Please dont yell at me tomorrow.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....or he can take the run, take care of "your" customers and ignore the dogs....
He is certainly free to ignore the dogs if he wants to....but they certainly wont be ignoring him. So if he isnt a dog person, he can still toss a biscuit on the ground as he is walking to or from the door without losing any time at all. It is certainly faster and more efficient to do that than it is to have to honk the horn, fill out NI1 notices, or waste time worrying about whether or not a particular dog is friendly. In 27 years I have never been bitten and neither has a relief driver on my route. You can dislike my methods but you cant beat my results.

soberups

Option C: Get as close to the house as possible and get the package as close to the front door as possible.

Option D: Bag and DR the package by the mailbox out by the road.

Option E: Put the package and stop on will call.

Or you could just walk up to the porch with the package like I do and toss a biscuit on the ground to keep the dog happy and friendly. Life doesnt always have to be complicated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am pretty sure that I could find a myriad of ways to improve your performance much the same as you could find a myriad of ways to improve my customer relation skills.

Why would you fill out a NI1 at a residential stop for a non-signature required package? Stop, drop and roll. If there is a dog present get as close as you can to the front door and get the package as close as you can to that door.

I am sure that I could knock at least an hour off of your on road time.

soberups

....I was really good at distracting the dog while making the delivery. I would only bag and leave by the mailbox as a last resort and I never put a stop on will call.

What method did you use to "distract" the dog?

My favorite "distraction" method is to use a device known as a "dog biscuit."

soberups

When I had my country runs and had a stop with a difficult dog I would pull in to their driveway, back as close as I could to the delivery point, "place" the package and leave.

When I have a stop with a "difficult" dog, I just throw a biscuit at it. Pretty soon, it stops being "difficult" and starts being "friendly". Much easier in my opinion than doing a lot of extra backing, especially at night.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I have a stop with a "difficult" dog, I just throw a biscuit at it. Pretty soon, it stops being "difficult" and starts being "friendly". Much easier in my opinion than doing a lot of extra backing, especially at night.

The key is to get done before the sun goes down. :)

You and I are not much different. We both are old school and we both take care of our customers. Where we disagree is the degree of interaction that you have with all of the animals on your delivery area. You prefer to be the Pet Whisperer while I prefer as little interaction with animals as possible (while working).

soberups

Mine would be to pretend to throw a stick and deliver the package while they were chasing it.
I would rather hand them a biscuit and deliver the package while they are happily chewing on it.

That way, they dont get pissed off at being fooled and want to take a bite out of my ass when I am still 100 feet away from the safety of the truck.

Its always better to make friends than enemies.

soberups

The key is to get done before the sun goes down. :)

You and I are not much different. We both are old school and we both take care of our customers. Where we disagree is the degree of interaction that you have with all of the animals on your delivery area. You prefer to be the Pet Whisperer while I prefer as little interaction with animals as possible (while working).

If I spend any amount of time at all playing with a dog on my route, or taking cute pictures of them in the truck, it gets deducted out of my break or lunch. I dont steal time from UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I spend any amount of time at all playing with a dog on my route, or taking cute pictures of them in the truck, it gets deducted out of my break or lunch. I dont steal time from UPS.

I never accused you of stealing anything.

Something tells me the way that you interact with the animals mirrors the way that you interact with the humans. That is not a bad thing but it does tend to get in the way of production.

That being said, I know I could knock at least a half hour to an hour, or more, off of your on road time, while staying 100% within the methods.

soberups

I never accused you of stealing anything.

Something tells me the way that you interact with the animals mirrors the way that you interact with the humans. That is not a bad thing but it does tend to get in the way of production.

You couldnt be more wrong.

When it comes to dealing with the people on my route, I am polite and cheerful but very careful to be bland and non-controversial and to keep conversation to a minimum. I am borderline phobic about winding up on YouTube looking like an ass because something I said got misunderstood or taken out of context. So I keep it short and simple; the weather, how nice the customers garden looks, or how friendly their dog is. Boring conversations tend to be short ones.

soberups

That being said, I know I could knock at least a half hour to an hour, or more, off of your on road time, while staying 100% within the methods.

So you have never met me, never seen me work, never been to my center, never run my route or even set foot in my state....but from clear across the country you can sit behind a computer and state with absolute certainty that I am taking between 30 and 60 minutes too long to do my job? You should become an ORION implementer. Or a Regional Manager.

soberups

I have a job to do and couldn"t care less whether the Millers' pit bull likes me or not.
If I am going to spend the next decade of my life walking up to the Miller's house twice a week with a package, being on friendly terms with their pit bull sorta seems like a smart career move to me.

Last edited: