PJM Advisory

bacha29

Ask the think tank how many coal fired energy plants in Texas were shut down by the Obama administration? If there are strains on the system it's because a major portion of the system was removed.
The states not the Obama Administration had the right to regulate utilities. When the states voted in favor of deregulated utility rates opening up the business to competition old, outdated and expensive to operate coal and some nuke plants could not compete in a deregulated environment.

It would appear that you didn't know that the industry deregulated in the majority of states years ago. Perhaps is because Kansas and Florida voted not to deregulate.

BTW.....Texas is a deregulated state.

vantexan

I never said that so called " conservatives" did not deserve benefits. What I point to is the lack of a consistent conservative stand on issues. The manner by which conservatives exempt from their wrath those programs from which they can collect benefits while the ones from which they cannot collect benefits are as you clearly pointed out are not "affordable". They seem to believe that the public doesn't see their cherry picking.

Perhaps it's one of the reasons why you don't hear much out of the so called Freedom Caucus these days. The 25% across the board cut in ALL federal programs with the funding gap dumped onto the states.....The states pushed back and the senior care community made it clear that it would quit the business in mass.
You most certainly did say that a real conservative wouldn't take those benefits. Have been saying it for years. Pretty certain in the past you said Republicans shouldn't get SS since they're so against it. Always with the extreme view.

bacha29

When ERCOT chose not to connect Texas to the national power grid....people died.
Too proud and too stubborn to connect to the national grid it cut itself off from the flow of emergency power from other states. When the polar vortex hit in 2021 the other states were powerless to help.

vantexan

The states not the Obama Administration had the right to regulate utilities. When the states voted in favor of deregulated utility rates opening up the business to competition old, outdated and expensive to operate coal and some nuke plants could not compete in a deregulated environment.

It would appear that you didn't know that the industry deregulated in the majority of states years ago. Perhaps is because Kansas and Florida voted not to deregulate.

BTW.....Texas is a deregulated state.
The Obama administration put regulations on coal fired plants that caused quite a few to shut down.

vantexan

When ERCOT chose not to connect Texas to the national power grid....people died.
Too proud and too stubborn to connect to the national grid it cut itself off from the flow of emergency power from other states. When the polar vortex hit in 2021 the other states were powerless to help.
There is no national power grid. There are several.

bacha29

You most certainly did say that a real conservative wouldn't take those benefits. Have been saying it for years. Pretty certain in the past you said Republicans shouldn't get SS since they're so against it. Always with the extreme view.
Show me where I said that. Conservatives don't like being called out over their cherry picking of federal programs.
Program A is just fine for those who are receiving benefits....a valuable national asset.
Program B on the other hand is always deemed unaffordable for those who can't collect benefits.
You even as much as said so yourself.

bacha29

The Obama administration put regulations on coal fired plants that caused quite a few to shut down.
Giving that you live and maintain residence in states that are still regulated perhaps you still don't understand.
The plants that are both clean burning and rate competitive are operating today and keeping the grid running at it's maximum capacity.
So what are you crying about?
Yes, there are concerns regarding future generation capacity but until there is a national commitment to a full scale modernization of the national power grid the generation capacity issue is a moot point.

You can't put 10 gallons of feces ( can't use the S word here) in a 5 gallon bucket.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not the way I read it.

If not for renewables there is no way the grid would have held up during this summer’s heat wave. Texas has led the way in building wind and solar farms, as well as massive battery storage system. These, combined with lower than expected natural gas prices, ensured the lights stayed on with only minor price increases.

bacha29

Not the way I read it.

If not for renewables there is no way the grid would have held up during this summer’s heat wave. Texas has led the way in building wind and solar farms, as well as massive battery storage system. These, combined with lower than expected natural gas prices, ensured the lights stayed on with only minor price increases.
What I was talking about was the polar vortex of 2021 that froze out the power generation and transmission system of a large part of Texas. Estimates of the number of people killed by the storms and power loss run from 240 to as high as 700.

Texas to it's credit is rapidly expanding renewable power generation. If it's going continue to cut itself off from the national power grid and temperatures continue to rise in that state it's going to need all the power redundancy it can find.

At the same time however go out into rural America and chances are you will have no trouble finding miles and miles of old cooperative 7200 REA lines that were erected in the late 30's and early 40's under the Rural Electrification Act. You have to wonder how much longer they're going to remain standing.

vantexan

Show me where I said that. Conservatives don't like being called out over their cherry picking of federal programs.
Program A is just fine for those who are receiving benefits....a valuable national asset.
Program B on the other hand is always deemed unaffordable for those who can't collect benefits.
You even as much as said so yourself.
LOL you say show me then turn around and try to justify it. Program A is available to everyone, not just me. Program B would be things that are created to get votes but absolutely aren't necessary. An example would be offering student debt relief to people making up to $125k, $250k for couples. You've got couples struggling to get by on one paycheck, make less than $50k on two paychecks, and you want to give student debt relief to people living in nice homes, driving nice cars, take nice vacations. Nothing but buying votes and the country can't afford it. Yet you try.

vantexan

What I was talking about was the polar vortex of 2021 that froze out the power generation and transmission system of a large part of Texas. Estimates of the number of people killed by the storms and power loss run from 240 to as high as 700.

Texas to it's credit is rapidly expanding renewable power generation. If it's going continue to cut itself off from the national power grid and temperatures continue to rise in that state it's going to need all the power redundancy it can find.

At the same time however go out into rural America and chances are you will have no trouble finding miles and miles of old cooperative 7200 REA lines that were erected in the late 30's and early 40's under the Rural Electrification Act. You have to wonder how much longer they're going to remain standing.
You're under the impression that old power lines aren't continuously inspected and replaced? My uncle retired from Florida Power. He spent his days inspecting power lines and substations.