Please help..freaking out..husband fired for accident

Channahon

Trick and Rod,

Just stating my opinion like anyone else that has posted on this thread. I'm not the heartless person, you may think I am. Probably more understanding and comapssionate than a lot of other UPS management. I only terminated employees after following progressive discipline, both union, and non union. And you may not believe this either, but I never took any pride in terminating an employee. Would have rather kept the employees, understanding this is how they make a living for themselves and their families.

What's with the negative rep points? I've never given any out, if I don't like what I read in a post, I just move on. Have a good day!!

tieguy

Banned
Channahon-

Have some compassion......the husband may be in a catatonic state right now.

Firing employees is all fun and games for management but can be rather upsetting if you're on the receiving end of the firing from a job that has become your life, your being, your soul and your family's future.

Husband may not be as computer literate as the wife also.

Just once try walking in someone else's shoes.

Go ahead and negative rep me.....I don't care.

Its a fair question to ask and it has nothing to do with compassion. The advice being given so far is nothing unusual. Thats because no one is really asking more then the normal generic questions. You throw compassion into this issue but yet true compassion and help requires an honest appraisal of all the facts. Does this drivers BA accept the point made that the husband is the victim of an unaccountable out of control supervisor or does he dig deeper to make sure there are no surprises when he walks into that panel hearing? Same thing here. If you don't dig deep into all the details then you can't help this driver other then perhaps supplying a little compassion. You have been here a long time on and off and we have seen these types of threads too many times. You are not helping anyone if you throw on the evil empire blinders. You have to dig deep and ask some hard questions and hope to get honest answers before you can truly help anyone.

You're not going to get those answers from the wife no disrespect intended.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Slightly OT here;

Interestingly, a supervisor told me this past week that a new bi-annual bid was preferred by managers over a annual bid primarily because more workers could be disciplined and eventually terminated before they could "dissapear" to a new center/building/hub. (I would not be surprised if this supervisor did not read this post!)

This type of thinking and attitude is what's wrong with UPS management side because many of these people they're targeting go about their job just fine and they're harrassed for reasons entirely different than job performance, but rather personal vendettas , not "playing ball", upholding the contract where management fails to abide, etc etc

Surely this offers little help to the thread's composer, but let's call a spade a spade; management cares very little for the "human" side, the worker giving an honest days work. it's all about saving money, pushing #'s and squeezing performance. The only instances I can recall where personal influence comes into play is when a bargaining unit employee will bend over for them completely...

10 drivers canned for 10 new hires is roughly $140/hr or $200/hr OT savings on the 'ole payroll....

Bottom line to the author: managers do not care about your husband personally; the least excuse to fire someone they will, so don't take it personally. IF he's a good worker with excellent attendence and a clean driving record/ 2 urine samples, he'll likely be working again, and soon.

tieguy

Banned
Slightly OT here;

Interestingly, a supervisor told me this past week that a new bi-annual bid was preferred by managers over a annual bid primarily because more workers could be disciplined and eventually terminated before they could "dissapear" to a new center/building/hub. (I would not be surprised if this supervisor did not read this post!)

This type of thinking and attitude is what's wrong with UPS management side because many of these people they're targeting go about their job just fine and they're harrassed for reasons entirely different than job performance, but rather personal vendettas , not "playing ball", upholding the contract where management fails to abide, etc etc

Surely this offers little help to the thread's composer, but let's call a spade a spade; management cares very little for the "human" side, the worker giving an honest days work. it's all about saving money, pushing #'s and squeezing performance. The only instances I can recall where personal influence comes into play is when a bargaining unit employee will bend over for them completely...

10 drivers canned for 10 new hires is roughly $140/hr or $200/hr OT savings on the 'ole payroll....

Perhaps if your supervisor is reading this thread he will be kind enough to explain. Otherwise it sounds like you are commenting on the delusional rantings and ravings of a supervisor that should never have been promoted. :happy-very:

Or you have been the victim of the motor mouth scam. Some management will feed false "inside" information to someone they don't like in an effort to discredit them as a source

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
A few years ago there were 2 serious accidents in my center in 1 day. 1 was a roll over, pkg car totaled-no injury to driver, he was was ticketed by State Police. He was suspended till investigation completed & then fired. He grieved firing, local hearing was held 2 months later and got his job back. The other accident would have been a head on collision but our driver got stopped and had the e-brake set. Other driver had crossed the center line and hit UPS that was off the road as far as possible. That driver was taken out of service but paid for 8 hours & was on vacation the next week. Investigation was completed and was ruled unavoidable, never missed a day. A couple of days later another driver had a runaway, pkg car totaled & driver was suspended. He missed a month or so till local hearing and got his job back too. No injuries in all 3 but sure was a wake up call to everyone in the center.

