proper spot with no misloads or bad PAL's; they have a hard enough time without shagging misloads around. But, again, in my experience, expectations vary: for example, somes routes in the center where I am employed are hammered front to back, floor to ceiling, without fail; the drivers do the air and then go to do one bulk stop because otherwise, they cannot move inside the truck. For the tight residential routes, however, the expectations are different.

Talk to the drivers you load for, and learn what they want; as yet another example, there are some routes where the drivers want an address loaded in the same spot, every day, regardless of what the PAL says.

[..] If so, which one should I satisfy for my own best interest?

What is your best interest, though? Is it management, corporate, driver, etc? As mentioned previously, you should concentrate on learning how to properly load several cars, and observe; also, depending on where you want to go, maybe ask some questions - try and figure out the entire process of a parcel being ordered up to it being delivered; when you account for the technology involved, it is so far beyond just picking up a package and then dropping it off, that it is almost beautiful at times.