upsrwife

Ok, I am not the nagging pain in the ass wife, my husband just really isn't a computer person at all, he doesn't even have an e-mail address. his life is work and our son. he knows i posted here.
the supervisor who fired him wasn't a road supervisor, it was the center supervisor, who drove out to the scene and fired him. he also fired 3 other employee's this week for similiar small stuff.

he is not "suspended", he is fired, they told him his insurance stopped yesterday.

there is no part of the story i am leaving out. i'm not an idiot. i'm law enforcement myself and i'm not just telling his side. i said it was his fault, he was ticketed. but it was a very minor accident. no injury. a bent in fender and flat tire. his boss who fired him on the spot did it before he even ever knew if there was going to be a tow. then did it again in the morning after he said that it was towed afterward (to be determined).

they haven't asked for a uring test, nor has he ever had one ever. i guess it's just something they don't do at his center unless they feel the need. most of his friends haven't ever had one either.

he has written three grievances. he is turning them in on monday. his union reps ( i even talked to the local pres) said not to worry, but that's pretty hard when youre on the other end.

my husband tells me everything. he hasn't had anything happen at work in the last year, and before that it was just stuff like getting stuck in the dirt write ups and his truck scraping a branch once.

as i posted earlier, the contract here is firing for teir 3 accident, i basically was asking if when the union says and all his driver friends say that we shouldn't worry, he will get his job back, is that an accurate statement?

thanks again for the replies

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I too would be mortified if my husband stuck his nose in my employment area. He has and I was.
That being said, I think for the majority of men, their wives are better at getting info, than they are, and she searched and came up with this place. Women are searchers, gatherers, nurturers. We like to fix things.
I have spent more time searching for help on things for my husband than he has. I know how, he doesnt. Hes not stupid, he just doesnt get it. Surfing the net to me is shopping, info, details, etc.
To him its UFO sites, and big foot, and motorcycles.
When he needs bike parts or a flight, guess who does it, yup, the girl.
So I think she is trying to help him, now doing it without his knowledge, would probaly not be good, and his own words would be best, but ya gotta find help where you can, and I think she sought us out, and thats good.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Perhaps if your supervisor is reading this thread he will be kind enough to explain. Otherwise it sounds like you are commenting on the delusional rantings and ravings of a supervisor that should never have been promoted. :happy-very:

Or you have been the victim of the motor mouth scam. Some management will feed false "inside" information to someone they don't like in an effort to discredit them as a source

You have everything figured out don'tcha? :knockedout:

This person was being brutally honest; Not delusional rantings and ravings, and certainly wasn't "testing my demeanor" or etc. I am surprised you won't just submit here and admit that it's wrong for management to welcome a longer bid period more because they can buy more time to fire union employees rather than the reason they SHOULD be; because there's less switching around/moving people!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Are you sure you typed that right? I couldve swore I read that UPS investigated and said the accident was unavoidable...lol

I did type that right, unaviodable... I think the Div Mgr wanted him charged with it but the Sup, Ctr Mgr & Safety Dept went to bat and did the honorable thing. This was definitely an exception to what we're all used too. Usually the only good answer to how could this been avoided is "stayed home".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
"they haven't asked for a urine test, nor has he ever had one. I guess they don't do that at his center." ( this is not verbatim) WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! Any time there is an accident of this type there should be a urine test. That's DOT regulations!!!!!! If I were him and they hadn't asked for a UA I would be going to my own doctor and having one done, then they can't come back later and make any other accusations. Let your BA know that they haven't done a UA. Also our BA's automatically file for ANY termination. It's standard policy.

browniehound

UPSRWIFE,
I'm sorry if I came across as being harsh when I asked about the urine sample and suggesting you left some facts out. The only reason I posted that was because the majority of people posting "on behalf" of a UPS employee are the employee themeselves and lying through their teeth. They always leave the important facts out.

I didn't want to take your husbands situation lightly (its happening to him and not me), but I was so confident that he would be Ok. I've never heard any of our drivers fired for one accident when its not his fault yet deemed "preventable" by the company.

If the facts you present are 100% accurate, I would bet $10,000 your husband will be back at work very soon.

Brownie :peaceful:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UPSRWIFE,
I'm sorry if I came across as being harsh when I asked about the urine sample and suggesting you left some facts out. The only reason I posted that was because the majority of people posting "on behalf" of a UPS employee are the employee themeselves and lying through their teeth. They always leave the important facts out.

I didn't want to take your husbands situation lightly (its happening to him and not me), but I was so confident that he would be Ok. I've never heard any of our drivers fired for one accident when its not his fault yet deemed "preventable" by the company.

If the facts you present are 100% accurate, I would bet $10,000 your husband will be back at work very soon.
But they have to pursue it. I have noticed with everything at UPS and basically life, you have to fight for it.
Brownie :peaceful:

paidslave

HI, since we are union employees we are under contract. If your post is accurate with no info left out, prior accidents ect...The company sounds to me is under BREACH of a Written Contract...Your husband is entitled because he is working under a contract a WRITTEN WARNING for his conduct for any termination to be upheld...

This being said the union is stepping up by filing these grievances....It sounds as though the Supervisor forgot that we are under contract and Employees need a written warning before any termination.
There were no injuries so this wouldn't be a tier 3 accident and since there were no drugs are acholol involved it was an accident.
Your supervisor should be disciplined..Call the 800-220-4126 number and file a complaint this way it is documented that your disagree with his unfair desicion.

And make sure he files quickly for unemployment so the state will know about this and he can collect some of his benefits that he paid into.

I hope this helps and use your judgement but this is what i would do!

The supervisor is leaving no choice but for you to stand up and exhaust your resources!

tieguy

Banned
You have everything figured out don'tcha? :knockedout:

This person was being brutally honest; Not delusional rantings and ravings, and certainly wasn't "testing my demeanor" or etc. I am surprised you won't just submit here and admit that it's wrong for management to welcome a longer bid period more because they can buy more time to fire union employees rather than the reason they SHOULD be; because there's less switching around/moving people!

Think about it for a minute:

we don't fire people very well since most get their jobs back.

the cost of firing someone is very expensive

the time and effort of training someone is very expensive

the biggest destroyer of your centers results is turnover

the time, training and effort required to run a second bid is an expense of time and resources

Your premise is rediculous. So again either your source is whacked out delusional or he is setting you up to look like a schumck.

paidslave

Think about it for a minute:

we don't fire people very well since most get their jobs back.

the cost of firing someone is very expensive

the time and effort of training someone is very expensive

the biggest destroyer of your centers results is turnover

the time, training and effort required to run a second bid is an expense of time and resources

Your premise is rediculous. So again either your source is whacked out delusional or he is setting you up to look like a schumck.

Some Management Loves turnover so they can brown up and look better on paper!!

Some management likes the havoc so they can claim they are doing their job....When things run good, management looks to good ,and they are afraid for thier jobs!

Who really needs a center manager if everything is done correctly?

tieguy

Banned
Some Management Loves turnover so they can brown up and look better on paper!!

Some management likes the havoc so they can claim they are doing their job....When things run good, management looks to good ,and they are afraid for thier jobs!

Who really needs a center manager if everything is done correctly?

I really don't know how to answer such a bizarre concept.

It would be like me saying I'm going to repaint my house every weekend. The amount of work it takes to do what you and do less suggest is astronimical already without their generating all this rework.

No sane management person would ever employ such tactics.

Channahon

his boss who fired him on the spot did it before he even ever knew if there was going to be a tow. then did it again in the morning after he said that it was towed afterward (to be determined).

Did your husband tell you what the union steward said to him after he got fired the next morning?

Generally, UPS management will speak to the steward first to advise of the situation and action that will be taken by the company. At least that how I dealt with disciplinary action with dealing with a union employee.

That should be a good indication of how the union will back him at his hearing. Based on what his union brothers are stating on this thread, he should get his job back. I know it's hard not to worry, but if his record is as clean as you say, he should be back to work.

upsgrunt

Ok, I am not the nagging pain in the ass wife, my husband just really isn't a computer person at all, he doesn't even have an e-mail address. his life is work and our son. he knows i posted here.
the supervisor who fired him wasn't a road supervisor, it was the center supervisor, who drove out to the scene and fired him. he also fired 3 other employee's this week for similiar small stuff.

he is not "suspended", he is fired, they told him his insurance stopped yesterday.

there is no part of the story i am leaving out. i'm not an idiot. i'm law enforcement myself and i'm not just telling his side. i said it was his fault, he was ticketed. but it was a very minor accident. no injury. a bent in fender and flat tire. his boss who fired him on the spot did it before he even ever knew if there was going to be a tow. then did it again in the morning after he said that it was towed afterward (to be determined).

they haven't asked for a uring test, nor has he ever had one ever. i guess it's just something they don't do at his center unless they feel the need. most of his friends haven't ever had one either.

he has written three grievances. he is turning them in on monday. his union reps ( i even talked to the local pres) said not to worry, but that's pretty hard when youre on the other end.

my husband tells me everything. he hasn't had anything happen at work in the last year, and before that it was just stuff like getting stuck in the dirt write ups and his truck scraping a branch once.

as i posted earlier, the contract here is firing for teir 3 accident, i basically was asking if when the union says and all his driver friends say that we shouldn't worry, he will get his job back, is that an accurate statement?

thanks again for the replies

Even if he was fired, your insurance doesn't get canceled that fast does it? I thought that you had a 90 day buffer zone in there.